Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #29
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
No, I'm not worried about fuel economy. I'll find other ways to save money if it ever becomes an issue.

Oil/gas prices these days have as much to do with speculation and a weak $ as they do with increased demand. They will come back down. I would bet they are in the mid $2 range sometime next year ('09).
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #30
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Hmm, buy a car with less power and make driving more boring, or move closer to work, reducing time spent in a boring commute, increasing family time or time for fun driving, and keeping costs down. Wow, this is a hard decision....

Or own a boring car with no power AND live close to work. LOL That's my current situation.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #31
camarocrazy28

Drives: 2013 SS
I have a loooong commute, like 65 miles. So, unfortunately, fuel economy is a factor. If the V-8 gets above 27 mpg highway I'll go that way. If it doesn't I'll consider the V-6, but only the 300 hp D.I. version, screw that 260 hp version that Lutz mentioned. Otherwise I'll get a Cobalt or even a Volt.
camarocrazy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #32
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
No, I'm not worried about fuel economy. I'll find other ways to save money if it ever becomes an issue.

Oil/gas prices these days have as much to do with speculation and a weak $ as they do with increased demand. They will come back down. I would bet they are in the mid $2 range sometime next year ('09).
We will never see mid $2 gas again, never....... Eco Enviro nuts (aka Al Gore) will make sure of that.
In Germany they are Paying over 7 Bucks a Gallon today. but remember 80% of that is Taxes, remove some of those taxes and they would be inline with our prices. Europe is already talkinf about cutting the Petro Taxes to offset fuel costs.

With Gas Prices reaching 3.50 now I have already parked the Mustang and bought a 98 Maxima for the commute.

By 2009-2010 Gas Prices are Expected to reach upwards of 6 bucks a Gal.
Both Democratic Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama - each support inceasing the federal gasoline tax by 50 cents per gallon, in a bid to reduce consumption. and Senator Obama also want's to include a carbon tax.

"Senator Obama's Detroit speech was cast in the press as bold truth-telling. Yet the quickest and most efficient way to deter gasoline consumption, if that is his real objective, is not CAFE standards, but higher gasoline prices--i.e., through a carbon tax."

So are we ready to Buy a Car, Mod it to be Faster and use more gas when Prices are going to be over 6 bucks by mid model year of the camaro?

I feel this is the end of the Muscle Cars as we know it, the first year or two sales will be brisk, but that won't last and GM, Ford and Dodge will cancel the V8's all together. So buy them now and store them away, the era is over.
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold

Last edited by 2K05GT; 03-20-2008 at 09:47 PM.
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #33
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
We will never see mid $2 gas again, never....... Eco Enviro nuts (aka Al Gore) will make sure of that.

With Gas Prices reaching 3.50 now I have already parked the Mustang and bought a 98 Maxima for the commute.

By 2009-2010 Gas Prices are Expected to reach upwards of 6 bucks a Gal.
Both Democratic Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama - each support inceasing the federal gasoline tax by 50 cents per gallon, in a bid to reduce consumption. and Senator Obama also want's to include a carbon tax.

"Senator Obama's Detroit speech was cast in the press as bold truth-telling. Yet the quickest and most efficient way to deter gasoline consumption, if that is his real objective, is not CAFE standards, but higher gasoline prices--i.e., through a carbon tax."

So are we ready to Buy a Car, Mod it to be Faster and use more gas when Prices are going to be over 6 bucks by mid model year of the camaro?

I feel this is the end of the Muscle Cars as we know it, the first year or two sales will be brisk, but that won't last and GM, Ford and Dodge will cancel the V8's all together. So buy them now and store them away, the era is over.
Don't worry, I'll buy my V8 (hopefully) and I'll protect my precious... my precious V8.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #34
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I care about fuel economy. I'm coming out of college and can't afford to keep paying for poor mileage. Besides, if we can make more power with less impact on the planet, then we should.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #35
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I care about fuel economy. I'm coming out of college and can't afford to keep paying for poor mileage. Besides, if we can make more power with less impact on the planet, then we should.
So which model are you gunning for?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #36
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Quote:
This is how the Younger Generation feels, Us Older Guys Will NEVER NEVER
Call a Car a MUSCLE Car without the V8 Rumble, I will not buy a weenie
sounding Camaro or Mustang, it must have a V8 Period. I don't care about 400hp 4 banger twin turbo, without the sound it don't mean squat.....

I built motors when I was younger, I Draged Race Semi-Pro at Gator Nationals in Florida, Pro Stock Corvette and Raced my Trans Am, I like the noise. I was Shocked when I returned to the track a few years ago, there was a little civic 4 banger there running 10-11 but never really liked them, I still loved the 57 chevy nomad, Big block running 12's. the sound made it
Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #37
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
classic V8 muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
So which model are you gunning for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
This is how the Younger Generation feels, Us Older Guys Will NEVER NEVER
Call a Car a MUSCLE Car without the V8 Rumble, I will not buy a weenie
sounding Camaro or Mustang, it must have a V8 Period. I don't care about 400hp 4 banger twin turbo, without the sound it don't mean squat.....

I built motors when I was younger, I Draged Race Semi-Pro at Gator Nationals in Florida, Pro Stock Corvette and Raced my Trans Am, I like the noise. I was Shocked when I returned to the track a few years ago, there was a little civic 4 banger there running 10-11 but never really liked them, I still loved the 57 chevy nomad, Big block running 12's. the sound made it
Having looked at Chevrolet's lineup, it's impossible to ignore that AFM technology is amazing. I feel no guilt saving up for a V8 with VVT and AFM tech. It's better than the competition on fuel economy and horsepower. Don't get me wrong. I love the Camaro for its tradition of power and style. I just also have a conscience when it comes to the environment. I have no regrets when it comes to Chevrolet with thanks due to their advanced fuel consumption technology. I want my 400 horses.

You're right. The V8 rumble really makes it, though. I've always aspired to have it. Now, I'll get it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #38
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Quote:
Having looked at Chevrolet's lineup, it's impossible to ignore that AFM technology is amazing. I feel no guilt saving up for a V8 with VVT and AFM tech. It's better than the competition on fuel economy and horsepower. Don't get me wrong. I love the Camaro for its tradition of power and style. I just also have a conscience when it comes to the environment. I have no regrets when it comes to Chevrolet with thanks due to their advanced fuel consumption technology. I want my 400 horses.
ehh, screw the environment, we will be Long gone before we ever hurt the environment. this planet has been pounded by astorids miles wide, plunging it into darkness for years and it always comes back. our existance on this earth is but a gnats memory.

Havent you heard, Global warming is out and Global cooling is in. apparently the GW theory is based on old inacurate data and the past year has been the coldest on record for more than 150 years.

http://globalwarming.org/primer/scienceFAQs

http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com...ast-12-months/

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...al_warming_go/

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm

http://meteo.lcd.lu/globalwarming/Mc...al_Warming.pdf

NASA; Arctic Ice Growing, not Melting
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...e-is-back.html

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ic_020822.html

http://www.nasa.gov/lb/vision/earth/...t/sea_ice.html

http://www.farnorthscience.com/2007/...ng-but-slowly/

Believe it or not, Global Warming is not due to human contribution of Carbon Dioxide (CO2). This in fact is the greatest deception in the history of science. We are wasting time, energy and trillions of dollars while creating unnecessary fear and consternation over an issue with no scientific justification.

I have studied this for many years working for the EPA and I have not seen any credible evidence of Global Warming
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #39
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
I could never do that, I've gotta be the guy behind the wheel at all times. And are you talking 25 highway, I'm assuming you are? 20 combines is do-able but it's likely to dip below that.
When did I say I would give up driving? They pay for my gas! And yes, I was talking about 25 hwy and averaging 20. I know how to drive efficiently, I was paid by the mile over the summer so even if it gets rated at 19, I will get that 20 . . . if I choose. But as I understand it this tends to hurt mileage:
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #40
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I dont really care about gas mileage but im sure I will after I'm out of college. In my cavalier now I can get ~26mpg city but most of the time I get 22, hehe lead foot. The highway I get up to 33-34.

Now that I think about it, I just might keep my green machine around for a while when I get my V8 just in case the mpg's aren't that great. Plus I cant get more than $2K for my car and I would probably have to pay the dealer to take it off my hands LOL, like they'd give me anything for it.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #41
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If a V8 makes better than 25 mpg, I'll be happy. Its quite good for a car making that much power. But is a bonus to me. So long as it gets an average of 20 or so I'm good. I know what I'm in for so I won't complain. if gas gets too bad, I'll carpool.
man if it had thoes numbers i would be SAVING money, my car gets about 16 MPG right now.....these series 2 3800 V6's suck a lot of gas let me tell you (same engine in the v6 4th gen)
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #42
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
I'm with ya on this. Any money saved anywhere is good by me. Its not just the gas prices that go into the decision too. A v8 is going to be a bigger car payment, that translates into a bigger insurance payment as well. Here the insurance alone is ridiculous. I was going to end up paying 300+ dollars a month for my 2005 Ford Escape just to insure the damn thing. Thats the reason I had to get rid of it. I am looking at with a car payment, insurance, gas and maintanence paying 800-1000 dollars a month. Yea I could move closer to my work and cut down on costs (my daily commute is probably 30 miles a day, plus I am a runner, so I easily put on 200 miles a week) but then my insurance skyrockets because 50% of it is based on the zipcode I am in. A second car is completely out of the question as well with the insurance. To have a muscle car with a v8 in it would be awesome, just to sit there and admire the fact that you have the car, but to me at least having a v6 with 300+ hp would be great. I'm sure a few mods aftermarket and you could get even the v6 pushing 400hp in the future if thats what was wanted. I know everyone talks about pulling up next to a mustang and revving the engine and blowing them out of the water... but how often does that happen to people? To me its not worth the thousands of dollars needed to jump to a v8. More power to you if you all can pull off having a v8, trust me I envy you, but I would simply be happy sitting in the cockpit of a Camaro with its evil grin hiding a nice v6.
i am with you 110% on this. a good SC can get the power up at least 50hp if not more, and keep that P/W ratio close to 50/50. so we'll have as much power, but better handling than the 40-50K$ Gas hog V8 camaros. i had a 93 blazer that got 15-22 mpg average... that was rough for me seeing as i am only 19... i think the 306hp 3.6L DI caddy engine will be the right one for me. this is a super smooth engine in its Malibu application (-DI 260hp) but it is a beast in the Caddy application so hopefully the caddy's DI engine makes it in so i can destroy any GT or Base Challenger Owner out there while getting more MPGs than them
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote