Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
FRONT PLATE MOUNT/ AIR FLOW

Hi all, since I posted a few photo's of my front plate mount I have had a handfull of messages concerning air flow to the radiator. This is something of importance so I figured I will address it here. The mounting of the plate in the lower grille has had no measurable affect on cooling. Where as the plate is not mounted against the radiator air flow is not reduced enough if at all to cause problems. When the plate is mounted ,the area behind it does not create a big black hole where air can't flow. Some obvious examples would be simply look at a corvette, same or similar motors, the car's body design is such that drag is decreased by flowing air around the car so it creates less resistance yet the grill of a corvette is MUCH smaller in total area than the camaro's upper and lower grille, and they don't run much hotter. Many camaro owners have there plate mounts wire tied to the lower grill also to some extent blocking some air flow, they have no problems. If you are considering something like this I have a simple test, take a pice of carboard the same size as your plate and wire tie it to the grille, drive around and keep an eye on your temp. gauge and you will see NO difference. The original post is Front Plate Mount Mod.
Attached Images

Last edited by CFD; 06-19-2010 at 07:25 AM.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
that looks much better than the nasty bumper bracket that they put on there.

not sure about air flow though.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
that looks much better than the nasty bumper bracket that they put on there.

not sure about air flow though.
Thanks, This unit has been in use for about a month or so and I drive my vehicles hard, and have no problems, for some reason people seem to think that air doesn't move around obstacles or through bends, such as with intake tubes but in reality IT DOES. My sugestions to any who have doubts is don't do it
Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
was it difficult to mount your plate like that?

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
If you have concerns because of air flow, look at how little grill space the 4th gens have compared to these cars. Now tell me how concerned you really are.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
was it difficult to mount your plate like that?
I wouldn't say that it is difficult but some fabricating & welding are required. There is more detail on it in this post "front plate mount mod".
Old 06-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
If you have concerns because of air flow, look at how little grill space the 4th gens have compared to these cars. Now tell me how concerned you really are.
I used the corvette as an example but you are correct gen 4 are an excellent example as well
Old 06-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
obe1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM, 1995 Blown Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Apples and oranges; fourth Gen is a bottom breather that has a deflector under and behind the grille to route air to the radiator. I'm not suggesting your design is an issue, just stating air routing on a fourth Gen is completely different.
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
obe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by obe1 View Post
Apples and oranges; fourth Gen is a bottom breather that has a deflector under and behind the grille to route air to the radiator. I'm not suggesting your design is an issue, just stating air routing on a fourth Gen is completely different.
This is true and adds to my point. The air is not directly passing through the grille into the radiator but does get there, even so the grille area on the gen 5 is still much larger. Behind the grille are also deflectors on both sides as well as on the bottom so there is more than adequate amount of air flow directed to the radiator.Even with that said the main point is there is not a void behind the plate mount where air can't flow.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
CFD

Just an update, since the mods to the front plate I have put on about 4500 miles, the last few days here have been hovering around the 100 deg mark. Today it is 104 here and I have been driving the hell out of my car enjoying my new tapshifter. Even with the very hot weather and my really hard driving my engine temps are still as normal.Usually I am running between 192 and 196, when stuck in traffic it rises to about 205 when my fans kick in. Absolutely no problems and temps. are normal'
Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Texhawk

Drives: 69Camaro,87IROC,96 SS,Z06&Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Thanks, This unit has been in use for about a month or so and I drive my vehicles hard, and have no problems, for some reason people seem to think that air doesn't move around obstacles or through bends, such as with intake tubes but in reality IT DOES. My sugestions to any who have doubts is don't do it
Not a question about whether air can go around objects. It gets down to open area.
Texhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhawk View Post
Not a question about whether air can go around objects. It gets down to open area.
Yes this is true and a couple of things to keep in mind.First of all these have been mentioned before but obviously no one is paying attention so here goes again. First of all the total grille area (top & bottom) is way more than necessary, yes more may be better but not necessary, second the area that has been blocked by the plate is far enough in front of the radiator that it is not reducing the amount of air directly in front of it, if it was against it or very very close it would have a major effect because it would then be reducing the area.As you drive down the street look at some of the grille areas on vehicles some are puny in comparison MOST IMPORTANTLY I am not arguing theory here, you can all have your opinions but the fact is that this car is a daily driver, it probably has more miles on it since the plate mod than a lot of cars here have in a year, it is driven regardless of rain heat or any other conditions and it has no problems at all, so argue that. I am an older guy who has been building cars and bikes for 40 years and still live buy the motto when the green flag drops the bull shit stops and the flag has been dropped.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks good
Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
looks good
Thanks, got a question, maybe your answer will enlighten those stubborn ones here. I see in the photo of your car you have a front plate mount mounted on your lower grille as many here heve done, granted mine might cover an additional 1 1/2 - 2 in" area than yours. Question being do you see hotter than normal temps. I doubt it, everyone else with similar set-ups any problems.