Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I think I've lost my head

So I'm sure some of you if not most have heard about Fords plan to include it's "ECO BOOST" twin turbo V6 in the new Mustang, and for some reason it sounds like a great idea to me??? 350hp and lb ft. from a twin turbo V6 in a modern-day American rear-wheel-driven performance car!?!? Wow!!! Flip the script and include that same description for such a proposed engine configuration in the 5thgen and all the sudden I'm disgusted.....???? Beats me.

Quote:
The idea of an EcoBoost V6 powering the next-generation Mustang has been kicked around the Autoblog offices ever since Ford announced the new twin-turbocharged, direct-inject V6 earlier this year. According to MotorTrend, FoMoCo is now seriously considering offering the new mill along with its standard 4.0-liter V6 and a set of new V8s. The Blue Oval is contemplating equipping the new 'Stang with an all new 5.0-liter V8 that would find its way under the hood of a limited edition Boss 302 or the 315-hp, 4.6-liter V8 found in the Bullitt. Either way, buyers can keep things traditional or go for the turbo V6 while still retaining the output characteristics of a big V8. The move comes as new CAFE regs are beginning to be taken seriously by all automakers, including GM, which recently canceled its DOHC V8 engine program.

Shelby versions of the Mustang will likely continue through the end of the year and maybe beyond, with a GT500 version being available soon after the redesign goes on sale late in 2009. It's still rumored that the new sheet metal adorning the 2010 Mustang will take some cues from the Giugiaro concept, including a set of wider haunches that are more reminiscent of the fastback's shoulders, along with a new rear bumper design, new front fascia and plenty of wheel and color choices. Inside, the instrument panel will get a facelift to allow more room for navigation and audio controls, while improvements will be made to create a more "driver-centric" environment.

Despite all the talk about a more fuel-efficient V6, Ford is reportedly also developing a supercharged version of its 5.0-liter V8 to be stuffed into a new flagship model that would compete with the Chevy Corvette ZR1 and Dodge Viper SRT10.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/25/f...-building-zr1/
Old 01-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Despite all the talk about a more fuel-efficient V6, Ford is reportedly also developing a supercharged version of its 5.0-liter V8 to be stuffed into a new flagship model that would compete with the Chevy Corvette ZR1 and Dodge Viper SRT10.

It would take an awful lot more than a supercharged 5L to compete with the ZR1. The GT500 gets beat in reviews by the base corvette, and even the Ford GT had a hard time against the Z06 -while costing more than twice as much. To use brute force means that this ultra stang would need 700 - 750 hp. Something tells me thats about as likely as a putting a V8 into a Cobalt. And so unless this super mustang could loose an awful lot of weight, and improve its handling by lightyears, there is no chance that it could ever compete with the ZR1 unless the only thing you look at is horsepower.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
chevys

Drives: 03 Mach 1
No, your not crazy. We had all better get used to the idea sooner or later. Like it not smaller engines are coming and probably with less cylinders. There has been a ton of speculation on the f body engine and over the last few weeks I have come to the conclusion (just a guess) that 6.0+ liter engines are not going to happen. The 5.3 is seeming more and more like a logical choice to me.

The mustang at most will have a 5.0 so why does GM need to dump in a 6.0 liter engine? Cost is going to be a huge issue in order to sell these cars and thats the bottom line at GM or anywhere else for that matter. I predict right now the challenger will not last. Too expensive and with the fuel economy numbers released its not going to appeal to the masses. 14/18 mpg is not going to cut it.

Lets face it, if the mustang and camaro both had 3 liter engines we would still be meeting at the drag strip and auto cross events for bragging rights. Here is an article everyone should read. Times are changing guys.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/...-gms-v-8s.html

God help us all if the ricer gang can beat up on us. I draw the line there.
chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
That link has a thread deticated to it.

As far as muscle cars and V8's go, well the two just go together. I would never buy a Camaro without a V8. Would I buy a V8 Camaro Hybrid with AFM? Yes because the power is still there when you want it, and the economy is there the rest of the time. On the Silverado and Yukon it gives them mileage equivelent to that of a V6 Camry. Its not the size of the engine that dictates fuel economy. There are numerous instances where a bigger engine provides more power and better fuel economy. How? a bigger engine doesn't have to work as hard, can run at a lower RPM, and can have a different gear set which all help with economy. Massive motors arent the solution to fuel economy, but they don't hurt as much as some people believe
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #5
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That link has a thread deticated to it.

As far as muscle cars and V8's go, well the two just go together. I would never buy a Camaro without a V8.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

It would take an awful lot more than a supercharged 5L to compete with the ZR1. The GT500 gets beat in reviews by the base corvette, and even the Ford GT had a hard time against the Z06 -while costing more than twice as much. To use brute force means that this ultra stang would need 700 - 750 hp. Something tells me thats about as likely as a putting a V8 into a Cobalt. And so unless this super mustang could loose an awful lot of weight, and improve its handling by lightyears, there is no chance that it could ever compete with the ZR1 unless the only thing you look at is horsepower.
yeah the gt500 couldnt even compete with the base model c6 with the z51 package.
as far as a twin turbo motor in the camaro.... i'll only take it if its a v8. im not buying an american muscle car in a v6 version. sorry.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #7
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
So I'm sure some of you if not most have heard about Fords plan to include it's "ECO BOOST" twin turbo V6 in the new Mustang, and for some reason it sounds like a great idea to me??? 350hp and lb ft. from a twin turbo V6 in a modern-day American rear-wheel-driven performance car!?!? Wow!!! Flip the script and include that same description for such a proposed engine configuration in the 5thgen and all the sudden I'm disgusted.....???? Beats me.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/25/f...-building-zr1/
I don’t know why you would… The General’s would be an awesome combo for sure. Anyone who has owned and/or gone up against a Cyclone, Typhoon, Grand National, and yes even the Mighty 1989 Trans Am TTA will tell you different. Their fast and command respect…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
+1

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
I don’t know why you would… The General’s would be an awesome combo for sure. Anyone who has owned and/or gone up against a Cyclone, Typhoon, Grand National, and yes even the Mighty 1989 Trans Am TTA will tell you different. Their fast and command respect…
After some thinking I have to say I'd definitely be OK with it now. Turbocharging has a LOT of potential for the future, more so than anything else in tandem with ethanol. And I'll always think of the N53 Bi-Turbo in the 335i coupe, man that thing is a sledge hammer; if you haven't taken a test drive in one of those things you MUST.