Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Enginner View Post
Someone's drunk... or high IMO!
i love them both but not behind 433 hp, and with a badge in my pocket friend.lol
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I reset my meter after filling it up, and was running 6th gear at 45mph - 50mph, and I got it saying 99mpg.

I did managed to get 25mpg overall in the city on that trip, and kept it at 22mpg for the next week by never going over 2000 RPMS and getting it into 4th gear as soon as possible.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
From what I understand of these counters that are built in, basically the computer algorithm that figures these numbers out is simply not effective when used like this. In other words, the smaller the set of data (time used) the greater the error %. If you let those things go for longer they should slowly adjust into realistic numbers, and that is their intent. If you use only small sets of data to generate the MPG rating (i.e. resetting it too much) the data will of course skew in one direction or another until enough data is present to make it a valid calculation.

I hope that was clear enough, i always have trouble relating highly technical things, but computers and programming are what I do.
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
is it possible to only drive down hill? that is the only thing I can think off to explain this, heck my V6 doesn't get half that good MPG

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swytch View Post
From what I understand of these counters that are built in, basically the computer algorithm that figures these numbers out is simply not effective when used like this. In other words, the smaller the set of data (time used) the greater the error %. If you let those things go for longer they should slowly adjust into realistic numbers, and that is their intent. If you use only small sets of data to generate the MPG rating (i.e. resetting it too much) the data will of course skew in one direction or another until enough data is present to make it a valid calculation.

I hope that was clear enough, i always have trouble relating highly technical things, but computers and programming are what I do.

I have posted in the past that I can get 29 + MPG when traveling to work and resetting everything on the computer as I get on the highway. I set the cruise at 70 MPH and travel exactly 25 miles. I feel the computer is very accurate when doing this type of mileage checking. I am now convinced of this since I just traveled 322 miles almost all highway. I Filled the tank and got on the highway within half a mile. I traveled to the other side of the State and back for a graduation party. Set the cruise at 70 MPH. The last 10 miles were not on the highway.

I did a little hot rodding when I got there to show my Camaro to my relatives. Total MPG was 29.3 Took only 11 gallons for the trip. So is the computer accurate. It is in my book.

Does the V6 Camaro get GREAT mileage? You bet it does.

Way to go GM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #20
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Fill up your tank, reset your trip milage guage, drive the car until you use up most of that tank of gas, refill the tank and devide the miles on your trip guage by the gallons of gas it took to fill the tank back up.

Thats the only way to figure accurate gas milage that I know of.

Hell, I can take my 600 HP/1000 ft/lb '04 Duramax at 80 mph and let off the throttle and check the instant milage gauge and it will read 99 mpg......

Not sure what everyone else is getting but I am averaging around 22 mpg with 50-50 city, highway driving.
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #21
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
That is the funniest thing I have read in a very long time. I want what that guy is drinking!
Detroit Speed springs and Sway bars, MGW short shifter, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR bushings, Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow exhaust, MTX factory sub, painted stripes, blacked out, recessed tail lights, Pedders sub frame bushings, more on the way
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
...and this 6.2 l gets me over 225 easy with 15 gallons...amazing
I'm not questioning anything I'm just stating a fact. You are hitting the button at speed and figuring that's what mileage you're getting and it doesn't work that way.
225 miles at 15 gallons is 15 miles to the gallon.

It still is kicking the dodge in the teeth in comparison, though.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #23
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I reset everything on our trip home from the dealer. 972 miles later, the average fuel economy was exactly 25 mpg. Mostly highway, but we did venture off a couple of times searching for a hotel and eats. Not bad for brand spanking new IMO. I haven't checked it lately because, well, I don't care.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Regardless of what the computer says just take the mile and divide by the gas for true mpg (but we know you already know that)

Instantaneous/"reset" mpg can vary wildly. When Cadillacs first came out with the mpg computer years ago we used to play with it all the time. It is a fun toy no doubt.

Glad you are enjoying your car(s).