Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What should be done with speed limits?
No speed limits anywhere 12 13.04%
F class liscense for capable drivers in capable cars to not obey limits 47 51.09%
Lots of speed limits like currently(I like driving slow) 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Speed Limit

Seeing as that are camaros are all on there way there is an important problem to address. Its the called speed limit. Having owned a gto I know that even driving briskly, It has so much torque that most speed limits are broken momentarily. Speed limits are useless I don't care how much hate ppl will give me. Anyway, for people that have the right car and right experience we need a license class that allows them to violate speed limits. WIth a certain driving test and a certified car anyone will be able to recieve a liscence of this class... f class for fast!!!!

Who digs it. THen ppl with capable cars and capable minds can get places faster...
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
just because you can drive capably that fast, doesnt mean the jackass that runs the red light and rolls right in front of you can.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
just because you can drive capably that fast, doesnt mean the jackass that runs the red light and rolls right in front of you can.
I know. THat's why I proposed a strict licensing process... the F class license so that ppl who are capable can take difficult tests and have their Fclass vehicle certified as safe to drive over the speed limit!!! I know some ppl aren't capable of driving fast... alot of ppl aren't capable of driving the speed limit safely or well for that matter. Why should mario andretti in an f1(assuming they were street legal) car have to drive 45 when he is probably less dangerous doing 145 than the soccer mom doing 40? We need a speed limit that at least takes into accounts our differences. Not one uniform one that doesn't make sense for many of us.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Americans are not ready for no speed limits or F class, as much as I or you or anyone else on this forum might be.

Besides the nightmare of getting our streets and highways up to 21st century standards (the Autobahn is maintained to such an incredibly high standard that every inch is inspected every year, and if there is so much as a crack forming they replace an entire section of the road in question immediately, and the road is twice as thick as our highway system to begin with), the USA would also have to revamp how people maintain their cars.

Most European countries require a full vehicle inspection every year to get your tags renewed. Now, we're not talking some EPA emissions test......

Your tires must have proper tread, all 4 must be matched for the car, and all 4 must be ballanced and your alignment be within spec.

The engine must be tuned up, no check engine codes, and all the accessories working along with the belts be in good condition

Brakes must be in proper order (pad life, rotor/drum thickness, master cylinder/fluid/brake lines are also inpsected)

No cracks on any window

No rust through or corrosion

The exhaust system must not be rotted/noisy

The transmission must opperate properly

All the safety equipment must be in proper order

And there must not be any modifications made to it not approved

In other words, the junkers you see here in the States are not even road legal in most European countries. That's part of creating a safe environment for high speed driving. It has been proven that accidents on the Autobahn have a lower rate than here in the States, but the entire country takes high speed driving very seriously, and are willing to pay for the infrastructure required to make it safe to do so.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
i voted in favor of it but I would say only allow it on the highways. but how would the cops know who had the license and who didn't?
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
The Boat
His seafaringness

I didn't say give everyone an f liscense. F license would only be valid if you drive a car certified to drive that fast. Not everyone would have one either.... only ppl who can actually drive and aren't morons.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
The Boat
His seafaringness

It would say you have an f liscence on your plates, or be a sticker etc... and on your license
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat View Post
I didn't say give everyone an f liscense. F license would only be valid if you drive a car certified to drive that fast. Not everyone would have one either.... only ppl who can actually drive and aren't morons.

Right, I understand what you mean.....

What I'm saying is if you're driving your Camaro at 130 safely, properly, and completely attune to your surroundings, what are you going to do when that bloke in that '84 Ciera with a bouncy rear end and bald tires gets into your lane at 50 mph without seeing you because his side view mirror is hanging off on the side of the door?

I am in total agreement with what you would like to see..... it quite honestly scares the crap out of me, not me and my driving abilities, but the driving abilities and the conditions of many cars out on the road.

Some people have no driving skill AND have complete junkers that should be scrapped, yet they're still driving and driving that heap. THAT's what you have to worry about.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam2fst4u View Post
i voted in favor of it but I would say only allow it on the highways. but how would the cops know who had the license and who didn't?
i like that idea
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
19K3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
My question is, despite what one driver thinks he's capable of, and assuming he then passes a test, isn't he still human, and has a day where maybe he's not quite as quick on his reaction time and then plows into a kid chasing a ball into the street in what used to be a 25mph neighborhood zone now going 145mph? The options you give are a bit childish, to give the option to keep speed limits meaning "I like to drive slow". Yes, I would like to see our country develop an Autobahn-type road at some point. But to say "no speed limits ANYWHERE" is a bit of a stretch.
19K3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I believe there should be or could be a different limit for cars capable of attaining an increased speed and the completion of a comprehensive course..

Where you will have a problem is liability.

OK, you have a fast car and a fast car speed limit license. You kill or severely injure someone due to speed and the state can be held negligent.

Nice thought though...I liked what they did in Montana..unlimited speed is specific areas..
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
How old are you OP?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K3SS View Post
My question is, despite what one driver thinks he's capable of, and assuming he then passes a test, isn't he still human, and has a day where maybe he's not quite as quick on his reaction time and then plows into a kid chasing a ball into the street in what used to be a 25mph neighborhood zone now going 145mph? The options you give are a bit childish, to give the option to keep speed limits meaning "I like to drive slow". Yes, I would like to see our country develop an Autobahn-type road at some point. But to say "no speed limits ANYWHERE" is a bit of a stretch.
Hey how about this.... Its called liability. Accidents like that happen where kids are killed by cars going 24 mph in a 25 zone. When they do that they are liable to pay damages and face the penalties. The same would be true when they could potentially go 145. If they hit the kid they are gonna be screwed for the rest of their life so having liability creates incentives for people to use their judgement. A 145 mph zone would kick ass though... as long as its not in a neighbor hood. If its on a regular street and kids run out to get hit, its just bad parenting and they probably would have died in a 50 mph area too.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Right, I understand what you mean.....

What I'm saying is if you're driving your Camaro at 130 safely, properly, and completely attune to your surroundings, what are you going to do when that bloke in that '84 Ciera with a bouncy rear end and bald tires gets into your lane at 50 mph without seeing you because his side view mirror is hanging off on the side of the door?

I am in total agreement with what you would like to see..... it quite honestly scares the crap out of me, not me and my driving abilities, but the driving abilities and the conditions of many cars out on the road.

Some people have no driving skill AND have complete junkers that should be scrapped, yet they're still driving and driving that heap. THAT's what you have to worry about.

Pass stricter standards for cars to have mirrors. If your lights don't work the cops pull you over.... do the same with mirrors.