Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Why I don't think the interior has mass market appeal

First of all, don't get me wrong. I love this car. I'll most likely own one. The exterior could not possibly be more incredible. It's the car I always hoped GM would build.

I have concerns about the interior though. The car is supposed to have mass market appeal. But in my opinion, they went too far with the interior, trying to make it so different. I think the interior will appeal well to younger buyers. But for 40-something professionals like myself, the interior has some shortcomings. I would have liked to have seen a little more class in the interior. Maybe I'll feel better when I see it in person.

In some respects, I think they did well. I like the guage pods, though I'd like to see a brushed aluminum trim option instead of carbon. Seats look great, particularly with the stitching. Steering wheel is attractive. But below is a few places where I think they went wrong:

1. Door handles.
Why the clunky loop door handles ? They look bulky, clumsy and a little out of place. A nice, small, L-Shaped handle would be much more appealing. Note G8 handles below.

2. Large area of Shiny plastic on the doors.
I like the idea of color options. But if shiny plastic is the only option for every color, I think it comes off a little cheesy looking. Something wrapped in leather/pleather would have much better mass appeal. Maybe the pics from Indy don't represent the final material ?

3. Radio/HVAC center stack.
In my opinion, this is the least attractive part of the interior. I'll admit that the looks have grown on me somewhat since I first saw the spy shots but I still can't say I like it much. The design seems to have been driven by the desire to keep the center stack separate from the console to allow for those retro gauges. But wrapping it under the dash looks odd. The playstation looking HVAC controls look gimmicky and the radio itself doesn't easily lend itself to adding an option for Navigation or any aftermarket replacement.

I'm generally happy when a manufacturer doesn't take everything from a general parts bin. But this is one case where I think they should have. The center stack and radio/navigation/HVAC controls in the G8, Malibu and Corvette are perfectly fine and have mass market appeal. It's what people have come to expect.... a typical double-dinn size head unit that can easily offer Navigation and reverse cameras as options. Why custom make a head unit that is less attractive than a standard double dinn type unit in other GM cars ?

By contrast, look at the interiors of the Malibu and G8. I think they hit the nail on the head with these interiors. Lots of mass market appeal IMO, particularly with the center stack radio/HVAC area:

Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Wow, excellent post! I could not agree more. I too love this interior more than any car I have looked at, however I realize that this will not appeal to as many people as GM would like. Parts come off as a little "cheesy" or may look a little cheap. I know this is not a luxury car and it should not be a CTS coupe clone as far as interior goes since it is a different class of car. But even cars like the V6 Accord look quite professional inside and at the same time they are practical and sporty.

Again I think they did an amazing job on the interior, I just feel (although I know that it is probably not happening before launch) they should make many of these things like the plastic on the doors a cheap option or something. I do not have as much as a problem with the radio/controls but they may come across as unsophisticated and/or bulky to some people. Heck maybe I am just wanting this car to be a great sucess so badly that I am completely overanalyzing the little details, but that is just my $.02.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
lets go one by one

i dont think the door handles are clunky at all i have touched then with my own hands

Secondly the door panels are optional, they come with a interior colored trim piece standard

third they had test groups and the center stack style of the concept rated very high. thats why they kept it.

i have sat in the G8 and seen the camaro interior in person and the camaro is much nicer. the placement of the switches is better, the stereo controls are placed better, but i am a little concerned about the AC controls.

but you have to look at the fact that the car has an ecentric interior, it has a radical exterior that cant be mixed with a bland interior.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
I do agree that the colors can be improved. maybe by brushed aluminum or some type on chrome in the gauge covers will help. i will definitely change the color in the radio knobs with darker color and chrome touches like the pictures of the above other cars. I also liked the shifter on the concept, the base housing was also nice. Oh well, ill have to wait and see what after market products will be available. Also i very much like the seats on the above picture, the red and black are coordinated, i don't like red seats on the camaro they have to much red.
Caliman93230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
lets go one by one

i dont think the door handles are clunky at all i have touched then with my own hands

Secondly the door panels are optional, they come with a interior colored trim piece standard

third they had test groups and the center stack style of the concept rated very high. thats why they kept it.

i have sat in the G8 and seen the camaro interior in person and the camaro is much nicer. the placement of the switches is better, the stereo controls are placed better, but i am a little concerned about the AC controls.

but you have to look at the fact that the car has an ecentric interior, it has a radical exterior that cant be mixed with a bland interior.

and....the entire dash and controls were molded/modeled after the IPOD.

replacing the head unit for nav was also explained by GM...not too many people are buying in dash nav since not everyone supplying them can offer up to date downloads. ....hence why GM went with the turn by turn navigation through onstar. I know not a lot of people are going to like that....like me....but, there's always TOM TOM, WHICH is awesome, if I may say. And, you get all sorts of downloads with that.

So, GM didn't want the nav put in there...or to make the opening like that. Just factors in what more people want.

I think it was more of a weigh in deal....do we want nav or a head unit capable of that? Or, do we want to offer bluetooth capability and ambient lighting? Cost situation.

I see what you are saying about the interior. I've been in the G8 and think GM did a PHENOMENAL job on it. I will agree 100% on that!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, they had reasons for doing certain thing on the Camaro like this. Some, we'll like...and some we won't. I know I would have changed a few things too....so, maybe the parts I don't like will grow on my like the front end did (OF THE ORIGINAL CONCEPT shown in Detroit!)....(love it now!).
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Sat in it, loved it. Even the HVAC/Radio...it didn't thrill me when I first saw them. The common critique about it looking like Nintendo controller comes up...but when you actually sit in the car, and reach for it....it all just fits. The handles were actually one of my favorite parts of the door. They seem very upscale to me.

I'm very glad they took this risk, because as much as some would prefer it -- once you sit in it for a minute or two, this interior begins to grow on you. And very soon you realize that it's just far and away from your standard Malibu or G8-style inside.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
how many of you have actually sat in the g8? i love the car but it has no switches on the door so it has everything in the center from windows to door locks to mirrors, and i dont like that
Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
how many of you have actually sat in the g8? i love the car but it has no switches on the door so it has everything in the center from windows to door locks to mirrors, and i dont like that
sat in it...was strange, but i could get used to it
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #9
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
My buddy at work got a G8 a while back. It's a very nice car but having all the button in the center console is a little strange.
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I guess i am one of those examples that doesn't like the interior, don't get me wrong i don't hate it, it is liveable for me, but it just isn't visually appealing to me. I cannot stand the center radio and air controls. i love the ambient lighting, if that wasn't there then this interior would not settle well with me at all.

this is what i want, i want the G8 seats, console, and radio/air controls, but i want the corvette guage cluster, and steering wheel.

Quote:
Thats actually one of the things i like about the car, to each his own i guess.

i will Throw in a corvette interior pic.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
thanks for the vet picture. . . I've made up my mind now. . . My goal is to take the colored panels from the Camaro and cover them in leather. . .
franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Eich,

You are driving a Audi A4. You may have to lower your standards a bit, unless you plan on another Audi. I like the interior of the Camaro, like several have said the radio and HVAC were a concern. I am trusting you guys who have sat in the car that it is nice. I hope the materials are first rate. I really like the G8 in comparison to other GM cars. The Mailbu has come a long way also. I am coming from a VW passat, the fit and finish is impeccable. IMO fit, finish and materials can make up for a lot if the interior has a few "issues". I will be very happy if it is on par or exceeds the G8 or the GTO regarding materials and fit.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I love the interior of the camaro, Im glad that they did something unique that fits with the outside of the car.. When you sit in it, it all just feels right, nothing looks or feels cheap. I opened the door from the inside, and i thought the handle was nice.

My advice is to just see and feel it in person, and then judge it.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
You're wrong.

Actually, you bring up some good points; however, I think it has the best-looking interior I've seen in a long time. It is very unique and provocative when it comes to shapes and designs. I, personally, feel that the radio controls are very classy and compact, which is much better than a button-busy center console. I'm a huge fan of the Camaro's interior. Had it been substantially less than what it ended up being, I might not have been so enthusiastic about the car.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote