Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Post Camaro Convertible First Drive Review by Jalopnik

2011 Chevy Camaro Convertible: First Drive

Full review at http://jalopnik.com/5743351/2011-che...le-first-drive

Quote:
The Chevy Camaro convertible drives just like the Chevy Camaro coupe... except with one key difference; with the top down you can actually see out the back of it.

Camaro's been fighting the new Mustang for over a year now like a heavyweight with one hand tied behind his back. While the 'stang comes in three flavors — coupe, convertible and GT500, the Camaro comes in one. Despite the handicap, Chevy beat Ford in muscle car sales this past year for the first time in two decades.

That's because although I was out here in sunny Southern California four years ago to drive the Chevy Camaro Convertible concept, that whole "Carpocalypse" thing got in the way of GM actually producing the real thing.

Name:  rjtcamaroconvertible1.jpg
Views: 4945
Size:  143.9 KB

Until now. With this summer's introduction of the 2011 Chevy Camaro Convertible, the bowtie-badged brand's getting a second stocky fist to pummel its crosstown rivals as both continue their UFC-like muscle car war (let's just ignore Dodge and the Challenger for a moment. As sales would indicate, buyers are ignoring them too).

The first thing you notice when you step into the drop-top with the top down is how much more vision you have. It's refreshing, especially after driving the Camaro coupe, which, thanks to its massive C-pillar, is sort of like driving around in a small cave. Although that might do a disservice to caves. Whatever. Anyway, the act of removing the entire roof of a car tends to fix that problem.

Like its hard-topped brother, the Camaro convertible comes in the same trim levels and engine choices. The base model gets the same 312 horsepower direct-injection V6 engine. I have no idea how that engine performs but I'm sure someone does. I spent yesterday driving an LS3-flavored Camaro SS convertible and I'm happy to report that the glorious 6.2-liter V8 throws down its phallic 426 horsepower gauntlet with the same level of satisfaction it always does.

To gain access to that beating V8 heart, you'll get a standard six-speed manual transmission. We also here there's an optional six-speed automatic, but like the V6, we don't know nuthin' about it.

With the manual gearbox and the V8, the convertible is just a touch slower than the Coupe, but at a tenth of a second, it's a difference indistinguishable to anyone but V-Box-wielding buff book writers. Sadly, none were available yesterday to help us distinguish between the two. In my not-yet-patented stoplight-to-stoplight test in downtown San Diego, I found little to complain about in the acceleration department.

But frankly, you can put an LS engine in pretty much anything and I'm a happy camper. Note to GM engineers: Please stop looking at me funny every time I bring up the idea of an LS-engined Chevy Cruze. I think it'll work and that's all that matters, OK? Stop laughing. It's really not nice. Thanks.

Name:  rjtcamaroconvertible2.jpg
Views: 3529
Size:  161.6 KB

I digress. Back to the topless mullet-mad muscle car.

So acceleration's good. What about handling dynamics? Well, to talk about handling you have to poke a very touchy subject for Chevy — weight.

No surprise — the convertible's even heavier than the coupe. What was a really beefy car before is even more husky with its top off. And if the Camaro's Cartman-like 3,849 lb. (for the SS with a manual transmission) weight made you queasy, then you'll lose your lunch over the drop-top's super heavyweight class-level 4,116 lb. weight.

But, what do you expect? It's a convertible, it needs to be bigger-boned to increase stiffness lost from dropping that claustrophobic top. Even more so in the case of the Camaro as Chevy tells us that they simply were not willing to soften the suspension. It's a point Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser made abundantly clear to me every time I needled him over the weight gain as we drove through the first half of our day near the Mexican border.

Name:  rjtcamaroconvertible3.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  139.6 KB

Oppenheiser explained that Chevy, in addition to a big top crossbar, added four strategic reinforcements to achieve a level of torsional stiffness just a touch shy of the coupe. The first is a tower-to-tower brace under the hood, the second is a transmission support reinforcement brace, third is an underbody tunnel brace and fourth is front and rear underbody "V" braces.

On the tight-and-twisties South of San Diego, the added reinforcement pays off. This is no boulevard cruiser like your pappy used to drive. In almost every way — from donuts to oversteer — the Camaro convertible feels exactly like the Camaro coupe.

Look, here's the thing about the Chevy Camaro Convertible — like the coupe, it's an acquired taste. The positives and negatives of one all still apply to the other. Except you can see out the back of this one.

http://jalopnik.com/5743351/2011-che...le-first-drive
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
CyberGamaro

Drives: BLK 13 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Sounds like a nice, positive review
4200 Status
CyberGamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Krakers

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert Black/Black Top
Send a message via MSN to Krakers Send a message via Yahoo to Krakers
I can't wait to pick mine up in a few weeks from my dealer
Old 01-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakers View Post
I can't wait to pick mine up in a few weeks from my dealer
Few... "weeks"?????? Im jealous! I ordered in beginning of Nov and im still a good month out from delivery!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Motortrend and jaopnik need to stick with the chevy cruze when it comes to testing a car. There is no way what so ever anything wrong with the visibility in the Camaro I mastered seeing out of it from the moment I stuck the keys in the ignition.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
CamaroShayne

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS-SS Red Jewel
Love the color! Love the car! Not sold on the XM/OnStar fin! Please GM, take it off!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
2Fast4you

Drives: 1956 Chevy BelAir NoPost 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroShayne View Post
Love the color! Love the car! Not sold on the XM/OnStar fin! Please GM, take it off!
2Fast4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
picard2112
picard2112

Drives: 2005 Tacoma/2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Motortrend and jaopnik need to stick with the chevy cruze when it comes to testing a car. There is no way what so ever anything wrong with the visibility in the Camaro I mastered seeing out of it from the moment I stuck the keys in the ignition.
I agree...whats the big problem with the visibility? If you know how to drive...its hardly an issue.
picard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I'll second that.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS

I agree that the Onstar/XM sharkfin is a little out of place, but where else would they have put it?

Also, consider me the only happy Camaro fan re: the car's weight. 4,116lbs is awesome. The Camaro is one big, safe beautiful car that performs excellent. It's Herculean dimensions and weight are much appreciated, at least until truck drivers drive sober, and soccer moms wielding 6,000lb SUV's are all finally prescribed valium.

Edit: oh, and an LS3 with a Chevy Cruze strapped to it would be much appreciated, too.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
macc24

Drives: IOM w/racing stripes black matte
LS engine in a Chevy Cruze...I'd buy that!
IOM Black Racing Stripes Current Mods: CAI Intake, Solo Catback Exhaust (thanks to my awesome wife! 10 year anniversary), Solo Hi Flow Cats. Future Mods: Ported Throttle body, Tune (by a player to be named later) Miniature Arc Reactor.

macc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
CamaroShayne

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS-SS Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post

I agree that the Onstar/XM sharkfin is a little out of place, but where else would they have put it?

They were able to hide the radio antenna in the rear spoiler, you would think they could come up with another clever solution with the fin.?.?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
I will never understand why Chevy went the tacky approach and slopped the third brake light on top of the trunk rather than slightly redesigning the spoiler (for so-equipped vehicles) to incorporate it much more cleanly. Heck, I think it'd even look better that way in the hard top variety.....

Oh well, beautiful car regardless.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
Still do not like the vert but I'm sure they will sell.
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote