Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
hmm interesting idea for z28

What if it was a package that had a twin turbo v6 with a better handling and braking package? light and fast possibly with better power/milage than the v8. Do you think the Camaro faithful would accept that. Maybe it would be a step toward the inevitable future of performance cars? I love my v8 but perhaps this would be a way of testing the waters? I know we all assume the pending z28 will have the LSA and is pretty much a finished design I'm just thinking down the road. Any thoughts?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
just a thought z28

What if it was a package that had a twin turbo v6 with a better handling and braking package? light and fast possibly with better power/milage than the v8. Do you think the Camaro faithful would accept that. Maybe it would be a step toward the inevitable future of performance cars? I love my v8 but perhaps this would be a way of testing the waters? I know we all assume the pending z28 will have the LSA and is pretty much a finished design I'm just thinking down the road. Any thoughts?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
cremaley
10 SS

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS Imperial Blue
Does anyone know what has happened to the tracking of orders by the Viz? It looks like the last posting were in July.
cremaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I think you would have a hard time getting a TT V6 to make more HP than the LS3. And a twin turbo would cost more. But you might expect a bit more Fuel Economy.

Yes, aftermarket tuners will claim higher numbers, but aftermarket tuners would claim even higher for the LS3, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

The Ford Single Turbo V6 in the SHO is only 355 HP if I'm not mistaken.

Also the added weight of two turbos and an intercooler (go to have one of those) would likely weigh the same as an LS3 or pretty close.

So your potential is for Fuel Economy, but not a real HP challenge to the LS3. And don't forget the LS3/L99 are only 5 mpg lower than the LLT. So if you twin tubo that the LLT goes South from 29 EPA.

Not that it's a bad idea, you would just end up with something between the LT and SS and for some on the Z28 threads, that is exactly what they want. They think the SS should be king. And if anything went above the SS it should be the ZL1.

I'm sure you would have some takers for a package as you suggest.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Hmmmm...

To each their own but Im not diggin the Idea of a V-6 in the Z/28....

A Z/28 should growl not go Pssssshhhh every time you shift..
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Hmmmm...

To each their own but Im not diggin the Idea of a V-6 in the Z/28....

A Z/28 should growl not go Pssssshhhh every time you shift..
Brother, I'm with you on this one!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremaley View Post
Does anyone know what has happened to the tracking of orders by the Viz? It looks like the last posting were in July.
what does this even have to do with thread??\

c'mon man :(
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremaley View Post
lol wut?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
ncstatered21

Drives: 2004 Chevy S10 Crew Cab
I really don't think the majority of the community would accept it. Most of this community is about muscle cars with big power. A twin turbo V6 would have some power, but it just wouldn't be the same or have the same feeling as a V8.

Future Camaro: 2SS, Red Jewel Tint, White Rally Stripe
ncstatered21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Besides power, the added weight of a turbo/intercooler will partially offset the advantage of using a V6, and most of it will be up front. I think the LLT is only around 100 lbs lighter than the LS3. So a Z28 with a turbo 6 would likely weigh about 3800 lbs, with 53/47 weight distribution and makes lets say 400 hp. It could make more than that, but that would require a ground up design for a deticted high performance turbo engine with bullet proof internals and probably a strengthened block, which would be very costly.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I vote for an all aluminum chassis and body maybe some fiberglass panels here and there with the LS3 and hot cam and better handling/performing suspension. That should reduce the weight a little. I think it would be a happy medium between a track pack camaro and a top dog camaro for the Z28..might affect the price a little
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I vote for an all aluminum chassis and body maybe some fiberglass panels here and there with the LS3 and hot cam and better handling/performing suspension. That should reduce the weight a little. I think it would be a happy medium between a track pack camaro and a top dog camaro for the Z28..might affect the price a little
But are you willing to pay for that? Z06 money for sure.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Mikes SS

That much huh? Probably not I guess that I will have to start recycling more to get the price down a little LOL I would definitely spend 50-55K for a car that in 20-30 years still be mechanically sound and not have to worry about rust degrading the integrity of the car.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Mikes SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
But are you willing to pay for that? Z06 money for sure.
On second thought yes sure when can I put my deposit down for one of those? Think of many of those who have already spent thousands of dollars putting maggies or turbos on their cars just to get that seat of the pants feel..I say that same feeling or better would be in a 2800-3000lb camaro with less horsepower than supercharged, better gas mileage and better handling? So I ask again, where do I put my deposit down?