Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
shines

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Hellion Twin Turbo Kit Review

It has been about a month since I installed the Hellion TT kit on my car and I've worked out the kinks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the kit.

I was switching from a Whipple with headers to the twin turbos, so the installation was not typical and many of their instructions did not apply or needed to be tweaked. This is where Hellion shined, they were always quick to answer the tech support line and had answers for my questions.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnected between Turbonetics and Hellion as some bolts supplied by Hellion didn't fit the holes tapped in the turbo chargers. Not a big deal, a quick trip to Ace hardware and I had what I needed.

When I first started the car it smoked pretty badly, which ultimately turned out to be caused by the high volume oil pump in my Livernois built 419 motor. This was a confusing issue as Turbonetics said not to restrict oil flow to the turbos, while Hellion said restriction was needed. Ultimately I went down to a 0.035" restrictor and the smoking stopped. Hellion designed this kit for a stock Camaro, but they were kind enough to send a new restrictor assembly free of charge to resolve my issues.

The car now runs great and the torque from these twins at the same boost level as my Whipple is MUCH stronger. It's a completely different car to drive and is exactly what I wanted. The turbo power band allows the car to get rolling a bit before the power comes in, so traction is not as much of a problem as it was with the Whipple. Also, the IAT's are much lower than they were with the SC.

The one thing I do not like about the Hellion kit is the location of the intake air filters, so I'm taking the car to Extreme fabrication in Jacksonville FL to have cold air pipes made.

All in all I'm pleased and Hellion is a reliable company I recommend to anyone.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS

Glad you got it all worked out... Thats customer service at its finest... Enjoy that new beast...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
So you installed this yourself? How long did the install take?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
congrats!
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
let me know when you'll be in Jax, I would love to get a peek of your car and perhaps compare it to mine! I too have twins set up like the Helion kit with a stroker engine.....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

Glad you got it all worked out... Thats customer service at its finest... Enjoy that new beast...
Thanks SSE ;-) ... I don't think the super charger guys understand the amount of torque these turbo's create. It is just sick!

Just waiting on my eBoost2 boost controller and I should be good to go!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
So you installed this yourself? How long did the install take?
It took me three days, only because I had to have a new intake pipe fabricated to fit my intake manifold (Edelbrock Victor Jr.) and I sent my exhaust manifolds for ceramic coating.

If your car is stock and you have a lift, it can be done in 10-12 hours. Just time the installation with the Hellion business hours so they're there to answer any questions you might have.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
let me know when you'll be in Jax, I would love to get a peek of your car and perhaps compare it to mine! I too have twins set up like the Helion kit with a stroker engine.....
Actually I live in Ponte Vedra and would love to meet up some time. I have two other buddies that live in McCleaney (one with a turbo Camaro and one with a Ken Bell SC Camaro), we get together out there occasionally on weekends to work on/tune our cars perhaps you could join us some time.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact info.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
tsears

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - L99 - CGM
Lets see some vids!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
Actually I live in Ponte Vedra and would love to meet up some time. I have two other buddies that live in McCleaney (one with a turbo Camaro and one with a Ken Bell SC Camaro), we get together out there occasionally on weekends to work on/tune our cars perhaps you could join us some time.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact info.
Sounds good, I replied to your PM. I also have a buddy with a TT Escalade (installed it because he liked my TT setup) and another with a Jeep Cherokee SRT8 (about to install a Procharger).

We use HP Tuners and are always messing around with the tune and trying things out. I live in JGCC (by Hodges and JTB), close to PV.
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
TurboneticsSL

Drives: Turbocharged
I am glad everything is up and running. Congrats! Videos please!
TurboneticsSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Blkcamaro757

Drives: 2010 camaro RS SS 6speed
Quote:
It has been about a month since I installed the Hellion TT kit on my car and I've worked out the kinks, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the kit.

I was switching from a Whipple with headers to the twin turbos, so the installation was not typical and many of their instructions did not apply or needed to be tweaked. This is where Hellion shined, they were always quick to answer the tech support line and had answers for my questions.

There seemed to be a bit of a disconnected between Turbonetics and Hellion as some bolts supplied by Hellion didn't fit the holes tapped in the turbo chargers. Not a big deal, a quick trip to Ace hardware and I had what I needed.

When I first started the car it smoked pretty badly, which ultimately turned out to be caused by the high volume oil pump in my Livernois built 419 motor. This was a confusing issue as Turbonetics said not to restrict oil flow to the turbos, while Hellion said restriction was needed. Ultimately I went down to a 0.035" restrictor and the smoking stopped. Hellion designed this kit for a stock Camaro, but they were kind enough to send a new restrictor assembly free of charge to resolve my issues.

The car now runs great and the torque from these twins at the same boost level as my Whipple is MUCH stronger. It's a completely different car to drive and is exactly what I wanted. The turbo power band allows the car to get rolling a bit before the power comes in, so traction is not as much of a problem as it was with the Whipple. Also, the IAT's are much lower than they were with the SC.

The one thing I do not like about the Hellion kit is the location of the intake air filters, so I'm taking the car to Extreme fabrication in Jacksonville FL to have cold air pipes made.

Yeah these turbos make alot of torque. Mine made 615hp and 675tq to the wheels on my stock setup with BAP 52lbs injectors.
Blkcamaro757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
realsquash

Drives: Four Door Camaro
Quote:

Could you share the dyno charts with the Whipple and Turbo?

Andy
realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
Is you car faster with the turbos than the were with the whipple? If you did any kind of measurements I'd love to know what you did, how you did it, and what the results were.
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote