Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Anyone ever hear of New World gas ?

We just had a new gas/mini mart open in my area. The gas is New World gas. The prices are low compared to surrounding Sunoco and Shell stations: $3.49/gal for 87 if you pay cash and $3.59/gal for credit. I believe the 93 octane was around $3.81...

I never heard of New World gas and don't want to put inferior fuel in my car. Has anyone heard of them ?

Thanks,

Bob
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySS2011 View Post
We just had a new gas/mini mart open in my area. The gas is New World gas. The prices are low compared to surrounding Sunoco and Shell stations: $3.49/gal for 87 if you pay cash and $3.59/gal for credit. I believe the 93 octane was around $3.81...

I never heard of New World gas and don't want to put inferior fuel in my car. Has anyone heard of them ?

Thanks,

Bob
Its all the same $hit...go for it!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
DaFisch
Master Amateur Mechanic

Drives: Victory Red 2011 2SS/RS
Different companies put different things into their gas.. I would do research about it first.
DaFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
New market / gas station , they need to be lower than the competition in order to bring people in

Gas is a highly goverment controlled and complex production / regulations etc
Most of the gas come from the very same refinery , and as it leaves the fuel depot , differents brands add differents additives , that's all there is to it
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
1sicss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
just hope their not affiliated to the new world order
Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Maybe they are getting gas from the new world?
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
If it does not say "top-Tier" gas then you dont know what you are getting . That is why GM recommends it .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Its all the same $hit...go for it!
so wrong . do some research, I did and learned a lot
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
Different companies put different things into their gas.. I would do research about it first.

yea, about 5 gallons per 10k gallon tanker trunk. it's all the same
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
If it does not say "top-Tier" gas then you dont know what you are getting . That is why GM recommends it .

yes you do. you know you are getting gas that is 99.99999999% the same as the gas at every other station in your area. every retail outlet in your area is buying their gas from one of only a couple distributors. drive buy the nearest wholesale distributor and you'll see trucks from every retailer there filling up.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
yes you do. you know you are getting gas that is 99.99999999% the same as the gas at every other station in your area. every retail outlet in your area is buying their gas from one of only a couple distributors. drive buy the nearest wholesale distributor and you'll see trucks from every retailer there filling up.
Well i live in Louisiana, where alot of oil comes from (the gulf). And we have refineries galore down here. All owned by different companies, Citgo, ExxonMobil, Conoco, Valero, Shell, etc.

Each one of those companies refines their own crude oil into their own gasoline, then adds their own additives, and sells it at their own gas stations.

Im not saying the fuels are very different but they dont all come from one or two refineries and change the name. Shell may have a more stringent refining process with more regulations or standards, than the conoco one for example.

Its my impression that the big gas stations refine their own, where the no name ones like "Discount Zone" or "Race Trac" just take what they can get from anywhere that will give it.

I personally believe that you cant go wrong with any of the bigger names like Shell, Exxon, etc.

Edit: After reading an article done by a chemist, it reinforces some of my points and answers some of the ones im unsure on: http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

Though they all refine and make their own fuel, besides the no name brand places, exxon may borrow base gasoline from shell to save on shipping, etc. Exxon still adds their own additives though.

This means that the different top tier refineries probably have the same standards for base gasoline (so they can trade), then do their own additives. That article is a great read.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicss View Post
just hope their not affiliated to the new world order
With that thought...I'd be cautious
Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
New market / gas station , they need to be lower than the competition in order to bring people in
^^^ This was my first thought ^^^

Never heard of it. Sounds like a OPEC plot to me.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Well i live in Louisiana, where alot of oil comes from (the gulf). And we have refineries galore down here. All owned by different companies, Citgo, ExxonMobil, Conoco, Valero, Shell, etc.

Each one of those companies refines their own crude oil into their own gasoline, then adds their own additives, and sells it at their own gas stations.

Im not saying the fuels are very different but they dont all come from one or two refineries and change the name. Shell may have a more stringent refining process with more regulations or standards, than the conoco one for example.

Its my impression that the big gas stations refine their own, where the no name ones like "Discount Zone" or "Race Trac" just take what they can get from anywhere that will give it.

I personally believe that you cant go wrong with any of the bigger names like Shell, Exxon, etc.

Edit: After reading an article done by a chemist, it reinforces some of my points and answers some of the ones im unsure on: http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

Though they all refine and make their own fuel, besides the no name brand places, exxon may borrow base gasoline from shell to save on shipping, etc. Exxon still adds their own additives though.

This means that the different top tier refineries probably have the same standards for base gasoline (so they can trade), then do their own additives. That article is a great read.

first off all, the crude oil is bought and sold on the global market. Texas oil could be heading for toykyo, while oil from sadi arabia may be what exxon is refining in texas.

second, the gas that is refined is sold to wholesalers. it does not go from the refinery to the gas station. most of the time, it is delivered to the wholesaler through pipelines, not trucks.

thirdly, the pipeline network is shared, and gas from many refineries will travel through those same pipes. it would impossible to separate it.

fourth, all gas has to meet very stringent standards set forth by the government. that more than anything keeps it all about the same.

and lastly, it's at the distributors that the tiny amount of additives are put in the gas.

a retail gas station is privately owned. at least the shell's, Exxon's and so forth. the large chains like walmart, sheets, and so forth of course aren't. but the private retailers can purchase gas from wherever they want.

this pretty much explains how it works
http://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/i...gasoline_where

Last edited by jd10013; 09-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.