Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Dr. Color Chip Review with pics

Hello all, Some low down egg suckin sheap stealin slack jawed low life scuffed my baby!!! Well, it is a daily driver so it was bound to happen. I park way out in BFE, but it is like a magnet. Somebody just always wants to park next to me. So I wanted to touch things up and after reading a few reviews on Dr. Color chip I gave it a try. Here is my hands on review. First, it arrived fast and the instructions are easy to understand. The touch up paint is a good match even on my Red Jewel which is a tough paint to match. The little brushes that come in the kit are really cheap and I would have preferred a little better quality brush, but they will get the job done. The best part of the kit is the SealAct. It is what makes the kit worth while and makes the system work better than touch up alone. Once the touch up paint is dry you go over the area with the seal act and it smooths and blends into one of the better touch ups I have seen. Now it is no replacement for a professional body shop, but for small spots on a daily driver I recommend it. I cleaned the area first with alcohol to remove grime and wax. Then touch up paint and let dry. Then SealAct to blend. The pictures are very close and under flash. With anything less than very close inspection you can't see the repair at all.
Attached Images

ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I have seen a lot worse repairs, that's not bad. Can you apply the color more than one time?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

I did two coats on this one since the chip was so deep. I am thinking it may need one more.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
I did two coats on this one since the chip was so deep. I am thinking it may need one more.
Look up some other posts and check the responses on other sites, sometimes it takes a couple layers, but eventually if done as directed will produce an unnoticeable repair. Friend of mine has done it on her CTS, and you can't find the spot at all... if she took pics I'll try to post them, but the spots were similar to yours.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Thank you! I will lay on another couple of layers.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Post more pics after a few more layers... she didn't have any
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
I've done several "layers" on my cars for the bigger/deeper marks. I have learned to wait at least 30 min for the paint to setup before the second step.

Use a piece of the white towel included in the kit and be patient as to not remove the fill from the "hole", lots of strokes in every direction to remove the paint not needed. You will end up with an 85% repair almost everytime.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Thank you! I waited an hour and a half between coats with no real downside to the wait. The first coat did come partially out of the hole due to the rag I used having too much nap. After the second coat I use a very very thin lint free cloth and that seemed to work perfect.