Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
Tonneau Cover flew off today

We had taken the boss out for Mothers day, with the top down and tonneau cover installed. About 40 miles out and 40 miles back cruising at 73 MPH on the HUD. Couple acceletion runs up to 85 with no problems.
Approaching our exit we passed between a Subaru sedan and a LandCruiser at 72 MPH when I heard a whoosh and saw a black flash in my mirror. Sure enough the cover was gone in that flash.
12 mile round trip back to the previous on ramp so I could double back to pick it up on the side of the freeway. No one hit it, and the cover is good except one big tear on the leading edge of the right side. Unacceptable condition of the tonneau. I can't have it installed with that tear.
Is GM warranteeing these things due to the design flaw? I never noticed any rippling of the cover before it let go. Almost lost it about a year ago when I went to pick up a buddy whose suitcase was too big to fit in the trunk, but other than that it seemed good.
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Assuming you have a 2011 model vert, did you have the 2 "bolts" installed where the front of the cover snaps on?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
If there are no bolts the dealer is liable.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
If there are no bolts the dealer is liable.
one could make that argument. and another could counter with the did you read your owners manual? I installed the cover with out the bolts once and it didn't even make it up to 40 before I noticed it wasn't secured. If he didn't have the bolts I'm sure it would have been gone before 70. and definitely before 80.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Justification

Bolts installed thanks to this site. I did it myself using Dragos (I think) link.
Dealer wasn't aware of them since it was a Feb 2011 build and one of the first Vert's to arrive in state.
Guess I'll be calling the dealer in the AM.
Sad thing is I had no warning that anything was about to happen, just the wooshing sound as it departed the car. My pride wasn't helped by the fact there was some idjut in a WRX who was speeding up and slowing down, falling back a bit then pulling up along side me, while I had the cruise engaged. He had to see it fly off.. Makes you feel great about your car.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justification View Post
Bolts installed thanks to this site. I did it myself using Dragos (I think) link.
Dealer wasn't aware of them since it was a Feb 2011 build and one of the first Vert's to arrive in state.
Guess I'll be calling the dealer in the AM.
Sad thing is I had no warning that anything was about to happen, just the wooshing sound as it departed the car. My pride wasn't helped by the fact there was some idjut in a WRX who was speeding up and slowing down, falling back a bit then pulling up along side me, while I had the cruise engaged. He had to see it fly off.. Makes you feel great about your car.
Its warrantied. I had my original replaced (went from the original "snap" w no blocks, to "snap" with blocks) because of it coming lose.

The newer "bungee" style covers don't seem to have as many problems; but until absolutely necessary, I prefer to stick with the snaps... seems like less of a hassle.

I also have a 2/11 delivery- I've posted some detailed info on the "tanneau cover almost took flight today" thread on how ive successfully secured mine. Costs less than $5 in fabric and washers, 10 minutes to install and cured the issue of coming lose while driving. Fabric may not even be necessary any longer either- blocks may have cured that.. habit now
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
one could make that argument. and another could counter with the did you read your owners manual? I installed the cover with out the bolts once and it didn't even make it up to 40 before I noticed it wasn't secured. If he didn't have the bolts I'm sure it would have been gone before 70. and definitely before 80.
Actually it is the dealers responsibility to install them, this is how I lost my first cover as well.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Augie1978

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Its warrantied. I had my original replaced (went from the original "snap" w no blocks, to "snap" with blocks) because of it coming lose.

The newer "bungee" style covers don't seem to have as many problems; but until absolutely necessary, I prefer to stick with the snaps... seems like less of a hassle.

I also have a 2/11 delivery- I've posted some detailed info on the "tanneau cover almost took flight today" thread on how ive successfully secured mine. Costs less than $5 in fabric and washers, 10 minutes to install and cured the issue of coming lose while driving. Fabric may not even be necessary any longer either- blocks may have cured that.. habit now
What are the snaps with blocks? Do you have a pic?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie1978 View Post
What are the snaps with blocks? Do you have a pic?
Pic of new style Tonneau Cover design with elastic "bungee" cord with foam blocks.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=31

Instructions on installing the new style tonneau cover
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199764

http://www.archivedsites.com/techlin...operation.html

The 1st issue tonneau for the 2011 'verts had the "clips" instead of the elastic / bungee.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
When the dealer was showing me how to install the tonneau cover I had 3 thoughts.

1. That doesn't look very secure.

2. This is a pain to install and then put away later.

3. The top looks clean enough top down that I don't think I will ever put this thing on unless it is sitting stationary at a show.

After reading this, my decision has been confirmed.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Justification

Just got back from the dealer. New cover ordered, but I don't know how long before it shows up.
No one there claims to have heard of this happening before, and the Tech could find nothing in their literature about it so they just warranteed it with no balking.
Even talked with the owner of the dealership who got the 2nd Convertible they got in (I got the first0, and let him know to watch it closely. He admitted to not even putting the cover on, and usually only drives the car home at about 40 MPH.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Justification,

That is great to hear that your dealership has taken care of this issue for you. Let us know how everything goes once you receive the new one.

Regards,

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Hitman31

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Convertible
Just got my Vert back after the dealer installed the pins to hold the cover on. Also had the top adjusted to control the wind noise. Got a letter from GM about that and the possible wear that might happen. Nice to see they are on top of it. Seems like the dealerships are in the dark about the pins for the top cover though.
Hitman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I'm ebarrassed to ask this but are the guys having their tonneaus fly off making CERTAIN you're clipping the "tab" on correctly and firmly?

I always make sure it's clipped in properly by giving the "tab" a tug to ensure it's not loose. It is a little bit of a challenge for me to get the darned thing clipped in sometimes - I'll have to slide my fingers down to the "pin" to feel for the little gap between the head of the "pin" and the spacer (and even try to visualize it). That's where my tonneau clips on. I've had her up to 90 a few times and she stays on - with just the ever so slightest "flutter" every once in a while on the center back of the tonneau where she's tucked under the trunk lip.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote