Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
VTodd

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS
Rear Speakers in 2010 Camaro

I posted this earlier - but in the DIY forum - thought I would post it here where it belongs:

Ok - first - please go easy on me - I am not a sterophile - my cousin and I are trying to install a sub and new front door and rear speakers in a 2010 Camaro.

My quesiton is this - the rear speakers we are installing sound like crap. They are infinity kappa series speakers. But there is only a single input on the speakers where the BA speakers that we pulled out had both the high and the low inputs - is the simple answer - "you just can't use the kappas?" We tried hooking the two positives and two negatives together and there is a terible crackle in the speaker - so that isn't the answer.

Do I need to specifically find a speaker that has the dual high and low inputs?
VTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
Not sure there is an easy way to do this. The factory system is bi-amped and has specific signals run to woofer and tweeter. Here is what crutchfied had to say about installing rear speakers.

"To install this product, you’ll have to modify your vehicle. Use the factory speaker grilles. Fabricate a speaker mounting bracket or spacer. A wiring harness is not available. Cut off the factory connectors and splice the vehicle's speaker wires to your new speaker wires. The factory amplifier sends bass and treble through separate sets of wires to the speakers. You can replace the factory radio with an aftermarket receiver, and the factory amplifier will still drive the rear factory speakers. However, if you want to replace the factory speakers, you'll have to replace the factory radio. You'll also have to bypass the factory amp by cutting and splicing into the factory wire harness".
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
are you replacing the tweeter and driver or just the lower driver?
If you are just replacing the lower driver then you would just use the low input it you are replacing the tweeter you will use the high input.
Or you need to get a set of components that have bi-level imputs so you can run the high and low into the crossover then out to the speakers.
strauchpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
VTodd

Ok - here is where we are now.

We took the infinity Kappa's apart and wired the high and low wires directly to the speaker - the low end sounds like sh*t! and the highs aren't even that great.

So now my question is this - if I just want to add a 4 channel amp and power the front and rear speakers through it - where do I tap in to get the signal to do it?

The whole "high and low" signal wires on the rear is what is messing me up.

Do I need to use something like the 'Cleansweep" to merge the signals back together and then take that to the amp?

BTW - the sub wolfer works fine and we just tapped into the preamp signal going to the factory amp in the trunk.

Any help appreciated!

Todd
Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
strauchpete
Account Suspended

yes you would need a cleansweep but also you would need the attachment for it called the SSI it is a bi level summoning device that you would run the highs and the lows into it and then it would plug into the cleansweep.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
VTodd

Does the clean sweep go in front of or behind the factory amp??
Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
VTodd

Also - why can't I just tap the 8 input wires from the head unit, and not use the cleansweep, and run those into the new amp and cut the speaker connections coming out of the factory amp for the front and rear speakers - that would leave the center channel in the dash running off the factory amp and the other four speakers running off the new 4 channel amp?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
strauchpete
Account Suspended

it will go after the factory amp,

the wires pre-amp are low level and if you tap into those you will have to turn the radio up most all the way to get sound to come out of your speakers.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
VTodd

I wasn't saying to go directly from the pre-am signal to the speakers - I was asking if I could tap the 8 wires coming from the head unit into the factory amp and run those to the new 4 channel amp to power the front and rear speakers. Thereby elminating the need for the cleansweep. I would be putting the low level signal from the head unit directly to the new 4 channel amp.

Does that make sense?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
strauchpete
Account Suspended

no thats what I ment the first time the low lvl signal from the radio only put out max 1v from what I have read that is way to low for a aftermarket amp to give you any good signal. The cheapest radio out at least gives you 2v out put and the cleansweep would give you up to 8v out put. If the factory amp did not cross over the signals you could just get an amp that had high level input and use that but since it is crossed over you would need some way to sum it all back together and make it flat line and that is what the cleansweep with the SSI would do.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
VTodd

Thanks for all your help. I have the cleansweep ordered!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
strauchpete
Account Suspended

did you also order http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?page_id=193 the SSI piece for the summoning of the high and low signals
Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
VTodd

Yep - I got that in addition to the cleansweep main box!

Thanks once again for your help!

You saved me hours of frustration I am sure