Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
How To Best Get Rid Of That Drop In The Rear When You Step On It?

I love the power i am putting down currently but i hate that the rear end has to drop so much and the front end wants to lift. What are my options? And what supporting mods are going to correct this?

Im sitting on a stock suspension right not with 315's in the rear and 275's up front. I don't want to lower much cause i don't want to rub at all or have to deal with pinning up the emergency break.

What do you recommend? Coilovers? If so, Which brand for a Daily driven care that prbly won't ever see the track.
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Broke Pilot

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE,'68 Chevelle,'70 Vette
Are you drag racing? Or just street driving?
I dunno why'd you'd wanna get rid of the squat, that is where the traction is... In the weight transfer.
If you really want it to quit, your only real option is stiffer springs in the back, which is going to seriously affect ride and handling quality.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
You don't want squat in an IRS car as the camber and toe both change as the body comes down. A good, stiff rear spring will help as long as it doesn't lower the car to the point of not being able to hit proper alignment specs.

The front end lift is a good thing; you do want weight to transfer back, but not to the point where the rear end squats.

Going with coilovers is ultimately the best option. Something double adjustable would be the ultimate setup, but also costly.

If you're on a budget, the cheapest options will be to go with a set of springs that offer the least amount of drop.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Broke Pilot

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE,'68 Chevelle,'70 Vette
Yep.. Shoulda read the last sentence... Lol
Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Gibroni

Drives: '12 IOM LT 'vert
Wasn't this the reason why Chevy put 285's on the 11" rear wheels on the 1LE?
Gibroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Weight transfer occurs during dive or squat and are useful in braking and launch. The speed and amount should be controlled to optimize function. Function varies for street , drag, ac and rc use. We need to know much more about your current setup and your intended use.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Weight transfer occurs during dive or squat and are useful in braking and launch. The speed and amount should be controlled to optimize function. Function varies for street , drag, ac and rc use. We need to know much more about your current setup and your intended use.
This vehicle will not see the strip nor the track but i would like to be able to take it thru the canyons and feel comfortable with the ability of the car to handle the tight corners. Im going to be investing in new BMR sways and all new components to compliment them in addition but im wonder what kind of coilovers can i get away with without dropping to much coin but still providing a great overall product for my kind of application. I doubt id ever be the one to adjust them so ability to adjust is kind of usless cause id be paying a shop to do so each time..
Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk89 View Post
This vehicle will not see the strip nor the track but i would like to be able to take it thru the canyons and feel comfortable with the ability of the car to handle the tight corners. Im going to be investing in new BMR sways and all new components to compliment them in addition but im wonder what kind of coilovers can i get away with without dropping to much coin but still providing a great overall product for my kind of application. I doubt id ever be the one to adjust them so ability to adjust is kind of usless cause id be paying a shop to do so each time..
Sounds to me like you should just consider using a high performance shock/strut replacement.....like the Koni STR.T.!!! They are valved more aggressively than the OEM shocks/struts, so you won't "squat" as much. It will give you the handling performance that you're looking for, are compatible with stock springs or lowering springs, and you don't have to mess with adjustments!!! Plus, they're a LOT less expensive than coilovers!!! We have them in-stock, check our website or PM me for price check.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk89 View Post
Rear wheel HP?
Brakes?
Tires?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Rear wheel HP?
Brakes?
Tires?
Car hasnt been on the dyno YET. Im planning on having it tuned soom thru cunningham so im not sure of the HP.
Brakes are stock other then slotted and dimpled rotors and New pads all around.
Tires are continental DWS 315's in the rear and 275's up front.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Nighthawk89

Im running kooks LT's With their HF's,CAI, Ported TB and SLP's Loudmouth
Old 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Sounds to me like you should just consider using a high performance shock/strut replacement.....like the Koni STR.T.!!! They are valved more aggressively than the OEM shocks/struts, so you won't "squat" as much. It will give you the handling performance that you're looking for, are compatible with stock springs or lowering springs, and you don't have to mess with adjustments!!! Plus, they're a LOT less expensive than coilovers!!! We have them in-stock, check our website or PM me for price check.
shoot me a pm with price
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
I live in Norcal, commute everyday to work on awsome twistys roads. I have a 2013 2SS automatic. The car handled like crap. I too did not want to lower my ride. I spoke to BMR tech dept. They suggested a new front and rear sway bar. They also suggested replacing my trailing arms and toe rods which they sold me.
WOW what a huge difference. The car handles great. I know that squat feeling your talking about. My car does not squat now. I too will never take it to the track and race it. I just drive it very very hard on the back roads, my commute.
I would hold off on buying the struts and springs. Put in the BMR sways and trailing arms and toe rods take it for a beat on the back roads. I think you will have a huge smile on your face.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
I live in Norcal, commute everyday to work on awsome twistys roads. I have a 2013 2SS automatic. The car handled like crap. I too did not want to lower my ride. I spoke to BMR tech dept. They suggested a new front and rear sway bar. They also suggested replacing my trailing arms and toe rods which they sold me.
WOW what a huge difference. The car handles great. I know that squat feeling your talking about. My car does not squat now. I too will never take it to the track and race it. I just drive it very very hard on the back roads, my commute.
I would hold off on buying the struts and springs. Put in the BMR sways and trailing arms and toe rods take it for a beat on the back roads. I think you will have a huge smile on your face.
Awesome feedback dude! How much did you spend on the install for the parts or did you do them yourself?