Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
NTTA

Anyone have the old style tags they have laying around they want to sell or give away? NTTA won't give any out and I don't want that sticker.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
FredSS

Drives: 2013 Red Tint Metalic 2SS/RS
you don't really need a tag - they have your license plate on file and will just bill you based on your plate # and the picture they take a the toll gates. I have one but I've left it out for a while now and I still get billed for my trips etc based on the plate. (back plate only).
FredSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSS View Post
you don't really need a tag - they have your license plate on file and will just bill you based on your plate # and the picture they take a the toll gates. I have one but I've left it out for a while now and I still get billed for my trips etc based on the plate. (back plate only).

Be careful with that. I got a 2k bill of back charges for the past few years because of a system glitch. Turned out that their system had issues telling the difference between 0s and Os, 2s and Z, and few other items. I had my plate registered and got billed but I never got down to the detail to see if it was accurate and consistent. One day after a system update, they generated a invoice of everything that wasn't billed.

Hence why now I want to put a tag instead of depend on them to figure it out. Lol

Another guy got an 11k bill. Of course it had a lot of other fees.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Don't you pay a higher toll fee if you don't use a tag? As much as I hate the sticker, I bit the bullet just to be done with it.

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Yes you pay the Zipcash rate if you don't have a TollTag account. But it's not based on the sticker being on your windshield. Once they read your plate its in the system and will bill you based on the toll tag rate and not the Zipcash.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post
Don't you pay a higher toll fee if you don't use a tag? As much as I hate the sticker, I bit the bullet just to be done with it.
Yes, I refuse to stick that sticker on my windshield. I have had a toll tag account for 8 years now and never had an issue letting them read my plates but when I had my custom plates, their system couldnt differentiate between certain numbers/letters so I didnt get billed I guess. I never paid attention to that detail since I was being billed but it was inconsistant. December 16th 2013 they did a system upgrade and December 17th an invoice was generated for a few grand and it was all Zip Cash because their system wasnt linking to my account. Lucky for me, since I had a legitimate account and plate registered, it cut it by over 50% but still had to pay close to 2k in back billing. Ladies at NTTA were baffled that I had billing all the way back to late 2011 and none of it was past due..
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
TexasFright

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS, 2012 BMW 128i
I had the sticker, I just put mine above the inspection/registration stickers. System picked it up fine. I then took it off for awhile and noticed they still bill it like normal so I took it off my Acura too.
TexasFright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
Yes you pay the Zipcash rate if you don't have a TollTag account. But it's not based on the sticker being on your windshield. Once they read your plate its in the system and will bill you based on the toll tag rate and not the Zipcash.
I did NOT know that. My damn sticker is on crooked so it sounds like I can take it off and leave it off. However, I don't have a front plate. Will the camera see the back one?

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
TexasFright

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS, 2012 BMW 128i
I think it just scans the back, when I use to have Zipcash all the bills they sent me had a picture of my rear plate only
TexasFright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
FredSS

Drives: 2013 Red Tint Metalic 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Be careful with that. I got a 2k bill of back charges for the past few years because of a system glitch. Turned out that their system had issues telling the difference between 0s and Os, 2s and Z, and few other items. I had my plate registered and got billed but I never got down to the detail to see if it was accurate and consistent. One day after a system update, they generated a invoice of everything that wasn't billed.

Hence why now I want to put a tag instead of depend on them to figure it out. Lol

Another guy got an 11k bill. Of course it had a lot of other fees.
Good to know - I've never got popped with that big bill and have just plain ole plates just on the back w/o zeros or 2s
FredSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
I think NTTA will be going to plate readers at all toll booths soon. it's only older gates that have tag readers
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Just put the sticker on a piece of plexiglass. Put Velcro on the front of the Plexiglass and you have the equivalent of the old style toll tag.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
I think NTTA will be going to plate readers at all toll booths soon. it's only older gates that have tag readers

That would be nice. I could be wrong but I remember reading something similar already implemented for motorcycles. Mounts to plate.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteven View Post
Just put the sticker on a piece of plexiglass. Put Velcro on the front of the Plexiglass and you have the equivalent of the old style toll tag.

Smart idea. I'll have to give that a shot.