Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Am17

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS, Ashen Grey
So someone backed into my car...

I was at a gas station getting ready to park when some guy backed out way too fast without apparently checking his rear mirrors. Lo and behold my driver side door looks as if it's been hulk smashed (alright, it could ALWAYS be worse...). Called the cops, no PR as it was private property but he was able to at least verify most of his information. Now I'm left debating whether I should pressure the insurance company to just cover the price of a new door instead of repairing it. Just bought my car a bit over a month ago after selling my Mustang so I'm kinda bummed out. Feeling kinda unsure of whether a shop could really perfectly match the paint (ashen grey). Any advice? Kinda wish I was driving my 'stang yesterday.
Am17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Dang, sorry to hear that :(

If you are truly worried about repairs, I would try to get a new door. However, I'm not too sure how that works with the insurance comany...

It'll get fixed either way!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
A good repair/paint shop should be able to match paint perfectly...no worries. Even though most shops even guarantee their work I would still try to pressure the insurance company for a new door though. No one wants bondo on a new car.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
Sorry to hear of the accident...those are never fun. I hope everything gets fixed up how you want and you have no further troubles. Good luck!
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
You say you are worried about them repairing the door and matching the paint, so you would rather get a door. But they would have to match the paint anyway. Don't worry about the paint matching they have it it down to a science. As for the repairs, check around and get a good shop and you'll never know the difference.
Good luck.

My2sense
Cheveey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
the insurance company will do whatever is the most cost efficient for them. In most states
they must work with your selected repairer to get an agreed price.
I would not push for a new door- Remember it's only a replacement "shell", so lots
of labor is involved and few techs can reassemble one as good as the factory.
Also, if used correctly, bondo is no longer a dirty word in the industry. It's utilized at the factory.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Am17

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS, Ashen Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
Updated. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks, I don't know. I'm crushed nevertheless because I worked my butt off to buy it. Just recently turned 19 so this was supposed to be a gift for myself
Attached Images

Am17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
I had something very similar happen a few months ago. Had it fixed in 6 days by stingray chevy. Good as new, you would never know.

now back to show shape:
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Sorry to hear about your door, but at least the rear quarter panel isn't damaged....I'm trying to be a little optimistic. I'd push for a new door, and I'm thinking you'll end up with one anyway. I wouldn't worry about the repairs being done properly as long as you can find a competent shop. Maybe someone in your area can recommend one.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
i completely agree, be thankful it did not hit the quarter panel. I work at a body shop and if they dont replace that door.. well id be very shocked. hopfully there is no inner structure damage, a new door, handle and paint and you should be good to go, they may blend the fender,quarter panel just to match paint but its tough to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your door, but at least the rear quarter panel isn't damaged....I'm trying to be a little optimistic. I'd push for a new door, and I'm thinking you'll end up with one anyway. I wouldn't worry about the repairs being done properly as long as you can find a competent shop. Maybe someone in your area can recommend one.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Ouch! Sorry to hear that :(

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
the insurance company will do whatever is the most cost efficient for them. In most states
they must work with your selected repairer to get an agreed price.
I would not push for a new door- Remember it's only a replacement "shell", so lots
of labor is involved and few techs can reassemble one as good as the factory.
Also, if used correctly, bondo is no longer a dirty word in the industry. It's utilized at the factory.
I agreed with myold88 on this, find out what they will do and shop around and don't forget to ask questions and write them down. Sorry to see this happen to you.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
You need an outer door panel and impact bar if both are available.
The door itself will not be repaired, but replaced if additional inner damages are found.
As a long time multi line adjuster I believe you can't complete an accurate estimate from a photo.
Good luck with the insurance company and repairs.