Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Interesting. Does RB say how much these calipers will weigh?
I held the last gen ctsv front oem caliper (which is our camaro front) and a forged set of their own they said would fit our rotor but mounting is off and it was significant....i should have weighed it since they have a scale.

its forged and has lost a lot of that extra crap that is on our calipers for no reason...like the big bulges and lines and what not from the sand casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I was just down there two days ago picking up stainless steel brake lines for my ZL1. I would have mentioned it to Warren, oops,too late.
call him!! email them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

In our efforts to stay ahead of the Camaro TEAM (which isn't easy ) I have been speaking with Brembo for about 18 months about killer brakes for the 5th Gen. The calipers need to be a step below a full racing brake so they can be used on the street. (Full racing brake calipers are high maintenance.) The GT-R Caliper is spot on. It has no exterior dust seals to over heat and disintegrate. Is machine from a block of billet aluminum. SS Inserts to insulate the piston from the heat of the backing plate.

If you have driven a ZL1 you will understand what I am about to say. My lasting impression of a ZL1 is the brakes are beyond ridiculous. You feel like you can stop on a dime from ANY speed.

How far along are the RB Calipers?
the gtr caliper racingbrake makes is a improvement over oem gtr...i actually ran into a full race gtr running racing brakes whole setup

brembo is ridiculously expensive...not forged...heavy...and Italian. Perhaps you can try a set of racingbrake everything and give feedback since you have such a cult following. everything you described about the brembo or was it the gtr caliper they have at racing brake. their calipers are easier to change pads then our oem brakes if you can imagine that.

racingbrake is all about losing weight managing heat and stopping better

and yes I have driven both a current gen ctsv and a zl1....they can brake well but they aren't the end all be all that is represented on this forum. also those conversion kits aren't exactly cheap and you cant run 18 inch wheels with them aka more weight loss with less wheel weight

Mr. Pete I know you have friends and trusted partners in the industry like forgeline and what not but I promise you wont be disappointed if you made nice with racingbrake. Visit them at the next sema or something.

RacingBrake said they would get on a camaro/old ctsv forged caliper with all the goodies and direct bolt on capability if I drummed up enough interest i asked for a number and he said 10 might be sellable to the boss....he wasn't there today for the first time i have been there

I can talk all day about racingbrake but eventually it will sound like I work there.

so call, email, and let them know that Blake with silver camaro isn't the only one that wants mooooooooorrrreeeeeeeeee!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The next time you speak with them pass on my name. Who would you suggest I speak with.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
The next time you speak with them pass on my name. Who would you suggest I speak with.

Warren is the owner. In my brief history with them he's been the one I have spoken with when I have a question. Just to add he also gave me the tour when I picked up my front and rear rotors from them.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Roval is a great track! You were hitting 165 in the straight…thats great! You must be supercharged. Great job!

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
SPCBA

Quote:
The owners name is Warren Linn(i think sorry bad with names)...I have his business card but couldnt find it in the stack. I will be back there next week to pick up some upgraded pistons for my stock calipers and beg them to make a forged one for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
Roval is a great track! You were hitting 165 in the straight…thats great! You must be supercharged. Great job!
nope na all the way. If i didnt hit the last 2 turns perfectly I would be 150ish.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post

I was able to tap 170 mph on my Ducati 999S when I did a track day there. I want to get my ZL1 out there and run it! The lead instructor was teaching us to stay up near the wall to get thru the chicane cleanly, what an adrenaline rush!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
The owners name is Warren Linn(i think sorry bad with names)...I have his business card but couldnt find it in the stack. I will be back there next week to pick up some upgraded pistons for my stock calipers and beg them to make a forged one for us.

nope na all the way. If i didnt hit the last 2 turns perfectly I would be 150ish.

Keep asking him and you may eventually succeed.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
SPCBA

Quote:
I was able to tap 170 mph on my Ducati 999S when I did a track day there. I want to get my ZL1 out there and run it! The lead instructor was teaching us to stay up near the wall to get thru the chicane cleanly, what an adrenaline rush!
ya its best to track up after turn 2 and hug that big blue wall for 3-4

Quote:
Keep asking him and you may eventually succeed.
thats the plan...hope i can get others on board and prove to him there is a market he can make money on ( i know dirty words in hollywierd )
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Synner

Drives: cars
Only thing I don't like about the 1 piece aluminum calipers with integratedf stiffening bridge is the pad changes. I take one bolt out of my CTSV calipers and the pad change takes all of 2 minutes and no TTY bolts involved. Thats great for a multipurpose vehicle.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Only thing I don't like about the 1 piece aluminum calipers with integratedf stiffening bridge is the pad changes. I take one bolt out of my CTSV calipers and the pad change takes all of 2 minutes and no TTY bolts involved. Thats great for a multipurpose vehicle.
the forged racingbrake calipers are 2 bolts and pad swap. i looked at them and said man i could do that at the track with my wheel on and he looked at me and said exactly
Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Lol it's great to see this enthusiasm for RacingBrake's products and for Warren and the RB team. I've been an advocate for years; I was the one who got the first group-buy together to get them to make the 2-piece rotors front and rear for our 5th gen Camaros. I can easily believe they'd make a great caliper. I have their 500 pads front and rear and have nothing but praise for their performance.

Pete... I tried to get you to try their rotors years ago but you were convinced by "the big boys" that you had to have solid rotors. Now you're getting solid (no pun intended) info from somebody who can drive at the levels you do, that these rotors are the real deal.

Count me in for one of the 10 needed for the group-buy on the calipers.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #26
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post

Put together a group-buy thread here on the forum like I did originally to get them to make the 2-piece rotors. Send the link to Warren so he can track the results. I'm quite sure we can get at least the 10 he requires. He knows based on the response they got from the original group buy that the people on Camaro5 are good customers.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Put together a group-buy thread here on the forum like I did originally to get them to make the 2-piece rotors. Send the link to Warren so he can track the results. I'm quite sure we can get at least the 10 he requires. He knows based on the response they got from the original group buy that the people on Camaro5 are good customers.
Heck - I'll put the list together. Just need the info on what exactly RB would offer; weight; # of pistons; etc.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #28
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I would be interested as well but price is going to be they key factor. Possibly a discount for calipers and rotors?