Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
The (real) pedals are set. (don't know about the dead pedal though) This came up at Indy because there was a complaint about being able to heel/toe in the car. Al Oppenheiser said that there wasn't much they could do about it because of the locations of other components on/near the firewall pretty much determined where the pedals would be.
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro View Post
The (real) pedals are set. (don't know about the dead pedal though) This came up at Indy because there was a complaint about being able to heel/toe in the car. Al Oppenheiser said that there wasn't much they could do about it because of the locations of other components on/near the firewall pretty much determined where the pedals would be.

But they could easily forge the angle of the metal brackets that the pedals attach to differently to pretty much any location, making that a poor and unacceptable excuse.

Look at a BMW..... the pedals are aligned and spaced perfectly for optimum heel and toe action, and yet the angles of the brackets go in crazy directions to go around the steering shaft and other components.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Look at a BMW.....
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #18
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

What? Don't you think it's fair to have such expectations for the Camaro? I think the details are where GM can really, REALLY win over import owners and import buyers. That includes proper spacing of the pedals and a true dead pedal....... DETAILS. So far I've been impressed overall with the Camaro, but these details and hearing such excuses from the engineers that "we couldn't space them closer due to the components and other blah blah blah" just irks me a bit. They could just redesign the pedal brackets at different angles to space them better, and it would cost all of about 2 cents to do so.

I'm not asking for the car to have 500 hp and cost $20k like some people initially did. I am asking for realistic attention to details that won't break the bank, but require just a smidge more work and study.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #19
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Look at a BMW.....

Why?

heeeh hee

just playing...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
What? Don't you think it's fair to have such expectations for the Camaro? I think the details are where GM can really, REALLY win over import owners and import buyers. That includes proper spacing of the pedals and a true dead pedal....... DETAILS. So far I've been impressed overall with the Camaro, but these details and hearing such excuses from the engineers that "we couldn't space them closer due to the components and other blah blah blah" just irks me a bit. They could just redesign the pedal brackets at different angles to space them better, and it would cost all of about 2 cents to do so.

I'm not asking for the car to have 500 hp and cost $20k like some people initially did. I am asking for realistic attention to details that won't break the bank, but require just a smidge more work and study.
Yes, I absolutely think it's fair to have realistic yet high expectations for the Camaro. However, I also think it's fair to acknowledge that the engineers and designers who worked on this car actually DO know what they're doing. Because...they do. And they also care about what they're doing -- remember, many (if not all) of them are enthusiasts, too. That's one of the realizations I came back from Indy with -- these guys are just like us, but they were lucky enough to get to build the car.

I apologize, but I just get the rolling-eyes-syndrome whenever I hear someone call one of the team's responses an "excuse" as though they were lazy or whatnot, and then read alternate solutions as though the engineers hadn't already thought about it....and then the "BMW" statement put me over the edge a little...$40,000 "slow" bimmer v. stupid-fast $30,000 Camaro, ya' know?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #21
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I apologize, but I just get the rolling-eyes-syndrome whenever I hear someone call one of the team's responses an "excuse" as though they were lazy or whatnot, and then read alternate solutions as though the engineers hadn't already thought about it....and then the "BMW" statement put me over the edge a little...$40,000 "slow" bimmer v. stupid-fast $30,000 Camaro, ya' know?
Okay, how about $30k fast Honda S2000 v. stupid-fast $30k Camaro......

All of a sudden, there's not much room to argue with that.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham

You missed my point.