Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #113
Allan Hernandez

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT/GrayHStripe
Send a message via Yahoo to Allan Hernandez
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyk1 View Post
One thing I think some of yall arent really thinking about is not whether the v6 upgrade power wise is worth it or not but think about is it worth it in the OP's situation. Perspective of upgrading from a already established person is different from a 19 yr old. Meaning if i were 40 yrs old per say then yea maybe the upgrade is worth it but at 19 assuming living with parents or definately getting financial help from them I cant as a adult (I know 19 is technically adult) recommend you spend the extra money for a few more horses. Its other things that right now you should probably use your money for. Trust me I have went that route before when I was in my teens and I would have been A LOT further along in life if I had taken advice that I was given by my parents. Just cause you have the money to do something doesnt mean you have to spend it. In general our society has gotten into the habit of spending before saving and I just dont want to see you start that pattern cause once you do hard to change it especially at 19.
and im 19
Allan Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #114
rowerybo

Drives: explorer
Buying my own at 22, junior in college. Honestly, in everyday driving you won't use the extra power. Check your insurance in the SS, it is going to go up and then think about how much gas you burn currently, add 30cents a gallon and then some for the price and added consumption. I would say, if you can't cover the ownership costs and have SOME sort of $ left over I would stick with the v6 for now. Once you enter college you will want to do many things and being stuck working to pay off a car will limit your experience. If you absolutely, positively have to have to have the V8 then IMHO I would save as though I was paying for the V8 and see if I could actually live with the price, if so I would get it.
rowerybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #115
Allan Hernandez

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT/GrayHStripe
Send a message via Yahoo to Allan Hernandez
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowerybo View Post
Buying my own at 22, junior in college. Honestly, in everyday driving you won't use the extra power. Check your insurance in the SS, it is going to go up and then think about how much gas you burn currently, add 30cents a gallon and then some for the price and added consumption. I would say, if you can't cover the ownership costs and have SOME sort of $ left over I would stick with the v6 for now. Once you enter college you will want to do many things and being stuck working to pay off a car will limit your experience. If you absolutely, positively have to have to have the V8 then IMHO I would save as though I was paying for the V8 and see if I could actually live with the price, if so I would get it.
Rowerybo is rite!Its simple can you afford it?If you can then go for it?If upgrading is going to put financial stress on you then obviously its not worth it bro!Im 19 and bought my camaro when I was 18 yeah i could technically afford to go for the 2ss but it was going to be tight with higher payments,insurance and gas not to mention other expenses.So at the end of the day my 2lt/rs was a perfect choice for my first car and maybe in the near future when im thru with college ile find myself upgrading!
Allan Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #116
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
To me, a muscle/pony car has to have a V8 in it. I'm still waiting to buy mine, but when I do I'll get the V8. I actually have enough right now to buy the V6, but I'll wait another year or so and save enough to buy the V8.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #117
AKAviking14
SoCal HT5

Drives: Summit White 2012 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowerybo View Post
I understand. I think I am going to hold onto the v6 for now. Btw I'm a sophomore in college :P

YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/akaviking14

Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/akaviking14

2012 Summit White 2SS/RS
AKAviking14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #118
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Believe me I wish I had not spent so much money on cars when I was in my 20's, I would have a lot more money saved now that I am retired. Used to be I had money but no time to enjoy it, now I have time but no money.
This was also my thinking. The V6 offered a TON at the price point. Was it the best performing vehicle I could afford? No...but I don't want to only afford my car. I also have a healthy 401k, a Roth IRA, and very recently turned 25, so the way I see it I am still way ahead of the game for most folks my age.

And if I were jumping into the 30k+ price range...there are some other vehicles I'd start looking at anyway...

I will however at some point have a resto-mod with a V8 and a nigh orgasmic burble to it. But that won't be till I get my own garage and stuff, and the V6 does more than enough to turn heads and be fun to drive at the same time, and be sensible enough to drive everyday. Love my car, and don't regret not having the V8 at all.

So OP, you gotta figure out what you want, and how you want to do it, and make sure that doesn't prevent you from having the flexibility to do what you want in the future.
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #119
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP be carful starting out your adult life making bad financial decisions. The SS will cost you at least 33% more than you are spending now for 10% or less more fun. Keep your car and save for the 6th Gen Camaro.

There is no doubt it will be a big improvement on the 5th gen. If not, I think you will have the choice of even better cars. Stick with what you have and enjoy it. Camaros are big fun no matter which engine you have.

Live for the moment and savor it.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #120
AKAviking14
SoCal HT5

I appreciate the responses. I am going to keep my v6 for now and be thankful for the power that I have rather than wishing I had more.

YouTube Channel:

Facebook Page:

2012 Summit White 2SS/RS
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #121
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAviking14 View Post
I appreciate the responses. I am going to keep my v6 for now and be thankful for the power that I have rather than wishing I had more.
Smart! Enjoy your car.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #122
AKAviking14
SoCal HT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Smart! Enjoy your car.
Thanks! You too.

YouTube Channel:

Facebook Page:

2012 Summit White 2SS/RS
Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #123
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
take whatever looks better. not all of us need racecars..
Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #124
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Kill two birds with one stone and get a convertible SS.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #125
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
lol @ the financial advice given ITT. why don't we look at numbers for a moment

correct me if i'm wrong but OP states he's 19 and paid for it himself. OP how much money did you put down on the V6? 10 grand? so you still owe like 12-15 grand right?

so we're saying he should trade in his V6, which he'll get like 20 for, then subtract 10-15 grand from that which he still owes, so he's losing a fortune. then turn around and commit to 31-35k for another 5 years??? at age 19???? FOR WHAT? 100 horses???

you guys are nuts
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro ss rs chevy lt