Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #197
Restroom
Screw it; buying a Vette

Drives: '08 Corvette C6 Coupe (A6)
We should round up the people who bought the car for looks and shoot them.
Ditto the "advanced engineers".
They all have twenty sisters.
Each of these sisters carries the plague.
Life is filthy and no one will ever be happy.
When I purchase an automobile I will devise a road course by placing six hundred dollars' worth of groceries very carefully along a section of proving grounds, and I will drive my precious brandnewcar over and over every bag of food, gourd and plumjuice I have purchased with my HardEarnedMoney. I will sustain an erection. No one will be my master. My automobile, perfect upon perfect. The news will travel. I will grow old and die. Then, finally, your car will be perfect. Everyone will have had their say. Birds will eat the remnants of crushed groceries on my legendary test track.
Restroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #198
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Ok latest update.

They want the car Monday or Tuesday. Have to see how busy the shop is. GM wants all kinds of reading off the exhaust in different places. Then they said go ahead and put the GMMP axle back on and take the readings again and do 0-60 runs.

Guess they are thinking the exhaust my be causing issues and holding the thing back.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #199
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Arrow irpq1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
I'd like to know how many people broke theirs in by banging it are having problems as opposed to the ones who broke it in by babying it.
Check out this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33914
Old 07-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #200
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restroom View Post
We should round up the people who bought the car for looks and shoot them.
Ditto the "advanced engineers".
They all have twenty sisters.
Each of these sisters carries the plague.
Life is filthy and no one will ever be happy.
When I purchase an automobile I will devise a road course by placing six hundred dollars' worth of groceries very carefully along a section of proving grounds, and I will drive my precious brandnewcar over and over every bag of food, gourd and plumjuice I have purchased with my HardEarnedMoney. I will sustain an erection. No one will be my master. My automobile, perfect upon perfect. The news will travel. I will grow old and die. Then, finally, your car will be perfect. Everyone will have had their say. Birds will eat the remnants of crushed groceries on my legendary test track.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #201
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Ok latest update.

They want the car Monday or Tuesday. Have to see how busy the shop is. GM wants all kinds of reading off the exhaust in different places. Then they said go ahead and put the GMMP axle back on and take the readings again and do 0-60 runs.

Guess they are thinking the exhaust my be causing issues and holding the thing back.
Holy crappers! all the exausts are the same. The car is detuned from the factory to protect the drive train, is that possible?

Last edited by rpepka; 07-24-2009 at 07:50 PM.
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #202
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Ok latest update.

Hmm.. That could explain why many of those L99 Camaro's who have had their exhausts modded are getting close to normal times..
Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #203
rpepka

Quote:
Ok latest update.

Scott, that just sounds a little strange to me, well maybe they got a bad bach of cats? Just no torque. I still am wondering why it shifts at 5500 from 1st to 2nd?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #204
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
Scott, that just sounds a little strange to me, well maybe they got a bad bach of cats? Just no torque. I still am wondering why it shifts at 5500 from 1st to 2nd?

This among other things. NO WAY the exhaust system is causing these slow accelaration times. If you build a bunch of engines and computerize them, I can see there being variances with all the little and big internal parts involved. Exhaust? No way. And it wouldn't explain the fact that the problem is only with a few. So I'm supposed to believe that the piping is somehow thinner or larger than others?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #205
rpepka

Quote:

This among other things. NO WAY the exhaust system is causing these slow accelaration times. If you build a bunch of engines and computerize them, I can see there being variances with all the little and big internal parts involved. Exhaust? No way. And it wouldn't explain the fact that the problem is only with a few. So I'm supposed to believe that the piping is somehow thinner or larger than others?
I have to agree sounds like to me as well. I really think the cars have been detuned intentally to put less stress on the drive train for less warrenteed repairs.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #206
aircooled

Drives: 2005 Chevy Cavalier
Quote:

Why couldn't the exhaust be holding it back? if ya can't get he spent fuel out how do ya expect to cram fresh fuel in
aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #207
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
I have to agree sounds like to me as well. I really think the cars have been detuned intentally to put less stress on the drive train for less warrenteed repairs.
You act as if this isn't done on EVERY car. There's always a balance that needs to be struck between performance and wear and tear. They also have to account for differences between each build. No two are EXACTLY the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
Why couldn't the exhaust be holding it back? if ya can't get he spent fuel out how do ya expect to cram fresh fuel in
It would make sense if it's happening across all cars. But it's not. Their point is that the performance of the cars vary but it's highly unlikely that the exhaust systems vary enough to cause the issues that have been seen.

I'll also add that I think the exhaust stuff is BS. It sounds like they are thinking that the GMPP exhaust might be just enough of a boost to make Scott happy. They know you've got the exhaust waiting to be installed so they are using that to hold you over.

It sounds like they have no clue wtf is going on but know there's a problem, even if they haven't admitted it yet.

They need to take a few good cars and a few bad cars and compare them. Figure out what the difference is. They need to look at their service records and find those cars that have been brought in due to this. It shouldn't be that hard to find them.

Maybe they're already doing this and we just don't know? Remember, they have to be careful of what they do/say for PR reasons. If they confirm that there's issues but don't know wtf is wrong, it's just going to cause a lot of ranting and raving on here as well as all the blogs/magazine sites. Hopefully they're working on a solution and once they get it figured out they'll announce it all at once "Yes, there's an issue and here's what we're doing to fix it" would be much better, PR wise, than "yes, there's an issue but we've got no clue". The other thing potentially throwing a wrench in all this is the LS3 transmission issues. The powertrain engineers are probably already spread pretty thing and they're having to work that issue as well.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #208
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Arrow Scott...

Quote:
Ok latest update. They want the car Monday or Tuesday. Have to see how busy the shop is. GM wants all kinds of reading off the exhaust in different places. Then they said go ahead and put the GMMP axle back on and take the readings again and do 0-60 runs. Guess they are thinking the exhaust my be causing issues and holding the thing back.
If all else fails, you could follow the suggestion in the 2010 Camaro Owners Manual which states:

"The BBB Auto Line Program is an out of court program administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus to settle automotive disputes regarding vehicle repairs or the interpretation of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Although you may be required to resort to this informal dispute resolution program prior to filing a court action, use of the program is free of charge and your case will generally be heard within 40 days. If you do not agree with the decision given in your case, you may reject it and proceed with any other venue for relief available to you. You may contact the BBB Auto Line Program using the toll-free telephone number or write them at the following address:

BBB Auto Line Program
Council of Better Business
Bureaus, Inc.
4200 Wilson Boulevard
Suite 800
Arlington, VA 22203-1838
Telephone: 1-800-955-5100
www.dr.bbb.org/goauto
Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #209
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
Too True

Too True

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow

Mess up any of the four, and you are FUBAR

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #210
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
exhaust is not holding the car back,, look at the inside of the factory muffler, it is just a straight pipe,, no power to be gained from just a muffler swap on these cars

even the resonator on the L99 cars is straight through,, when i cut mine off for the x-pipe you could see right straight through it!

415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote