Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #85
iFly
Account Suspended

Drives: Higher
^ lol under your username
iFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #86
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFly View Post
Really a grammar slam!?!?.... WeEk dood...
Actually just trying to lighten the mood dood.

Some people think driving manual transmitions is such serious business. It becomes second nature.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #87
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFly View Post
^ lol under your username
just to clarify i put that there from when i joined the forum
i dont want ppl to think im a a##hole.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #88
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
YES
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #89
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth6 View Post
Ever wonder as to why 302 Boss and Shelby GT500 Mustangs only came with a stick....
I traded a '10 SS for my current SS M6.... A manual lends a special connection to the car, and for me, that’s highly appealing. The car is a Blast to drive! Oh... one more thing, I do not miss the L99 at all...

To OP, test drive both.... You will then see what is more suitable for your ultimate driving pleasure.
Nope. Never crossed my mind, but as we all know... If you want consistent times at the track, an auto is the way to go...

Also owning an automatic, you no longer have to worry about clutch issues... Example: clutch sticking to floor, glazed flywheel, dirty fluid, adding a seperate reservoir, 1st- 2nd gear grind, hill assist, clutch and flywheel replacement.. Etc. there's more reasons why not to buy a stick then there are to buy a stick.

Bottom line is, the choice is yours...
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #90
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
Nope. Never crossed my mind, but as we all know... If you want consistent times at the track, an auto is the way to go...

Also owning an automatic, you no longer have to worry about clutch issues... Example: clutch sticking to floor, glazed flywheel, dirty fluid, adding a seperate reservoir, 1st- 2nd gear grind, hill assist, clutch and flywheel replacement.. Etc. there's more reasons why not to buy a stick then there are to buy a stick.

Bottom line is, the choice is yours...
The choice is his in the long run but the issues that you talk about are true but only if you drive like an idiot. there are plenty of manual cars with over 100k miles with no trans issues. even in a automatic you can break something on the track (including the trans depending on the cars setup and track conditions) inevitably manual or automatic, both are subject to wear and tear.
One of the reasons for me buying a manual is because its a challenge, not to daily drive it but when racing. in a automatic some like the security of a perfect run every time but i like banging through the gears myself and i get a rush because if i know that if i miss a gear i could be eating dust or mess up my trap time. so if you want to be flawless be my guest and get a auto but bottom line its more fun driving a manual.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #91
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
just to clarify i put that there from when i joined the forum
i dont want ppl to think im a a##hole.
Too late!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #92
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
One of the reasons for me buying a manual is because its a challenge, not to daily drive it but when racing. in a automatic some like the security of a perfect run every time but i like banging through the gears myself and i get a rush because if i know that if i miss a gear i could be eating dust or mess up my trap time. so if you want to be flawless be my guest and get a auto but bottom line its more fun driving a manual.
In other words, it takes more driving skill to race a manual, which I agree with 100%. Lesser skilled automatic drivers can hide behind their transmissions, lesser skilled manual drivers are exposed, and can't hide behind anything.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #93
Ohio Snake

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, 2012 Shelby GT500
EPCO has shifter knobs for Chevy, Ford and Dodge. They are the supplier for many manufacturers. You can customize the knob any way you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ohio Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #94
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I also traded in a 2010 L99 for a 2013 LS3. Best Camaro MOD I have done yet. Next best was putting a 3.91 1LE rear end in her.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #95
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I just have 1 question for the OP. Are you going to mod it or not? If your going to mod it with a aftermarket tune as well as other performance parts then I would seriously consider the auto. If your worried about warranty and not voiding it then you should get the manual for sure. The manual will be more fun to drive but modded the auto will be faster.

For those bashing auto owners. Bring that sh!t talking to the track and watch your ego shrink with my taillights. I bought this car with every intention to mod it pretty extensively. Some of us like me can drive a manual just as well as the next person but we chose to be fast and not care about what you haters think. Mod for mod when you add a higher stall converter, the auto will always be faster in the 1/4 no matter who's driving the stick car.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #96
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I just have 1 question for the OP. Are you going to mod it or not? If your going to mod it with a aftermarket tune as well as other performance parts then I would seriously consider the auto. If your worried about warranty and not voiding it then you should get the manual for sure. The manual will be more fun to drive but modded the auto will be faster.

For those bashing auto owners. Bring that sh!t talking to the track and watch your ego shrink with my taillights. I bought this car with every intention to mod it pretty extensively. Some of us like me can drive a manual just as well as the next person but we chose to be fast and not care about what you haters think. Mod for mod when you add a higher stall converter, the auto will always be faster in the 1/4 no matter who's driving the stick car.
What!? If you are going to mod and tune why not stick? I would buy the automatic for a daily. Im not going to be a ass and say stick or suck it, the autos get the job done for sure but to me stepping on the gas and and watching my gauge cluster is straight boring.
I have a V6 and its a manual and as slow as my boat may be I wouldn't buy a automatic. Once again tho this is just my opinion.....
On a side note, I raced a V6 auto from the light and pulled on him but my point is any car can beat another car its just your personal preference when it comes to driving. The only downside to the manual in the camaros is that when you have a drink in the cup holder its a pita to shift lol
Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #97
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Of course mods are going to help both the M6 and A6 but they help the auto in a big way. The auto is just plain slow and boring stock IMO, but the manual is fun modded or not. Thats why I asked the question. All of this is for the V8 cars of course. I have no idea how the V6 cars react stock vs modded.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #98
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I have no idea how the V6 cars react stock vs modded.
My V-6 M6 1LS was fun stock. I added a CAI brand intake with a scoop as well as a ported throttle body (I was on the initial waiting list), and it was more fun. I now have the IPF S/C and it's a lot more fun. Pretty much everything else is stock - clutch, driveline, suspension...LS tires...DIC said 29.5 mpg last night after getting home from L.A. to Phoenix. And it's fun driving through canyons out in the remote highways of AZ. I'll upgrade more things as time goes by, but for now it's good enough. And you'd probably never know by looking at it that it puts around 400 hp to the ground. Total investment <30K. Total miles on car about 20.5K after 13 mos. of ownership.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote