Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
SN69SH

Drives: 2015 ZL1 [Tallulah2]
Post Closed. Thanks...2015 ZL1 Locked Up When in Gear Parked on Incline

Hi- Sorry if this is a duplicate or redundant thread. I did a search and was unable to locate anything similar. If someone reads this and it sounds familiar can you please link the other threads or maybe send me key words and I can do the research. Or of course any reply would be great.

I just had a ZL1 built in April. I have 400 miles on it. The issue happened yesterday morning. I will mention I pretty much only drive maybe twice a week if that. I do however, park on an incline of about 10%. I do not use e-brake. Yesterday when I started the car and put it into reverse it went no where. Just sat there. Usually it will begin the roll with release of the brake. It was like it would not kick into gear. I shifted to neutral to see if it would roll down the hill as it normally does and nothing. It was like the e-brake or the brakes were locked up. I tapped the gas and still nothing. it was not until I almost floored it did it free up. Which leads me to believe it is not the transmission. I have heard it catch before but never to the extent of not moving. Just a hard click from the front. (although I have been fooled before as to where the noise is coming from)

Has anyone encountered this? If yes what is it? Should I use the e-brake when I park? Is it just the newness? (lol sorry not exactly technical).

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by SN69SH; 05-30-2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Resolved
SN69SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
If the car was wet when parked or it had been rained on, the brakes probably had seized due to rust build up around the brake pads. I had this happen once when I parked my car for a few days in my garage after washing it and not blow drying the wheels.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
SN69SH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post
If the car was wet when parked or it had been rained on, the brakes probably had seized due to rust build up around the brake pads. I had this happen once when I parked my car for a few days in my garage after washing it and not blow drying the wheels.
Thanks. Yes I live in Texas so it has been raining for like months now. It just seems odd for any buildup so quickly. I guess it means it is not preventable. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post
yea this has happened to me a few times after washing car and putting directly into garage. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Use your E-brake all the time!!
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN69SH View Post
Thanks. Yes I live in Texas so it has been raining for like months now. It just seems odd for any buildup so quickly. I guess it means it is not preventable. Thanks again.
I've seen my rotors corrode in the time it takes me to wash my car. It's quick.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
i'm guessing it's automatic right? the manuals will automatically step on the brakes for a few seconds which is what i thought it was. which is the worst feature ever
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
SN69SH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
i'm guessing it's automatic right? the manuals will automatically step on the brakes for a few seconds which is what i thought it was. which is the worst feature ever
It is automatic yes. Which is why I don't really use the e-brake and allow the incline roll to engage before hitting the gas. If it as just a tap of the gas it would be ok but it was not. I pretty much floored it. And while I am a great driver I do live in a residential area and speed in reverse is not really a friend. I will keep an eye on it. I see the rain is going to stop in about 12 days. It is in the shop now for the Onstar replacement so we shall see when I get it back in a week or so.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
It is automatic yes. Which is why I don't really use the e-brake and allow the incline roll to engage before hitting the gas.
Not recommended to load any trans on an incline without parking brake.

Engaging the parking brake on any sort of incline while car is in drive then placing in park keeps excess strain off the trans.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
It is automatic yes. Which is why I don't really use the e-brake and allow the incline roll to engage before hitting the gas.
Not recommended to load a trans on an incline without parking brake.

Engaging the parking brake on any sort of incline while car is in drive then placing in park keeps excess strain off the trans.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
You should be using the parking brake if you're parking on hills. The parking paw in automatics can and have failed on other cars which will just allow it to roll away. It's not really designed to hold the weight of the car on steep hills.

It does sound like maybe some rust just got the brakes stuck to the rotors in this case though. I would still use the parking brake though if your parking on inclines to keep the strain off the parking paw.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zl1 front wheel/brake locking