Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Hello - Had no idea...

Had a bad itch to get rid of my '04 BMW 330 Ci Convertible and looked at a bunch of options, but kept coming back to this 2011 2LT RS Drop Top. Looked at every Camaro in a 200 mile radius but this one really grabbed me. The HUD, gauges, backup warning and Stereo were big selling points, oh and the stock 20's.

Anyway, happened upon this fourm many times and it's amazing the information you guys have compiled here! I'm an amateur astronomer and we have a forum at Cloudy Nights for info on telescopes, if you need one stop by. Lot's of info there on that.

So... lots to learn I see....Thanks everybody for all the useful information. Things I have on order based mostly on information here:

Volant PowerCore CAI
Elite Engineering Catch Can
MRT V2 Exhaust Back

I already added the RS fog light harness and plasma led's.

I guess I'll need to do a major engine top clean since it's got 48k on it but that scares the crap out of me right now because of some of the horror stories I've heard

Anything else I should know right off the bat?
Attached Images

Mr. Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

PS: My friend and the owner of my favorite indy shop (Fleet Service in Everett, WA) has a '12 SS. They checked it out top to bottom and couldn't find anything it needed. Reassuring....
Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Congrats, car looks clean.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
mastercarp

Drives: 15' 2LT/RS Vert. Red Hot Born:1/26
Somebody has excellent taste....!!
mastercarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Never say the B word on here. Congrats on the new ride and enjoy the new mods, muscle cruising.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:53 AM   #6
OmarSS

Drives: 2019 CMGM 1LZ Z06, R.I.P 2014 SIM 1
Aww look at how cute the maro looks on the second picture congrats OP and whale cum!
OmarSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

The fog lights were an easy upgrade. Cheap too. The harness was $16 and the bulbs (led with built in projectors) were about $24 for the pair, all on Amazon I think. The LEDs started out with too much blue, but have warmed up after use. I think it turned out pretty good.

I couldn't believe when I found out the Camaro had no effective fog light system. For a modern car this should be better equipped. Even basic cars should have foot well lighting. My first car was a 66 Cadillac lol.

It does have some impressive features though! I was happy it has heated seats, because that's very cool in the winter. And no camera, but I got that beeper if I get too close to something backing up. OMG, every car should have HUD! Are you kidding me... need more of that. My loaded 2012 MkZ didn't even have that, what a hoot.

The car actually talks to me... but I don't think I will continue OnStar afer the three month trial.

The Bluetooth is capable and picked up the phonebook from my Note 5.

I figure it this way; You gotta drive in this god-forsaken transportation system we use to live.... You might as well drive something fun. So far, this thing is a BLAST! lol
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace0751 View Post
Never say the B word on here. Congrats on the new ride and enjoy the new mods, muscle cruising.
Lol, actually had to laugh about "B word" lol, I'm like what?! No... the b word car was fun but sufferers from an issue all German cars do... ELE events. Sometimes the cost of engine/ drivetrain repair is greater than the value of the vehicle. ELE is end of life. (extinction level event)

Hopefully the Camaro can be maintained and repaired for less. I think it can, and way easier to work on than some more *exotic* brands...
Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 AM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
welcome and congrats on the new ride
Old 01-23-2016, 02:31 AM   #10
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Thought about the SS. My friend said the 2012 SS is the best in the line. But man I gotta commute! I can average 23-24? That's the selling point. If I can get that, it totally makes sense!
Old 01-23-2016, 03:37 AM   #11
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

So I'm wondering. With my Bimmer, I bought a little $20 code reader and it was amazinIg. IE Once I got the CE light and looked it up it was just a venting issue, related to "topping it off" and sure enough, I had topped it off a bit to high on the last fill up. Cleared it and went along my way.

Other items I could deal with as needed and it would clear the code on it's own.

I see that Camaro has the same type of reader on EB.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #12
taf21979

Drives: 2013 2ss vert
I traded in a bmw m3 convertible for my camaro. Couldn't be happier, the bmw was ok but was not a v8 muscle car. My wife said it looked more like a girls car.
taf21979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
You can change the HUD brightness,move it up and down and the layout. 1. Tachometer and speed. 2. Speed, outside temp, and driving direction. 3. Just Speed. The controls are to the right of the steering column. Have fun!!
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Congrats on the new ride, and no the 2012 is not the best, everyone may think their year is the best..lol but your in the first year of convertible. They make a nice support bar for behind the driver and rear seat covers etc .. for them. I used to treat my top with Sunbrella I got from the net to make it water repellant.... a must for the NW.... I had a 2ss vert for a year before my current ride. I would not worry much about mechanicals for now, and just do regular maintenance and read the schedule in the owners manual.

A heritage grill and some custom striping or wheels and your customized.... and yes the Camaro comes with a obd2 port. And a ss can average that but it is steady driving 80 and under freeway.... City it drops to half that if aggressive.