Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
araymond16

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt v6
Bowtie Black Installation?

I got the rpidesign's billet blackout bowties:

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1727

To install them, am I just supposed to peel off the tape and apply them over the gold part of the emblem (so that it sticks out a bit)? or do I have to remove the bowtie, take out the gold part, then put the black part in where the gold was supposed to be.

2010 camaro 2lt v6 bonestock... for now
araymond16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
UberFlaco
Certified Zombie Hunter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
On the front bowtie you have to remove the entire emblem. it has two horizontal clips which you pull down and two vertical clips which release in opposite directions. On the rear bowtie I drilled right through the middle untill hitting the adhesive (Very nerve racking). once I was through I stuck a screwdriver through and popped it off (more of a shatter really). Hope that helps a bit. Found some really good threads here with details. I'll try to link one.
UberFlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
UberFlaco
Certified Zombie Hunter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Link

Hope this helps. The bowties being installed here aren't the same as the one's you have I think so adapt it to your own needs. Ignore the rear bowtie instructions. If I'm correct you only have to swap out the gold part of the rear bowtie not the whole emblem itself. drill it and pop it out then clean out the adhesive. PM me if you have any questions.

Link: http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archi...mblem-kit.aspx
UberFlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
araymond16

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt v6
I just put my bowties over the factory ones on the car :/ I am thinking of taking it to a shop where they can remove the black bowtie from the factory one, and do what you said above.. rather have professionals remove hardcore adhesive stuff than me

2010 camaro 2lt v6 bonestock... for now
araymond16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by araymond16 View Post
I got the rpidesign's billet blackout bowties:

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1727

To install them, am I just supposed to peel off the tape and apply them over the gold part of the emblem (so that it sticks out a bit)? or do I have to remove the bowtie, take out the gold part, then put the black part in where the gold was supposed to be.
$135!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
I just installed the bow ties noted by the OP. They were a christmas present from my daughter.

I used a 3/16" drill bit to drill a couple of holes into the OEM gold bow tie. I only let the drill bit get to the back side of the gold bow tie.

I used a flat blade screw driver to pry/break off the gold bow ties.

I used some "Goo Gone" glue remover to remove any remaining glue.

I installed the new bow ties without any problem.

I also received some OEM "SS" (white because I have a 1SS) emblems that I installed just under the "CAMARO" lettering on the front fenders.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Hitter11

Drives: 2010 Black Chevrolet 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
I just installed the bow ties noted by the OP. They were a christmas present from my daughter.

I used a 3/16" drill bit to drill a couple of holes into the OEM gold bow tie. I only let the drill bit get to the back side of the gold bow tie.

I used a flat blade screw driver to pry/break off the gold bow ties.

I used some "Goo Gone" glue remover to remove any remaining glue.

I installed the new bow ties without any problem.

I also received some OEM "SS" (white because I have a 1SS) emblems that I installed just under the "CAMARO" lettering on the front fenders.

Any other ways of installing this? Drilling into the emblem makes me really nervous. But I'd rather install something similar to the OP's emblem because I think it will look better and last longer than the vinyl.

Just wondering...
Hitter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
imsuperdave
superbad IOM

Drives: 07 Suburban Z71, 2010 IOM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitter11 View Post
Any other ways of installing this? Drilling into the emblem makes me really nervous. But I'd rather install something similar to the OP's emblem because I think it will look better and last longer than the vinyl.

Just wondering...
This is really the easiest way to do it, the only thing I would add is once you drill through the factory bowtie I took a heat gun and heated it for about 20-30 seconds and used a pick to to pull the bowtie off easily. Good Luck!
imsuperdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
technoside2

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Send a message via AIM to technoside2
Link: http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archi...mblem-kit.aspx

If you follow this guys link for this, you'll just get frustrated with the front bowtie removal. I took a Dril to both the front and the back and then cleaned off the glue with goo gone. Then stuck them right on. I didn't want to do it but once I did it I was like why have I been stressing about this. The end result, I'm very happy with. Good Luck.
technoside2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE
I followed the instructions on the above link with no problems...definitely a two person job though.

I am experimenting with painted bow ties. Took them off...taped them off...sanded with 1000 and 2000 wet/dry...black primer, then gloss black automotive paint, covered with auto clear coat...

If you can tell, I still have some tape down in the grooves to get out...just need a finer edge hobby knife.

We'll have to see how durable this is. If it eventually fails then I will go with the OP's inserts.
Attached Images

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
TIE FIGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
strobi
MJ STROH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LTRS
I need to take off the entire front and rear OEM bowtie assembly, I bought some black billet replacements...so..how do you remove the entire OEM front and back bowties? would appreciate your recommendations STROBI
strobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobi View Post
I need to take off the entire front and rear OEM bowtie assembly, I bought some black billet replacements...so..how do you remove the entire OEM front and back bowties? would appreciate your recommendations STROBI

Follow this link: http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archi...mblem-kit.aspx

Definitely a TWO person job, so make sure you have an extra set of hands to help you.

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
TIE FIGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Defenderworx
Accessory Guru

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Instructions for the DefenderWorx bowties:

Replacement Bowtie Installation
Instructions
For both front and back bowtie make sure to clean surface with rubbing alcohol before applying
replacement bowties to the car.
Front Bowtie: Reach both hands underneath the factory bowtie housing (whole chrome piece)
on each side. Feel around for the two clips on the back of the bowtie housing. Pull both of the
clips down and forcefully pull/wiggle the bowtie housing out. Flip over the housing and poke out
the gold bowtie through the back using a flat head screwdriver and the four holes on the back of
the bowtie housing unit. Clean the area and replace with the DefenderWorx Bowtie. Snap the
bowtie housing back into place on the grill and enjoy your new DefenderWorx Replacement
Bowtie.
Back Bowtie: Take the largest size drill bit that you have and slowly begin to drill through the
middle of the factory gold bowtie. As you drill deeper eventually there will be white shavings
coming off of the gold bowtie. When you drill through the gold bowtie stop drilling and take a flat
head screw driver and/or a small pick device and pop out the factory bowtie threw the drilling in
the middle. After you have removed all of the existing gold factory bowtie, now take your new DefenderWorx Replacement Bowtie and remove the film from the 3M Automotive tape. Place the
DefenderWorx Bowtie in the middle of the housing where the old factory bowtie was and enjoy!

You can also use a heat gun or hair dryer as we originally did. Sometimes, the chrome piece surrounding the gold part of the bowtie bubbled, so be carefull not to heat that long if you decide to go that route. Please call with any questions!