Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenS_84 View Post
Might want to double check that cure time for the machine sealant. I've seen on the AF that it only needs 30 mins to cure.
Please see above...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Ok guys-

There seems to be a big misunderstanding over the difference between hazing and curing on here lately.

You want to let it haze on the paint for 30 minutes. Then you wipe it off.

THEN you let it CURE for 12-24 hours before you apply anything over top.
Ahhh this makes sense.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Ahhh this makes sense.

Now we're cooking with gas
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Please see above...
We posted at the same time.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
We posted at the same time.
Jinx!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Ok guys-

There seems to be a big misunderstanding over the difference between hazing and curing on here lately.

You want to let it haze on the paint for 30 minutes. Then you wipe it off.

THEN you let it CURE for 12-24 hours before you apply anything over top.
Good point but at 1:33 he says "we did pretty much 30 minutes, it's a little cold today so we wanted to make sure that it's fully CURED"

Not trying to be augmentative, I will be doing mine Fri and want to make sure I have it right.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
Good point but at 1:33 he says "we did pretty much 30 minutes, it's a little cold today so we wanted to make sure that it's fully CURED"

Not trying to be augmentative, I will be doing mine Fri and want to make sure I have it right.
He misspoke, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that as a mistake. This is why detailing terminology is so frustrating, ESPECIALLY in the internet age where everything you say is permanently recorded. One slip of the tongue and you've confused 10,000+ people. Hell, Sal Zaino built an empire off of selling misbranded products, Turtle Wax does the same, NuFinish, the list goes on and on.

But if you're doing it this weekend, this is what you want to do:

Polish
Apply sealant
Let it haze up for approximately 20-30 minutes, depending on ambient temp and humidity
Buff off
Let it set overnight
If you see any hazing or streaks the next morning, go over it again with detail spray and a microfiber towel (this sometimes happens as it cures)
You're now free to apply another coat, wax, etc.
But ALWAYS wait 12-24 hours after applying a coat of sealant before you apply anything else.

Sealant---->Sealant; Wait 12 hours
Sealant---->Wax; Wait 12 hours
Wax------->Wax; Go for it

So, given the hassle of waiting so much, what I normally do is apply my sealant. Then I'll drive the car until my next wash. Then apply another coat of sealant. Drive it til the next wash, then apply my wax. This way I'm not messing around waiting idly, and I'm always sure I'm applying my next coat to perfectly clean paint.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks. I was originally planning on geting as far as sealent on Fri, then glaze and wax sat or sun. I will stick with plan A.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Our Machine Sealant needs to cure for 12-24 hours, but the aerosol Quick Sealant doesn't need nearly that long to cure. That's one of it's greatest benefits...that you can layer a glaze/wax over it in the same day instead of waiting overnight.
I know CamaroDreams07 has mentioned this earlier as well, but why would one want to apply a glaze AFTER a sealant?

Wouldn't the logical thing to do be to lock in the glaze with a sealant on top of it instead?
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
I know CamaroDreams07 has mentioned this earlier as well, but why would one want to apply a glaze AFTER a sealant?

Wouldn't the logical thing to do be to lock in the glaze with a sealant on top of it instead?
You should follow the manufacturer's directions.

Most call for glaze before sealant, whereas Adam's calls for glaze after sealant.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post

Synthetic sealants are engineered for longevity in mind, first and foremost. To get the most life out of them, they need to "bond" to your paint...which is where the cure time being discussed in here comes into play. The curing process is when the sealant does it's bonding.

If you layer a sealant over a glaze for instance (which only lasts weeks rather than months) then the sealant will begin to degrade at the same rate the glaze does, which is relatively quickly in comparison.

Our recommendation is:

• Seal to create a long-lasting barrier to build upon.
  • Glaze to add depth and gloss to your finish.
  • Wax to amplify the depth and gloss of the glaze, as well as lock everything in. Think of the wax as your final barrier between the environment and your paint.

Simple enough, right?

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Synthetic sealants are engineered for longevity in mind, first and foremost. To get the most life out of them, they need to "bond" to your paint...which is where the cure time being discussed in here comes into play. The curing process is when the sealant does it's bonding.

If you layer a sealant over a glaze for instance (which only lasts weeks rather than months) then the sealant will begin to degrade at the same rate the glaze does, which is relatively quickly in comparison.

Our recommendation is:

• Seal to create a long-lasting barrier to build upon.
  • Glaze to add depth and gloss to your finish.
  • Wax to amplify the depth and gloss of the glaze, as well as lock everything in. Think of the wax as your final barrier between the environment and your paint.

Simple enough, right?

Ok I wish somebody would provide some evidence to one side or the other on this. Todd from Autopia will argue the opposite, that sealants actually bonding or cross linking to paint is a myth. Obviously you're both well respected in this area, so I don't understand how we can still have this disagreement in this day and age of science and tech. This isn't a matter of opinion, it either does or it doesn't.

I will say I have found no difference in longevity whether sealant is applied first or after glaze. This makes my personal belief that sealant does not actually bond to paint, or if it does, it's not enough to impact long term performance.

Also when you have every single company on one side of the debate and only Adam's on the other... Idk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #27
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Is it OK to covert he car while the sealant is curing so that dust doesn't settle on the car if there will be a few days between sealant and wax?

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
Is it OK to covert he car while the sealant is curing so that dust doesn't settle on the car if there will be a few days between sealant and wax?
You'd be better off to just do a waterless wash when you're ready to do the next step. Covers scratch 100% of the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2