Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #183
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
That's true Chance, and the bluetooth stuff, cruise control, and OnStar amenities can be 86'd from the car as well I feel. The steering wheel on the proto Z/28 still has the stock ZL1 with those control switches. We need one cleaned up sans the switches. No time, or need, to have those things when wheeling the Z/28 around. Don't need directions, cruise control, or hands free calling pulling 1.OMG G hot laps.....
Road Atlanta is less than 30 minutes from me and the mountains are all around. All that's missing is...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #184
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I don't think lexan windows are street legal.
There is a company that makes a coating that can make it pass the abrasion tests. But that is more $$. I think the thinner glass is the best of both worlds.

Also some convertibles have plastic rear windows that yellow over time. I don't believe GM does this for that simple reason.

Keep in mind there are some things GM has to have because it has them on other vehicles. You can remove a lot of things, but simply removing everything is not practicle.

Yes, you could take even more stuff out/off. That isn't the issue.

Take the window regulator for example. To engineer, test/validate a manual crank window would easy to do. And yes you could spend the additional money to tool up that crank window. And then if you divide the cost of the engineering, testing and tooling by whatever number of Z/28s you expect to sell you will find that you just added another $XX to the cost of the car AND you would have a door that wouldn't close because the Camaro was designed with indexing glass so that at high speeds (say those seen at a track day) the window will stay sealed. So now GM would have to engineer an entirely new door seal just for the Z/28 to have manual windows. And that is wayyyyy more than $XX. And what would you have saved for that? The weight of two small power window motors that weigh no more than a few pounds. And you would be adding back in two cranks.

Just know there is much more to this "how much can you take out" game than meets the eye. It's not as easy as you all think.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #185
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

What would be the weight savings in replacing the front fenders with carbon fibre ones?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #186
plmorris54

Drives: 2012 Nissan 370Z
Well said I could not agree more with what you said. I just wish they would have taken it even farther with overall weight reduction. Never the less a great platform to build upon.
plmorris54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #187
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
What would be the weight savings in replacing the front fenders with carbon fibre ones?
Carbon Fiber has a density of 83 lb/cuft. Steel is around 500 lb/cuft. So roughly 16% of steel.

Not sure what a Camaro fender weighs.

Could Google the weight of the Z06 front fenders and come close. Those I worked on.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #188
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Carbon Fiber has a density of 83 lb/cuft. Steel is around 500 lb/cuft. So roughly 16% of steel.

Not sure what a Camaro fender weighs.

Could Google the weight of the Z06 front fenders and come close. Those I worked on.
That is a huge difference. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #189
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
That 16% is at the same thickness. What I wonder is what the carbon fiber to steel thickness ratio might be . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #190
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

From what I've been able to find the front fender is only 5 lbs. less in CF than the stock one. Not very much of a difference IMO.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #191
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There is a company that makes a coating that can make it pass the abrasion tests. But that is more $$. I think the thinner glass is the best of both worlds.

Also some convertibles have plastic rear windows that yellow over time. I don't believe GM does this for that simple reason.

Keep in mind there are some things GM has to have because it has them on other vehicles. You can remove a lot of things, but simply removing everything is not practicle.

Yes, you could take even more stuff out/off. That isn't the issue.

Take the window regulator for example. To engineer, test/validate a manual crank window would easy to do. And yes you could spend the additional money to tool up that crank window. And then if you divide the cost of the engineering, testing and tooling by whatever number of Z/28s you expect to sell you will find that you just added another $XX to the cost of the car AND you would have a door that wouldn't close because the Camaro was designed with indexing glass so that at high speeds (say those seen at a track day) the window will stay sealed. So now GM would have to engineer an entirely new door seal just for the Z/28 to have manual windows. And that is wayyyyy more than $XX. And what would you have saved for that? The weight of two small power window motors that weigh no more than a few pounds. And you would be adding back in two cranks.

Just know there is much more to this "how much can you take out" game than meets the eye. It's not as easy as you all think.
Not to mention crank window control would weigh more than the electrics. Pointless exercise. And for those complain gong about the radio. I haven't tuned mine on since I tested it at the dealership 3 years ago. Engine sounds too sweet. I suspect the Z/28 will be as pleasant.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #192
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
i wonder how they plan on doing the 2014 required backup camera. mylink or bringing back the rear view mirror one?
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #193
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaCamaroKid View Post
I think it comes down to what track they are saying its 3 seconds faster than the ZL1 on, because in both cases of it being ( examples ) 3 seconds faster than VIR or Laguna Seca that is pretty much Ferrari 458 territory :S Though I agree 60k for a base Camaro is a little steep, 60k in comparison to a car that cost 250k isnt that much.... Just my 2 cents

And if anybody reply's and says "but its a Ferrari" I will hit you with a 2x4 through the computer, you get my point.
But it's a Ferrari!
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote