Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
My Solo Mach X to Corsa Review Read On!

Id like to touch on key items here for everyone. We had the Solo on our car since delivery and it sounded and looked awesome.

Only complaint I had was highway drone and it was getting annoying. Some say it doesn't but ours did no matter what we tried. Nothing bad but we are doing a very expensive sound system and we needed to reduce the DB inside the car to make the audio worth our time.

We got the Corsa on today and already there are fitment issues. I honestly think Corsa could have designed this system a bit better and here's how.

1. Tips should be larger 4.5 like the Solo tips. I already hate the Corsa tip.
2. The rear mufflers could have been made smaller to accommodate better tips and fit better. Muffler hangers are hitting my diffuser on the inside causing lots of noise. We tried everything to fix this and will work more in the AM to correct it. I also am getting a banging sound over bumps from the middle of the car so I have to see if its smacking my Hotchkiss brace.
3. Corsa should have made the center section all one piece to connect to the front of the car instead they give you two 80 degree elbows which makes no sense because the install was a breeze whichever way you go.

Sound the Solo sounds 100000% meaner and better in city driving.
Sound on the freeway was just too much for my ears. At 2-4RPM it was LOUD in high gear.

Sound for the Corsa is decent in the city but not enough balls as the Solo. Corsa almost sound like as 3-5 db louder stock system. I honestly was expecting more because the SRT8 systems we installed had a much better sound.

On the highway the Corsa is more relaxed and there is no drone so for what we needed it works.

Am I happy with the Corsa so far? Well not 100%. I hate the tips and if I cant get the fitment better this is going back to Corsa for a refund.

I will say the Solo is by far the best sounding and easiest fitting Cat Back we have heard and this is just our personal opinion so no flames guys. We have installed a few Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster kits and they were louder and more expensive so I think everyone should consider the Solo as their top pick.

If anyone cares about phone calls and audio on long road trips then get the Corsa or leave your stock system on and change the tips. Plain and simple. I know there is a lot on the market but honestly make your choice wisely and try to listen to as many as you can in person or visit a good performance shop in your area that works on 5th gen upgrades.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
CARiD

Drives: Camaro 2010 SS/RS
I agree 100% with the banging on the Corsa system, whenever I hit a bump its either the muffler hitting the inner portion of the rear diffuser or the tunnel brace and I can't figure it out. The system is amazing at WOT. I don't mind the 4 inch tips, but this banging sound issue is killing me. I have done about everything recommended I lifted the XO Pipe and added the spacers to the tunnel brace, but still get banging.
CARiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
DeMaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
55D thanks for the review. I like Corsa and have had more than a few Corsa systems over the years. You are correct there are some good choices out there for these cars. It is all about the choices and what works for you.

I am sorry I missed your Solo set up you had for sale and it is at the top of my list as I would like to try something different this time.

Let me know how you like the CTS-V and what mods you are gonna do.

DC

"When parts exceed the whole.....you have Mod Fever!"
DeMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
LS3 or L99?
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
55Designs

LS3 guys.

Ok just took it down from the lift. I brought it down the road to the muffler shop because I knew something had to be modified.

We had to bend the middle section pipes a bunch to get clearance. We also had to flare deeper the muffler on the passenger side and we had to grind down the welded rod on the edge of each muffler to clear the diffuser.

So far the banging is gone but all this extra work on the install is BS and when I get time Corsa will be getting a phone call regarding this. I wasn't able to snap much in terms of photos since I dropped my Blackberry on the shop floor and it crapped out.

System sounds good and like I stated on the highways its much smoother. The car almost feels snappier too now. I still hate the tips. I will be a nice mission to cleanly cut the Corsa tips off and machine new ones down to fit snug. I will save that for another time when things slow down.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
JMROD

Drives: 2SS RS ABM "Bumbleblue"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
LS3 guys.

Ok just took it down from the lift. I brought it down the road to the muffler shop because I knew something had to be modified.

We had to bend the middle section pipes a bunch to get clearance. We also had to flare deeper the muffler on the passenger side and we had to grind down the welded rod on the edge of each muffler to clear the diffuser.

So far the banging is gone but all this extra work on the install is BS and when I get time Corsa will be getting a phone call regarding this. I wasn't able to snap much in terms of photos since I dropped my Blackberry on the shop floor and it crapped out.

System sounds good and like I stated on the highways its much smoother. The car almost feels snappier too now. I still hate the tips. I will be a nice mission to cleanly cut the Corsa tips off and machine new ones down to fit snug. I will save that for another time when things slow down.
Not sure why you are having issues with banging. I installed Corsa in my garage with ramps and jack stands on my LS3 and have had no issues with banging (yet? ). Only thng I did, that I think was suggested in the directions, was lift the center section up towards the car as I torqued the clamps, work from the front of the car to the rear.

I did not have any issues with muffler/tip and rear diffuser clearances at all.

JMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I don't know if you guys have L99's or not but my Corsa fit my LS3 like a glove fit and finish were superb, no banging, clanking, or drone. I think the tips look great. Much better than the stock. Sound is more of a personal item but I love the Corsa. Loud when you stomp on it quiet when you don't. I think you need to loosen your clamps and adjust it better. Check your clearances and I'm sure you should be able to fix it..

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
thanks for the info.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROD View Post
Not sure why you are having issues with banging. I installed Corsa in my garage with ramps and jack stands on my LS3 and have had no issues with banging (yet? ). Only thng I did, that I think was suggested in the directions, was lift the center section up towards the car as I torqued the clamps, work from the front of the car to the rear.

I did not have any issues with muffler/tip and rear diffuser clearances at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I don't know if you guys have L99's or not but my Corsa fit my LS3 like a glove fit and finish were superb, no banging, clanking, or drone. I think the tips look great. Much better than the stock. Sound is more of a personal item but I love the Corsa. Loud when you stomp on it quiet when you don't. I think you need to loosen your clamps and adjust it better. Check your clearances and I'm sure you should be able to fix it..

Same here. Installed a LS3 Corsa in my L99 (AFM off) myself with no fitment issues whatsoever. It went in perfect. No banging or contact with anything.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Gnarlygianni

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS
How loud is the Solo Mach X Catback for the ls3.. louder than the S type by borla but not as loud as the magnaflow axel back with the 5 inch tips ?
Gnarlygianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
My wife hears the car now with the corsa, she never heard it stock so it is louder.
As far as fitment, OMG it fits like a glove, no clearance issues anywhere!! And I did the install on my back under 4 jack stands.
LS3
=bobby
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
quote "I will say the Solo is by far the best sounding and easiest fitting Cat Back "

I agree.

Easiest to install too.
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
55Designs

Guys many of your cars might be stock in terms of suspension but ours is set up for track use and its so freaking tight and bumpy on the street which is why the system must need tweaking. You hear and feel everything is our car.

I think the system we got was a bad one on the jig because it just needed too much work to make it fit right.

But honestly after using all the other stuff Corsa could have made the rear mufflers smaller and given them more clearance to the underbody spare tire well area.

I installed a 20+ systems in the last 2 months and several Corsa on the SRT8 cars and none of them gave us issues. The Solo and all others fit perfect first time around.

Just wanted to let some guys know if anyone else comes across these issues as to what you need to do.

I am now 100% sure the car is Much Faster with the Corsa than the Solo. Its just from the feel alone. LS3 must need some back pressure.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
55Designs

If I get time Friday I will post photos showing the clearance issues I had and how the muffler hanger starter to melt my diffuser.

If I have time, My 2010 CTSV is being dropped off in the AM and I am taking Friday off work!!!!.