Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Pulling in my driveway last night in my new 1LE and heard an awful scraping noise. It sounded more metallic that plastic that was scraping. I looked under the front and saw the plastic air dam that sits back from the front with some scrapes. Didn't check the exhaust brackets. Glad I read this. I'll check those tonight when I get home.

So is it better to pull in at a sharp angle or as straight as possible on to the driveway to prevent scraping? When I pulled out of the driveway going out nose first (forward), I did not scrape at all. I am thinking maybe I should try backing in. Thoughts?
I pull in at an angle, maybe 45 degrees. When I first got the car, I also heard a horrible grinding noise and couldn't find any signs of scraping anywhere. So I experimented and inched in having a buddy look for ground contact... close, but nothing. Then I noticed the TCS would light up. It happens more often when it's colder too so it seems one of the rear tires is unloading enough to trip the TCS. So, don't be suprised if you still hear a horrible noise and keep an eye on the dash for that TCS light.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I pull in at an angle, maybe 45 degrees. When I first got the car, I also heard a horrible grinding noise and couldn't find any signs of scraping anywhere. So I experimented and inched in having a buddy look for ground contact... close, but nothing. Then I noticed the TCS would light up. It happens more often when it's colder too so it seems one of the rear tires is unloading enough to trip the TCS. So, don't be suprised if you still hear a horrible noise and keep an eye on the dash for that TCS light.
I also heard a horrible grinding noise. Looked under the car today and the only place that it could have been is the inside plastic piece under the front (splitter ? ). Didn't see any other areas that showed scraping. TCS is the traction control system I assume? Have you tried to turn the TCS off before entering the driveway? Would be interesting to know if turning it off prevented the noise.

Last edited by domano 68; 03-05-2014 at 10:29 PM.
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #17
tmcclint

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
When I back out of my driveway, I cut the tires so only one tire goes down the incline at a time. That seems to stop the scraping of the air dam for me. Now when I pull in, I come in at an angle and I never scrape it but then my drive way is at an angle to street (we live in a cul de sac). So far I've been very careful where I drive it because of the reduced approach angle. When I drive my son to school (up a pretty steep hill) I go the long way which is a much more gradual incline. Leaving the school I have to leave it at an angle so I don't catch the air dam. It's a pain to have to worry about but I don't regret the car, just not having a set of all season tires right now. She hasn't seen the road in over a month :-(
Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #18
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
So you are scraping but just going extremely slow in those situations?
I cut extreme angles on driveways and speed bumps. Rarely scrape but, usually if I do scrape it's the underside of the splitter (very light) as mentioned by severl others. My exhaust has scraped while running a fresh amber light once or twice
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Ditto - I cut an angle in and out of my driveway to avoid scrapes, and just go slow over speed bumps. So far so good. The splitter adds to the character of the car. I can't see running without it personally, but different people have different circumstances. I'd rather have the 1LE and remove the front splitter than not have the 1LE at all.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, clearance