Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
On3-K

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Help

I have a question about my car. I just recently detailed my car and a few days to a week after it looks really dirty and just want to know if it will affect my car if I do not wash for another week or so. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Attached Images

On3-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Kiss My SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by On3-K View Post
I have a question about my car. I just recently detailed my car and a few days to a week after it looks really dirty and just want to know if it will affect my car if I do not wash for another week or so. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Damn dude what do you do go 4wheelin in that Camaro?
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
holy shit batman, I'm not sure that is considered dirty so much as filthy

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

But to answer your question, with that much dirt on your car,

1) Absolutely, the earlier you wash your car the better!
2) Do you use some type of wax? Please please say you do...

And in a followup to 2, do you know if your wax is silicone based? Silicone, while good protection, attracts dust. Switching to another kind of protection that doesn't utilize silicone might help your situation out a bit

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
On3-K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
But to answer your question, with that much dirt on your car,

1) Absolutely, the earlier you wash your car the better!
2) Do you use some type of wax? Please please say you do...

And in a followup to 2, do you know if your wax is silicone based? Silicone, while good protection, attracts dust. Switching to another kind of protection that doesn't utilize silicone might help your situation out a bit
Yes I do wax. I am using Adams products, Buttery Wax to be exact. I detailed the car last weekend and have not really drove it since and thats what it looks like. What other products would you suggest. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On3-K View Post
Yes I do wax. I am using Adams products, Buttery Wax to be exact. I detailed the car last weekend and have not really drove it since and thats what it looks like. What other products would you suggest. Thanks for the advice.
I think that's a solid wax. If you want to stick to Adam's, you could add 1-2 coats americana paste wax. Or if you want to move away from Adam's, you could try something like: paint and then 1-2 coats of Blackfire wet diamond sealant and then 2 coats blackfire midnight sun paste wax (or any high quality wax even your buttery wax).

Honestly, I would try waterless washes (Adam's or others). It really takes only about 30 minutes and it it's really easy to do.

Or what I used to do sometimes (and this only works if you have a good wax/sealant on your car) is pressure wash the car and get 95% of the dirt off. Sheet water with a hose, and then dry. It's not 100% recommended (it can be swirl inducing), but anything is better than your situation at this point.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Good_Times

Drives: red
My thought has always been its better to leave a car dirty then to wash it incorrectly. So it you don't have time to do it properly then wait until you do. A fast tunnel wash or quick home wash done incorrectly will instill more defects then leaving it dirty but unmolested.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Times View Post
My thought has always been its better to leave a car dirty then to wash it incorrectly. So it you don't have time to do it properly then wait until you do. A fast tunnel wash or quick home wash done incorrectly will instill more defects then leaving it dirty but unmolested.
That's true but certain things will eat into the paint over time. I would take a swirled out car anyday over a car with bird poop on it for 3 weeks.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Good_Times

Thats why I said a dirty car. Bird bombs need to be wiped off ASAP even off a clean car.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Thats why I said a dirty car. Bird bombs need to be wiped off ASAP even off a clean car.
Even dirt can embed itself into vinyl and rubber and sometimes be impossible to take out. And dirt itself can scratch paint if the car gets rained on.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Good_Times

The OP asked about leaving his car dirty for a few weeks.Not for months or years on end. Vinyl and rubber trim that has been properly treated will suffer little from remaining dirty for a short period of time.Light dirt on a properly waxed or protected car will not acquire major paint defects in the rain compared to a improper wash. The largest contributor to paint defects is the improper wash and people dragging a microfiber across the surface to dust it off. I'm as OCD when it comes to detailing as most but a little common sense goes a long way. I have clients all the time that I have had to instruct that if you can't do a proper wash please leave it alone until I can service it. right now my work truck needs a wash ans it has been OC'ed but it will remain in need until this weekend when I have the time to do it properly. It has my detailing company logo on it but I won't compromise for a quick fix.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
^^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
That's true but certain things will eat into the paint over time. I would take a swirled out car anyday over a car with bird poop on it for 3 weeks.
Certain things, yes. But not dust that has been rained on (which is what this looks like). Much, much, much better off to wait and do a good, careful wash than to rush anything with that.

ihaveacamaro is right about bird bombs, and also things like bug guts, but with dirt, you have nothing to worry about over a week or two.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
On3-K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
^^This

Certain things, yes. But not dust that has been rained on (which is what this looks like). Much, much, much better off to wait and do a good, careful wash than to rush anything with that.

ihaveacamaro is right about bird bombs, and also things like bug guts, but with dirt, you have nothing to worry about over a week or two.
Thanks for all the replies guys and great information. I went ahead and took the time to wash the car now, I could not stand to look at it like that. I hope it does not turn into an every other day thing tho.
Attached Images

Tags
camaro, detailing, dirt