Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
ronvenna21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Unhappy Someone stabbed my pzero :(

Well im a college student and go to UC Irvine, so i dont have a problem with my car sticking out too much because everyone in Irvine has really nice cars, but this summer i was home in Manteca, CA wich is a different story. Everyone seemed to be eyeing the car, and a lot would come up to me and talk about it. Wich was awesome, it was the first time it got this much attention. However i knew this could be a problem. Seeing a 19 year old kid driving around in a red Camaro with white stripes obviously can bring some jelousy to people. Sure enough i started noticing my back right tire on my car was reading abnormally low air pressure so I go into the less schwab and the guy shows me what happend. Someone clearly took a knife and stabbed into the tire.

My heart dropped and it dropped even further when he told me we have to replace the tire. He also told me to it was best if i replaced both rear tires because of some height difference or something, he was talking really technical, and the place didnt have pzeros they only had hankook ventus st 275/40 r20. After deliberation and understanding that there was nothing else i can do, i bought two of the hankooks. Immedietly i noticed that the car lagged a little bit in acceleration and felt a little weird when turning. Is this dude to the rear tires not being broken in? or is it because these hankooks are far less superior than the pzeros? the guy said these were really good tires so i dont know whats up with that issue. And what do you guys do in order to avoid people doing shit like this to your cars? I feel like not driving my car until i go back to irvine now just to avoid any further damage from stupid people. Anyway that was my story/rant/depressingness :(
ronvenna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Prospective Buyer

Drives: Acura TL Acura MDX
EDIT_ My post is full of inaccurate information, ignore

I'd stop driving your car. Last I heard brand switching on tires aka two or more on at once creates different treads/wear patterns on your drivetrain.
So I suggest returning the wheels if possible and find your original brand

Last edited by Prospective Buyer; 09-03-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Prospective Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
ronvenna21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospective Buyer View Post
I'd stop driving your car. Last I heard brand switching on tires aka two or more on at once creates different treads/wear patterns on your drivetrain.
hmm i dont understand, having a different brand on the rear than the front can be bad for the drivetrain?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
y0diggity
Camaro Overlord

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospective Buyer View Post
I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this one. Seriously.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronvenna21 View Post
hmm i dont understand, having a different brand on the rear than the front can be bad for the drivetrain?

LOL, don't listen to that other guy.

On bikes you want to keep the same type of tire for safety reasons.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Well your mechanics isn't lying. You should replace both tires to keep the wear the same. But if it was me and I don't have much wear on the tires, I would just get one.

I would assume that the tires are not as soft/sticky as the pzero.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
noooooooooooooo
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
they could have ordered the PZeros for you if you had the time to wait, they just wanted to sell thoses tires to you. it is correct to have the same tires on the backs..
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
The different brands aren't the problem. The problem is if you have a situation where one tire is a little bit different in diameter than the other, like if one tire is more worn down than the other. Slightly different diameter tires will cause the left and right wheels to spin at slightly different RPMs, which will accelerate wear on differential parts, particularly if you have a limited-slip.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
amyroxs

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to amyroxs
I had the same issue last week where one of my tires had to be replaced. I only have less then 7,000 on the tires so I just got one because the tread still looked brand new. They had to order the PZero Nero so I had to wait three days. If if you just had to replace the one tire and your tread was still good, I would have waited for them to order the one to replace it. However, it is really based on how much wear you have on your tires. That's my 2 cents
Vin:#9101585
amyroxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
LOL, don't listen to that other guy.

On bikes you want to keep the same type of tire for safety reasons.

Not true. There are new bikes that come with radials and bias ply from the fractory. Same brand but much different construction. Considering I run a car tire on the back of my bike, I have a little bit of experience.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
Running a car tire on the back of a motorcycle is about as unsafe as it gets. I've worked in a Yamaha shop for 4 years now so I have some experience plus I've been riding for years. I understand that you want more miles out of your tires but a car tire is an accident waitin to happen. Also yes it is important to have matching front and rear on a motorcycle. Sorry to thread jack.
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
ronvenna21

yup, I replaced both tires on the rear just to be sure i wouldn't damage the car in anyway. But do you think having these different tires on the back will significantly impact performance?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
2quick

Drives: none
how many miles were on the tires?
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote