Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Could be that it runs the way it's supposed to now. Just a thought.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
2010IBMSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Could be that it runs the way it's supposed to now. Just a thought.

Yeah that's what I'm thinkin.....disappointing though. Maybe the Volant needs to go.....

Gonna see if a custom tune with stock intake would make a difference.....
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #17
Kwik

Drives: car
Seat of the pants is no way to set up you car. Put it on a dyno and really see what the parts are doing on your car. Jannetty did a very comprehensive comparison of the leading CAI packages. Do a search for it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
My experience with harleys is they tend to run best left stock. all the aftermarket stuff tends to screw up eventually. remember the manufacturer does extensive testing to hopefully give you something worry free..... that goes out the window when you start adding aftermarket parts that have not gone through the same R&D
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
Seat of the pants is no way to set up you car. Put it on a dyno and really see what the parts are doing on your car. Jannetty did a very comprehensive comparison of the leading CAI packages. Do a search for it.
Yeah, but Volant didn't participate. I asked about that right after the results were released.

If you get a custom tune they will be able to correct the MAF table with your intake to get better results. That is most likely your problem. Unless the canned tune is specific to your intake and other configurations, you're not getting the most out of your tune.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
CombatVet0311

Drives: blk 2010 camaro 2ss l99
does a manufacturer make a tube that mates up to the factory airbox?

I wanna put the stock box back on but I don't want the factory " noise suppressor" tube
CombatVet0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
OPP

Drives: 2018 MBM ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatVet0311 View Post

I wanna put the stock box back on but I don't want the factory " noise suppressor" tube
Yes but I can't remember the name. They make replacement high flow blue filters too.
OPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #22
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
SLP "BlackHawk" is the tube that mates with the factory Airbox. Their Intake setup is the Blackhawk tube and a High-flow filter (Blue).
mpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #23
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010IBMSS View Post
I took my CAI off because I had to take it in for reprogramming of the BCM, I know I didn't have to, but I don't want the dealership to blame the CAI for anything... anywho, I feel the car is a bit stronger with the Factory intake. Is that just me or has it happened to anyone else?

I had the CAI for about 2 months now, I also had it tuned by ******* with the diablo sport.

any thoughts?
It's just you, lol. All kidding aside it could be the particular(Volant) CAI you have or the tune. The only ways to really find out is:

1. Take it to the track and test both.
2. Put it on the dyno to see which one make more power and where.

Quote:

I think New Era sells just the tube for those that want to keep their stock box.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #24
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPC_2010 View Post
Check out GM High Tech Performance's website for an older tech article on their CAI testing. The stock unit actually came in number 2 in performance against some of the top brands - it just isn't as sexy or loud as the others.
There were a several problems with thier testing that has been hashed out MANY times. The biggest one was that there was a HUGE temp swing that day and the OEM box was test first, meaning it was tested in MUCH cooler air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010IBMSS View Post
I have the VOLANT cold air intake, plastic tube, tuned.....
The initial Volant units had problems where they were getting CEL's from increased FT's. They supposedly redid the intake to correct this but I haven't heard much since that happened. Do you know if you have the updated version?

Was it tuned to YOUR intake or just the handheld boxed tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
My experience with harleys is they tend to run best left stock. all the aftermarket stuff tends to screw up eventually. remember the manufacturer does extensive testing to hopefully give you something worry free..... that goes out the window when you start adding aftermarket parts that have not gone through the same R&D
There's a HUGE difference between adding parts to a Harley and adding them to a vehicle that has a adaptive PCM. The PCM will correct the AFR for increased intake and exhaust, to a point. Adding parts to any carbed vehicle will necessitate a manual retuning for the changes.

Quote:

There are a few companies that make a replacement tube. While they look better than the OEM accordian tube with resonators, they have been shown to not perform any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPP View Post
Yes but I can't remember the name. They make replacement high flow blue filters too.
Highflow filters have also been shown not to increase HP. I don't know the filtering differences, but performance is equal to OEM.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
2010IBMSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
I had the tune custom made for the intake...I think it is just me.

I asked my tuner and he said that because I put my car back to stock and because I unhooked the battery, right now the FT's are being learned. Therefore I am feeling the extra kick because the car is learning the FT's again. He told me to wait a couple of miles and I will notice the drop of performance once the FT's are learned.

maybe it is not too late for VOLANT to impress me....

waiting on the GMPP intake, but it doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon.
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
Well I agree that generally the manufacturer puts in a lot more R&D into their parts than aftermarket companies. But you have to realize a lot of that R&D is aimed at a performance vs cost perspective. They have to keep costs below a certain point so that it will be cheap enough for them to make a profit and people will still buy it.

With the aftermarket, there often isn't as much of a restriction on cost because people will pay a pretty penny for something that performs better. So often times aftermarket companies will use higher quality parts than stock parts. The perfect example is wheels. A 3-piece forged wheel weighs less and the finish lasts longer than stock cast wheels, but they cost $4000+ in most cases. Just imagine if GM put $4000 wheels on every car just because it was more durable? Who would buy a $20k Aveo??

In the case of the wheels, and with many other parts that come stock. GM builds it just good enough for 95% of consumers and long enough to outlast the factory warranty. Now, I don't want to imply that they're trying to make stuff last just long enough so that they can wash their hands of any liability, I'm just saying cost is VERY important and cheaper parts lower cost.

It is also obvious that GM does not follow the cheapest route in all cases. They need their cars to compete in a very tough market, and they need to satisfy their customers so they'll keep coming back! So I have no doubt that my stock parts will exceed my expectations in many cases! I mean, who can claim the car is built cheaply when they include a "competitive launch mode" in the car that does not void your warranty? I know that's off topic, but that's friggin awesome!