Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Be careful who you end up going with. I can tell you, for a fact, at least here in California, a LOT of these companies ONLY look for the bottom line and not necessarily the actual repair of the car. I'm not going to mention names, however, I had to work with an insurance company that only really considered repair vs. replacement cost percentages. For example, if a truck bedside required 20 hours of repair, not including paint or removing/installing trim, they'd rather spend more money on repairing that bedside than replace it, even if it were cheaper. I got in trouble with them because I wanted to replace higher than their percentage and they didn't like it.

My bottom line, is I have Mercury and know they aren't as big as a lot of companies already stated and all I'll say is I'd rather pay a little more for a company that doesn't use aftermarket replacement parts or push hard on used parts, like MOST of those listed. I'm not trying to be dark on anyone, I just get really heated when I think about all the times these insurance companies got super cheap with the repairs when the customers' rates didn't reflect the repair the insurance company ended up paying for.

Do the research, and get the details on what kind of parts they will pay for. If you don't mind used or aftermarket parts being put on your car, then it's no problem. If you do, most of these companies are going to suprise you if the time comes to have repairs performed on your car...

Oh contrare monfrair... I'm an insurance adjuster for AAA and Mercury is the BANE of the industry for crappy coverage, shady fault decisions (a few years ago they placed my mom at fault for a solo accident even though it was caused by mechanical failure, prob to get the premium increase), and low-ball estimates. You pay your premiums right? Someone rear-ends you, you have coverage so you report your claim to Mercury. The FIRST thing your Mercury adjuster will do is find out if the other person has coverage, and if they do you'll most likely be shuttled to the other carrier and get crappyservice from them... but you pay your premiums to Mercury... they're SUPPOSED to help YOU! If you're in an accident and it's not your fault, most likely AAA can waive your deductible and take care of you... I've NEVER told any insured to go to the other persons insurance unless they didn't have collision coverage. As far as new vs. used parts, this is an issue I deal with very often with my insured's. Say you drive a 2004 Impala and someone t-bone's your doors. Your car has been driven aka USED for approximately 4 years, right? Why would you expect us to replace USED parts with BRAND NEW ones that probably won't fit right anyway? We absolutely won't use aftermarket for anything besides AC Condensors and Radiators because research has shown that non OEM parts perform consistently as wheel and often times better that their factory counter parts... but sheet metal, never. As far as repair vs. replace, if a part is repairable it makes more sense to do that than replace it in most cases, if you've got a bumb heart I'm sure you'd rather they give you a pacemaker than a transplant. Your heart's already there, it fits, your body accepts it... if it's broke fix it!

Now there are alot of companies out there that will write a crappy estimate and use aftermarket sheet metal and mechanicals to save a few bucks, but trust me... Mercury is one of them also. Besides that their service is ass, they're crooked, adjusters are just dumb (I have a claim I'm working now with them... ), and because they have a reputation for being cheap everyone in SoCal thinks they're the best deal in town.

I've been in the trenches sir, and I think you ought to do your research.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
USAA is all I will ever use.

I will pay what they charge me. It has always been a fair and competitive price.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Other than rates, another thing to consider is how the insurance company is going to be when you have to file a claim. The best way to find this out is talk to local body shops and ask them which the best insurance companies are for them to deal with. Take that information and your quotes and pick the best one for you from the options given.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #18
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
Other than rates, another thing to consider is how the insurance company is going to be when you have to file a claim. The best way to find this out is talk to local body shops and ask them which the best insurance companies are for them to deal with. Take that information and your quotes and pick the best one for you from the options given.
True true true... you get what you pay for, Lordforbid you actually have a claim and it takes 3 months resolve because your carrier is ass.
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #19
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
Never thought of that. Excellent idea!

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #20
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
idk how your guys insurance is so cheap with these muscle cars i pay 1300 a year for liability on my blazer and most of you are payin around the same for full coverage yeah im only 19 but i dont think that should make that big of a diffrence and i have 1 speeding ticket when i was 16
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Oh contrare monfrair... <edited out body>
I've been in the trenches sir, and I think you ought to do your research.
lol @ Oh contrare monfrair

anyways this is exactly correct. i have used State Farm for years and while i pay a little bit more then some others listed i know they take care of me. part of it is also knowing ahead of time what shop you want it taken too. the same shop takes care of all my car post accident restoration needs. so i know that they know how to work with my company to get everything i need done done right. so you may pay a little bit more on your premium but every Cent you spend comes back to you with the peace of mind that everything is being done right with quality parts. its worth an extra $50-$100 a year for me for the piece of mind
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #22
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
I am 46, have full coverage on a 2007 Civic Si sedan and pay $780 a year full coverage, car only, not a multi discount like home owners, etc. I asked the estimated for a BMW 135i which is about the same as the Camaro, and was quoted about $1,050 a year.

Civic Si $65 a month
Camaro SS $88 a month

Civic Si gas $20 a week
Camaro SS gas $30 a week.

Civic Si $305 a month
Camaro SS $500 a month

Civic Si total per month $457
Camaro SS total per month $588

My recent raise will cover the difference.

COME ON CAMARO, I AM WAITING...
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #23
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzox View Post
idk how your guys insurance is so cheap with these muscle cars i pay 1300 a year for liability on my blazer and most of you are payin around the same for full coverage yeah im only 19 but i dont think that should make that big of a diffrence and i have 1 speeding ticket when i was 16
You would be surprised at how much the drop is at the age of 25. On my current 95 Camaro, when I moved to Idaho I was 24 years old, when I went to transfer my insurance my rate was going to be $165 a month for a 6 month premium. I turned 25 and that rate dropped to $60 a month for that same premium, so over a $100 a month drop.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #24
122 more than a Stang

Drives: future 2010 Black RS/SS
Send a message via AIM to 122 more than a Stang
and plus for the fact that your ticket doesn't help your cause.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #25
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
Yeah i know that didn't help at all but it didn't make it much worse it only raised it i think 20 bucks a year with that ticket so it was that bad before it but that was when i just started and was a retarded teenager even though i'm still a teen i'm not the same retarded little kid that i was then
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #26
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It'll be a LOT more for me as a teenager. Which is why I'll opt for a V6 Camaro over the SS.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzox View Post
When I got my license at 17 in 1991 I paid $1300 a year for a 9 year old V8 Camaro. That's for liability and no tickets.

From 18-20 I paid over $3000 for full coverage on a 2 year old V6 Camaro.

After the '91 Camaro I had a '95 Cavalier for 5 years. I forget what I paid for insurance, but I think it was still over $2000.

In 2000 I got a job with the New Jersey Department of Corrections which allowed me to get State insurance. This was also the year I turned 25. Turning 25 dropped my insurance DRASTICALLY.

My last 3 vehicles (2000 Extended Cab LS S10 V6 Xtreme, 2002 Camaro Coupe and 2005 Aveo LT Sedan) have been only as high as $1100 for the Camaro to about $900 for the Aveo. And my insurance company gives you money back every December (about $75 or so).

I checked what an '09 Mustang would be for me from Geico last night. There's no option for a particular trim level, but it quoted me just over $1000 a year for the Mustang.

I doubt the new Camaro will be more than $1200 a year for me.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote