Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
sjaikman
Aikman Performance Tuning

Drives: 2017 ZL1 CAMARO
I have told you 100 thousand million trillion times if you touch it yourself with ANY product that modifies the original configuration of the car you WILL VOID THE WARRANTY when it comes to an engine, transmission, drivetrain, suspension of the car...... HOW CAN I MAKE THIS ANY MORE CLEARER!!!!!! GM PERFORMANCE AND HEAVY LINE TECHNICIAN..... I TOLD YOU BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT..... I'M TELLING YOU NOW.... AND GM JUST TOLD YOU THEMSELVES..... ONCE YOU CHANGE THE CONFIGURATION AND THE POWERTRAIN STRESS LEVELS AND POINTS I.E. EVEN THE GEOMETRY OF THE SUSPENSION YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID........ GM WILL STAND BEHIND THIS CAR AND ANY OTHER UNTILL YOU MODIFY IT!!!!!!
sjaikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaikman View Post
I have told you 100 thousand million trillion times if you touch it yourself with ANY product that modifies the original configuration of the car you WILL VOID THE WARRANTY when it comes to an engine, transmission, drivetrain, suspension of the car...... HOW CAN I MAKE THIS ANY MORE CLEARER!!!!!! GM PERFORMANCE AND HEAVY LINE TECHNICIAN..... I TOLD YOU BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT..... I'M TELLING YOU NOW.... AND GM JUST TOLD YOU THEMSELVES..... ONCE YOU CHANGE THE CONFIGURATION AND THE POWERTRAIN STRESS LEVELS AND POINTS I.E. EVEN THE GEOMETRY OF THE SUSPENSION YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID........ GM WILL STAND BEHIND THIS CAR AND ANY OTHER UNTILL YOU MODIFY IT!!!!!!
I fail to see why you are angry, I think the question should continue to be asked until they make the search bar the whole upper row on this site. Maybe give it it's own sticky at the top....lol. No soup for op,,,,one whole year
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
sjaikman
Aikman Performance Tuning

Drives: 2017 ZL1 CAMARO
i have told him many times he has been to my dealership and our car events he has asked me and i have relayed the gm reps responses he just doesn't want to listen sorry about all the caps guess i can just tell him till i'm blue in the face sorry to ALL of the vets here.....
sjaikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #18
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
Ya I don't get it, u play the shit with ur car screwing ur engine and transmission then u come crying to GM asking them for warranty?

Light mods like exhaust and intake keeping all sensors in stock readings would never void warranty.

Think it's all about what's reasonable here and what's not..
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #19
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
You are going to get replies all over the map on this as in many threads in the past.

In very, very general terms...
GM will tell you ANY mod will void the entire warranty.
Some have pointed out that there are federal laws that prohibit the dealer from refusing warranty on some part that wasn't modded. For example if you mad the exhaust, but you have a problem with the radio.
As others have mentioned, check with your local dealer. Some dealers are more 'mod friendly' than others

There is no easy answer.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
flyjbaker

Drives: none yet
You have to be "sensible" when you mod your car. If you put an air filter on your car and then a half shaft breaks, I am willing to bet 100% of the dealers are going to fix it. But if you put nitrous on your car and burn a hole in a piston...then likely 100% of the dealers will likely not fix it. Those are the extremes.

With that said, if you are going to do significant mods and have someone else do them, most tuners don't want your car to grenade either so they usually tune the car conservatively and they likely know all of the limits and breaking points of the car.....they will likely not go beyond those points. And when you start pushing the envelope, well you have to pay to play. The bottom line is are your mods the reason for the malfunction??? You should be smart enough to answer that question. And can you go to your dealer with a straight face and ask them to fix your car because you don't think the issue was caused by your modifications? Again, you should be smart enough to answer that question. If you are running 700rwhp through the stock automatic transmission you cannot expect the transmission to last very long and you should not expect GM to fix it. You SHOULD expect to upgrade it at your own expense to properly handle the power.

I get to know the service manager of any dealership that i buy a car from. You can feel him out. Most know with a car like this that people will likely do at least minor modifications. I have a buddy that had a ZO6 with heads and cam and all the other stuff that goes along with that. His car had 20k miles on it and the clutch kept sticking to the floor(a known issue at the time). His dealership installed a new clutch under warranty. Take that FWIW but obviously they could have easily denied him coverage but they didn't because stock new cars were having this same issue. Dealerships are usually sensible too. The money doesn't come out of their pocket...in fact they make money on your warranty claim. But again, they have to be able to sensibly defend their actions ref the warranty work.

Sensible and reasonable. That is what you have to ask yourself and then accept responsibility if you cross the line!
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #21
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
In a nutshell, the answer is and always will be ....ready?,,,,NOTHING

There is nothing you can performance mod without voiding warranty.

Nothing.

Period.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello all,

I have researched my available resources.

Some aftermarket engine performance products and modifications promise a way to increase the horsepower and torque levels of a vehicle's powertrain. The products may have detrimental effects on the performance and life of the engine, exhaust, emission system, transmission, and drivetrain.

Engine power enhancement products may enable the engine to operate at horsepower and torque levels that could damage, create failure, or reduce the life of the engine, engine emission system, transmission and drivetrain.

Damage, failure, or reduced life of the engine, transmission emission system, drivetrain or other vehicle components caused by aftermarket engine performance enhancement products or modifications cannot be covered under the vehicle warranty or GMPP plan.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks, that is very fair. GM made it to stand up to the HP they tested and sold it with. So if you increase HP I would think the tuner should be on the hook for the life of the drive train.
I.e. if you pump 1000 HP how long do you think the drive train would hold up? I am amazed that GM even OK the car for the track
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
JFWJR179

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
In a nutshell, the answer is and always will be ....ready?,,,,NOTHING

There is nothing you can performance mod without voiding warranty.

Nothing.

Period.
Amen
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Jannety Racing has tested a 10% OD crank pulley with NO tune and got and extra 50hp/50tq. So you could put on this pulley, and then put back the OEM pulley if warranty work is needed and the dealership will never have known as no tune is required.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257750
Old 10-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
JFWJR179

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Jannety Racing has tested a 10% OD crank pulley with NO tune and got and extra 50hp/50tq. So you could put on this pulley, and then put back the OEM pulley if warranty work is needed and the dealership will never have known as no tune is required.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257750
You are still playing Russian roulette with GM/service technical test
equipment used by the dealer.

The crank rpm to supercharger rpm ratio may be recorded by the engine management computer and they would still be able to tell that you must have changed the crank pulley from the factory/stock pulley even though
no modification was done to the tune up module etc.

They can also measure the front tire rubber wear as compared to the
rear tires and logically conclude that you must have been burning rubber
which may be associated with abuse of the vehicle.

Your rolling the dice/gambling with you GM warranty !

I'm just saying...
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
If you have a problem under warranty and the car is modded your going to have a problem most likely. Why void the warranty for such a small HP increase maybe a 3% increase.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #27
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
In my opinion, GM has been pretty generous in its warranty claims over the years. My GTO had a bunch of mods to it and they never denied me a claim. They had rebuilt the transmission twice, engine once and replaced the differential ($6k) with 99,990 (i kid you not) miles on the car. They could have easily said the cai and ripshift caused undue stress, or that the hard cornering on the lowered/stiffer suspension prevented oil to lubricate the engine as designed...or at the very least drove it around the block until it hit 100k miles on it....but they even had customer service call and apologize for the inconvenience.
Some cars manufactures don't even warranty normal use (*cough* Nissan GTR *cough*)

But IMHO, if you start modifying the power train, count yourself lucky if they fix any part of it if it breaks, they warranty it as designed, not as you designed it to be. I bought the ZL1 specifically so I don't ever have to mod the car and can still rip up the road.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #28
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
^^ the other part of that is having a dealer you trust and who knows you and the relationship is good.

going to a dealer you don't know and who don't know you means they won't give you that slack.

the warranty coverage starts at the dealer, if their warranty rep doesn't think they will get reimbursed for the work, they won't even try to submit, they will simply tell you no go.