Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
patrickt

Drives: still saving!
How to program your new TPM Tire Pressure Monitor sensors

Alot of times when people get these off of me they have trouble programming them. So hence I am posting this up for all to see. This will work for OEM GM sensors only! (it may work with aftermarket sensors but I do not know for sure)

Here is the short version and I am attaching the full procedure as a PDF

Alternate DIC Relearn Enable Method
  1. Apply park brake (manual transmission only).
  2. Ignition ON, activate the Relearn mode with the driver information center (DIC) display controls. A double horn chirp sounds indicating the Relearn mode has been enabled and the left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
  3. Starting with the left front tire, activate the tire pressure sensor by using one of the following methods:
Hold the antenna of the TPM tool aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

Warning: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.
  1. After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:
4.1. Right front

4.2. Right rear
4.3. Left rear
  1. When the left rear sensor has been learned and a double horn chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete and the BCM exits the Relearn mode.
Ignition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TPMlearn.pdf (183.9 KB, 1089 views)
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
thanks very much Patrick... this information will come in handy when it comes time for new tires and or wheels. I had my tires rotated at a dealership once since I got one of those coupons in the mail for a real cheap oil change and tire rotation on my grand prix I had at the time. A month or so after having it done I noticed one of my tires was showing low on the pressure monitor. I went to the tire indicated to be low and when I actually measured the pressure with my handheld gauge, it was fine. Scratching my head, I went to the other tires around my car until I found the one that was low. When they rotated my tires they neglected to do a relearn. This was at the dealership who you'd figure would know how to do such a thing.

I can now take this document with me whenever I have something done with my tires/wheels. Thanks again
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
fyi its also in the drivers manual.
it is but far to many people never read thiers lol
Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
pbm457

Drives: 2009 Dodge "Cuda", 2010 Camaro
Is there a tool other than a Tech II that can be purchased to reprogram the sensors? thanks for the write up.
pbm457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm457 View Post
Is there a tool other than a Tech II that can be purchased to reprogram the sensors? thanks for the write up.
You don't use one for reprograming the sensors?! I just did it a few minutes ago because my battery was low and disconnected them, you just have to reprogram them using the Driver Information Console (I think that's right?)
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
You don't use one for reprograming the sensors?! I just did it a few minutes ago because my battery was low and disconnected them, you just have to reprogram them using the Driver Information Console (I think that's right?)
All you need to do is use your DIC and follow the procedure by letting air out of each tire, etc.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
pbm457

Drives: 2009 Dodge "Cuda", 2010 Camaro
Thanks! On the Z06 you needed a tool to reset the TPSM's. It's the same procedure, just without the tool.
pbm457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm457 View Post
Thanks! On the Z06 you needed a tool to reset the TPSM's. It's the same procedure, just without the tool.
yes these are GM's latest sensors produced to eliminate the need for the tool
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
patrickt

You can also remove the sensor from the stem to simplify installation if needbe
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
patrickt

save money DIY
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Kunihiro1

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Hold the antenna of the TPM tool aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location.

Ok, I hate to sound stupid,,,,but what is this antenna thing that is mentioned here???? everything else sounds elementary.....

'69 SS Camaro
2SS/RS, CGM, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pfadt Suspension, Airaid intake (Sold)

71 RS Camaro (Sold)
Z Car (Sorry, Nissan 350Z)
Kunihiro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunihiro1 View Post
Hold the antenna of the TPM tool aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location.

Ok, I hate to sound stupid,,,,but what is this antenna thing that is mentioned here???? everything else sounds elementary.....
There is actually 2 procedures here you can either use the tool method or the increase decrease tire pressure method
Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Fubar

Drives: SW 2SS/RS M6
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
thanks