Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
What exactly is a "tune"?

1. If I have the ACM - does it get rid of that?
2. does it add HP to a L99 but still run OK around town?
3.Is is all programming?
4. To just get rid of the ACM and a mild version, as I'm using it as a DD, how much approximately?

Thanks in advance....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
1. I think you mean AFM - Active Fuel Management, and yes you can shut that off - Basically a tune is what you want it to be, completely change the dynamics of the car with programming - software only - from the sparks to the transmission, shift points etc. It is really down to you preference and if you have or want any aftermarket mods.
2. As for HP - no not a major impact without any other supporting mods - CAI, headers, catback etc.
3. Yes - all programming
4. Not sure what you mean, but there is a 'range' device that plugs into the ODB to disable AFM, or you can get a tuner like the SCT, and a custom tune - talk to TORQ in Mirimar, Janetty etc, quite a few chaps around
One word of caution - if you value the warranty don't tune. My warranty is long gone!
IMHO - i wouldn't tune unless you were adding aftermarket parts like cat backs, CAI etc, you will not see any real gains,
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
1. I think you mean AFM - Active Fuel Management, and yes you can shut that off - Basically a tune is what you want it to be, completely change the dynamics of the car with programming - software only - from the sparks to the transmission, shift points etc. It is really down to you preference and if you have or want any aftermarket mods.
2. As for HP - no not a major impact without any other supporting mods - CAI, headers, catback etc.
3. Yes - all programming
4. Not sure what you mean, but there is a 'range' device that plugs into the ODB to disable AFM, or you can get a tuner like the SCT, and a custom tune - talk to TORQ in Mirimar, Janetty etc, quite a few chaps around
One word of caution - if you value the warranty don't tune. My warranty is long gone!
IMHO - i wouldn't tune unless you were adding aftermarket parts like cat backs, CAI etc, you will not see any real gains,
thank you - sometimes it is so hard to get a complete answer here and you just did that - great advice - car is brand new and has no motor mods but a CAI, so I'll wait - or maybe never...this is a "around town" car and gets about 6K miles a year....
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Your welcome Sir! I've had mine for near 4 years now, and only 28k miles and still in love with it. I do a lot of mods myself. the CAM work was done in a shop.

Enjoy the Camaro and this forum!
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
thank you - sometimes it is so hard to get a complete answer here and you just did that - great advice - car is brand new and has no motor mods but a CAI, so I'll wait - or maybe never...this is a "around town" car and gets about 6K miles a year....
Never say never. I will have owned my car for a year this month, less than 4000 miles on it and look at my sig.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, Texas speed 418 LS3 235 /243 .621 / .624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive and port matched blower plate, IW 8 rib pullies, AEM meth kit, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Glen e

I 'm sure I can say never on perf mods, just not worth it for me...the perf is fine the way it is .....being 62, I'm past my need for speed after owning many shelbys, M6's and the like in the past...

Now if I can make it sound or look better, I'm in!!!

Probably blasphemy here but I did the CAI just because it looked so damn good! LOL
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
converted

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary
Quote:
I 'm sure I can say never on perf mods, just not worth it for me...the perf is fine the way it is .....being 62, I'm past my need for speed after owning many shelbys, M6's and the like in the past...

Probably blasphemy here but I did the CAI just because it looked so damn good! LOL
I would not say blasphemy we decided on the cai intake for the same reason. They all preform about equal and that one just caught our eye. Since tho it has gone alot further than ever expected cam headers tune etc etc... But hell even the cam we chose was largely decided by the sound!!! Night fury yes!!
converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I have a SCT, CAI, and Catback exhaust and love it! AFM is disabled, I changed the shift points, and the rev limiter and its like a new car. I have 13k miles on mine, wish I would've done the tune sooner
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:

[QUOTE=converted;6743607]I would not say blasphemy we decided on the cai intake for the same reason. QUOTE]

Thanks guys, glad to hear that!! Thanks for choosing CAI Inc.!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote