Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #43
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Do you really think that scoop is big enough to feed your engine properly? Looking at the results, it's not.
It scoop was big enough that I could run 12.5 @ 112 MPH with long tubes, the Airaid, and a tune on the stock pirellis. I think that's comparable to other CAI's on an L99 heh!
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #44
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
Rotofab...Fits GREAT, looks great (can be painted easy), great customer service, cost under $300 out the door, simple install... also can add a radiator cover to it (Drink Holder)
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #45
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
Yes.

I have had all kinds of stuff sucked into the box, cigarette butts and leaves and other crap.

You think GM can't engineer a good intake scoop?
Never said they couldn't engineer a good intake funnel but that isn't the point. Looking at the results from all the tests, the stock box is the baseline and most of the others are better. If the OEM intake location was that good, everyone would be incorporating it. It if was that good, the intake pipe replacements would have fair better. Bottom line, IT ISN'T. Is it good enough to make a difference, absolutlely, but if you want max performance, you need to have another source of air coming into your filter area. Why do you think the ADM scoop makes such a difference? IT ADDS MORE AIR around the filter. I know you feel the need to support your choice of CAI's but facts are facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
It scoop was big enough that I could run 12.5 @ 112 MPH with long tubes, the Airaid, and a tune on the stock pirellis. I think that's comparable to other CAI's on an L99 heh!
That's very nice. How fast would have gone with a CAI, ADM, Halltech?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #46
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Never said they couldn't engineer a good intake funnel but that isn't the point. Looking at the results from all the tests, the stock box is the baseline and most of the others are better. If the OEM intake location was that good, everyone would be incorporating it. It if was that good, the intake pipe replacements would have fair better. Bottom line, IT ISN'T. Is it good enough to make a difference, absolutlely, but if you want max performance, you need to have another source of air coming into your filter area. Why do you think the ADM scoop makes such a difference? IT ADDS MORE AIR around the filter. I know you feel the need to support your choice of CAI's but facts are facts.

Where did i say the Airaid is the end all be all intake?

You sure are putting allot of words in my mouth here. I know what works outside a Dyno and that's all that matters to me...the scoop works and it does it very well.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #47
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Where did i say the Airaid is the end all be all intake?

You sure are putting allot of words in my mouth here. I know what works outside a Dyno and that's all that matters to me...the scoop works and it does it very well.
You're the one making a huge ordeal out of this. All I said was that the OEM funnel isn't big enough to feed your engine. I even gave examples to back that up. Why are you argueing about it?
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #48
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Quote:

Who cares? The OP is not asking about these brands and don't be confused that they are the best. Posts for this thread should be only about comparing Rotofab and Airaid. Stay on point.
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #49
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFTW View Post

Who cares? The OP is not asking about these brands and don't be confused that they are the best. Posts for this thread should be only about comparing Rotofab and Airaid. Stay on point.
It's called OPTIONS. There's $20 difference between the Airaid, R-F, and Halltech. Wouldn't you want the members of C5 to give you more options that you may not know about?
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #50
OBX Bumblebee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS T/F Edition
I've had a Roto-Fab on mine for about three months. Love the fit and finish of the unit in the engine compartment. Love the additional growl I get when I push the car. Very pleased with mine so far.
OBX Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #51
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX Bumblebee View Post
I've had a Roto-Fab on mine for about three months. Love the fit and finish of the unit in the engine compartment. Love the additional growl I get when I push the car. Very pleased with mine so far.
Thanks for using our product. Everyone seems to have a different opinion, but those that actually have our intake system are pleased with the performance, sound and fit. We value the opinions of our customers, so we are very happy to see so many positive comments from our end users.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #52
JS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Axis I love ya pal but DO U ACTUALLY HAVE A DYNO?
DO U ACTUALLY TEST PARTS?

We do everyday and build some very fast cars.

In the end all the kits are within a few ponies of each other so just pick what u like and leave it at that, honestly unless u tune the car,testing intakes is imo nonsense...

Love ya pal, wasnt trying to single u out
Magnaflow Magnapack Axleback & Resonated X-Pipe/OBX LT Headers/Airaid Cold Air Kit/Injection Connection Tuned
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #53
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS View Post
Axis I love ya pal but DO U ACTUALLY HAVE A DYNO?
DO U ACTUALLY TEST PARTS?

We do everyday and build some very fast cars.

In the end all the kits are within a few ponies of each other so just pick what u like and leave it at that, honestly unless u tune the car,testing intakes is imo nonsense...

Love ya pal, wasnt trying to single u out
It's all cool. I've been in on many testing sessions, just not much for the 10 Camaro. Airflow is airflow no matter what you're driving. I was just going by the numbers being put out. No one besides Airaid and a few places that offer tube replacements, use the OEM snorkle. This tells me that it isn't the best to exclusively feed your intake. Opening up more places for air intake is always a good thing, provided it's not hot engine bay air. Seeing that the ADM scoop gave CAI's intake 4+hp and 5 or so Tq tells me that even opening up the bottom leaves more gains to be had. If I missed something or misinterpreted the data, please show me where I went astray. I never said Airaid was bad, just that I don't think the OEM snorkle is sufficient for providing all the airflow.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 10-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #54
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
It's all cool. I've been in on many testing sessions, just not much for the 10 Camaro. Airflow is airflow no matter what you're driving. I was just going by the numbers being put out. No one besides Airaid and a few places that offer tube replacements, use the OEM snorkle. This tells me that it isn't the best to exclusively feed your intake. Opening up more places for air intake is always a good thing, provided it's not hot engine bay air. Seeing that the ADM scoop gave CAI's intake 4+hp and 5 or so Tq tells me that even opening up the bottom leaves more gains to be had. If I missed something or misinterpreted the data, please show me where I went astray. I never said Airaid was bad, just that I don't think the OEM snorkle is sufficient for providing all the airflow.
All of this type of testing done on a dyno (inlet scoops vs. stock inlet, etc) makes one huge assumption...that the air flow on the front of the car on this dyno is the same as the air flow on the car in actual driving conditions. That means in terms of volume and presentation. I don't know how many of you have seen an actual wind tunnel, but that's what it takes to accurately simulate this type of air flow.
We may also offer a scoop; however, we haven't tested one on the Camaro yet. Do not misunderstand, I am not claiming it does or doesn't work, but I will definitely tell you it takes a very sophisticated wind tunnel to test this. I could cut a hole in the left fender at the air box location and pick up HP on a hood-closed dyno run. This is especially true if the air flow to the front of the car is not the same as actual road driving. However, it doesn't mean I would see a benefit in actual driving conditions. It's simply means that on the dyno, the intake has an additional place from which to pull outside air easily which will result in more power.
IMO, the track is the place to test inlet duct variations, not the dyno.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #55
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Airaid uses the factory intake scoop and yes it does work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
The Airaid is our most popular selling CAI period.

I was a firm believer in the AFE and still have it on our 2SS, but I can't help but notice the sheer volume of Airaids that we sell.

I'm sure there's a pretty damn good reason. It's not the prettiest, but there's something about HP/Dollar that just motivates buyers.

-Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
All of this type of testing done on a dyno (inlet scoops vs. stock inlet, etc) makes one huge assumption...that the air flow on the front of the car on this dyno is the same as the air flow on the car in actual driving conditions. That means in terms of volume and presentation. I don't know how many of you have seen an actual wind tunnel, but that's what it takes to accurately simulate this type of air flow.
We may also offer a scoop; however, we haven't tested one on the Camaro yet. Do not misunderstand, I am not claiming it does or doesn't work, but I will definitely tell you it takes a very sophisticated wind tunnel to test this. I could cut a hole in the left fender at the air box location and pick up HP on a hood-closed dyno run. This is especially true if the air flow to the front of the car is not the same as actual road driving. However, it doesn't mean I would see a benefit in actual driving conditions. It's simply means that on the dyno, the intake has an additional place from which to pull outside air easily which will result in more power.
Thanks RotoFab...
Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #56
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
I agree with you but this is the best we have to go on, at this time. While Ted may not be able to duplicate real world driving conditions, it appears as though he can come as close as we're going to see. To my knowledge, no one has a 100+mph wind tunnel at their disposal. Has anyone tested their intake in a proper wind tunnel? Do you really think track testing could be precisesly duplicated run after run to be a viable alternative to dyno testing? There's WAY too many variables and i'm talking just the track. That doesn't even consider the driver or the car. Does this mean that Teds testing is worthless? I think rather than looking at pure numbers, it shows which units have good designs. The gains "should" scale as the airflow increases, to a point. I'd like to see exactly what that point is, to use as a reference. How hard would it be to mandrel bend a straight tube to go over the radiator and out the front of the car? No discernable breaks in the tubing and a nice sized velocity stack on the front. This is for testing purposes only of course. You yourself know that a exaggerated velocity stack is beneficial as you were working on a insert a while back. I think every CAI company knows what it takes to make the most efficient intake system. I also think ALL of them compromised on certain things for one reason or another. For me, it came down to who I thought compromised the least while still staying within a price point. As it's been said in just about every CAI thread, we're talking 5-10whp between all of them. Every little consession that's made determines where you are in that difference.

I hear people say that GM has a bunch of smart people that KNOW how to do this or that. I agree that they did a helluva job but that doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon. If they did the perfect job, there'd be no reason for a aftermarket. Removing the accordian section, deleting the silencers, and some extended care taken in making the intake tube would have a gone a long way in making it more efficient. Just because GM chose to use a snorkle into their intake box doesn't mean that's the best design. It just means that was the best place for their intake box design. They don't have the luxury of NOT having to adhere to CARB regulations, like the aftermarket.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)