Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
It's just a matter of the right conditions that cause it to fly off. Everything looks fine and then it just launches itself. There isn't much warning. You could have driven 100 in the right conditions and the top is solid but drive 55 and a crosswind could launch it. You never know. I use mine if it's calm out but I don't trust it anymore.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
It's just a matter of the right conditions that cause it to fly off. Everything looks fine and then it just launches itself. There isn't much warning. You could have driven 100 in the right conditions and the top is solid but drive 55 and a crosswind could launch it. You never know. I use mine if it's calm out but I don't trust it anymore.
I suppose you're right. All it takes is one incident under the conditions it ncessesitates in order to erode one's confidence in the tonneau staying securely place.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
I suppose you're right. All it takes is one incident under the conditions it ncessesitates in order to erode one's confidence in the tonneau staying securely place.
I lost my confidence (and tonneau cover) a few weeks ago. Had driven 2 hours on the freeway at over 70 MPH without a problem. On the return trip, we no sooner pulled onto the freeway and got up to speed, and I saw the passenger side pop up about an inch, then the whole thing disappeared. Luckily it landed in the median, and I recovered it without damage.

I know the clips were fastened when we left. The only difference was a gusting crosswind on the return trip. From what I've seen, I believe the curved surface generates a lifting effect when the air passes over it, pulling the clips up. The loops on the new version shouldn't have this problem, but I don't feel that's the best answer either. I'm working on a clip design that fits over the posts, and snaps upward.

I like having the cover installed, but we shouldn't have to drive in fear of losing the cover everytime we pass another vehicle...

...not to mention your coolness points drop to zero when parts start flying off your car as you drive by a Mustang owner!

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
I only use the cover if I'm displaying the car, and at $450 a pop I'd consider selling it for mods...
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
...not to mention your coolness points drop to zero when parts start flying off your car as you drive by a Mustang owner!
Or in my case a WRX driver

Best I can tell mine took flight from a windblast from the SUV I was passing. Just as I was abeam her rear tire I noticed her drifting into my lane, so I goosed the throttle and got ahead of her when she changed lanes into where I was. Big Frontal area from her SUV, combined with two passengers in the back seat caused the airflow to change just enough to take the cover for flight.
My dealer is stepping up to the plate to replace the damaged cover, but I'd be interested in Bodih's redesign, or perhaps some type of clip near where the "thumbholes" connect to the trim.
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Ripstang

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS convertible
I like to think of it as the James bond 007 ejection cover, it sounds cool when you tell all your friends
Ripstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripstang View Post
I like to think of it as the James bond 007 ejection cover, it sounds cool when you tell all your friends
It would be cool, if only guns would pop up out of the cover well...

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Ripstang

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
It would be cool, if only guns would pop up out of the cover well...
True,........but if there pointing forward the interior is going to get real messy...lol.
Ripstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
melbourne_ls1

Drives: 2011 2SS Red Jewel Tintcoat Vert
Told my dealer my cover came loose on the interstate at 70mph (almost lost it) and they replaced it under warranty with the 2012 version. No problems since at 85+mph
melbourne_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbourne_ls1 View Post
Told my dealer my cover came loose on the interstate at 70mph (almost lost it) and they replaced it under warranty with the 2012 version. No problems since at 85+mph
We are glad to know that everyone was safe when this happened. It is awesome that your dealership was able to replace the cover for you! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #25
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We are glad to know that everyone was safe when this happened. It is awesome that your dealership was able to replace the cover for you! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Brandon
"Brandon"???? Where'd Jeff go? 'the "Rub Mark Mafia" finally get to him???Sorry couldn't resist! (I'm actually a little disappointed I wasn't invited to the party, lol... sorry...still couldn't resist...) All in good fun... plz don't ban me!

In all seriousness, it's good to see a new face from GM on here, Jeff stopped responding to many of the problems being posted, hopefully you can help those of us in need!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #26
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Won't lose my cover again!

Finally finished my redesign of the tonneau clips. I wanted a clip that fit over the post and snapped up rather than down, so there's no way the cover can lift and pull the clips off. This first pic is of the new clip. Its made of 1/8" rigid plastic I got as scrap from a plastic fabricator. The holes are 1/2" on the bottom, then overlapped by 1/2" with a 3/4" hole. This gives it just enough edge on the smaller hole to make the post snap into it(may have to do a little sanding);
Name:  20120604_194053.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  168.7 KB

I removed the old clips by cutting the stitches holding it on, then the new clip is sewn on with upholstery thread. I drilled 11 small holes across the tab so I could sew through the tab, just big enough to pass the needle through;
Name:  20120604_204220.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  217.2 KB

Having a rigid tab to hold onto makes it much easier to slip the hole over the post. I also removed the post and turned the top hat bushing around so the large end was against the carpeted wall. This gave me more clearance for the tab to fit.
Name:  20120604_204415.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  178.8 KB

Here's my first attempt. I just glued the new design over the old tab, then drilled out the old clip to match the shape. It worked well, but was difficult to get on the post because there was no place to grip it and get leverage. The new design looks cleaner and more solid.
Name:  20120604_205030.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  166.0 KB

Here you can see how the tab sticks up, but less than the cloth tab on the old clip. Getting the tab over the post takes a little practice, but the rigid tab makes it pretty easy, ad you can feel when it snaps into place.
Name:  20120604_204834.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  117.4 KB

Just finished it tonight and went for a short drive. Had no problems up to 60 MPH. Tomorrow I'll give it some high speed runs and see how it handles. This weekend is a long trip on the highway, so I'll wring it out good.

I'll post this in the DIY section as a new thread once I've test it out completely. Hope this helps. I'm happy with it so far.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
totgate

Drives: 2012 Eurospec Convertible Manual
Looks very good!!!

/Tobbe
totgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #28
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
"Brandon"???? Where'd Jeff go? 'the "Rub Mark Mafia" finally get to him???Sorry couldn't resist! (I'm actually a little disappointed I wasn't invited to the party, lol... sorry...still couldn't resist...) All in good fun... plz don't ban me!

In all seriousness, it's good to see a new face from GM on here, Jeff stopped responding to many of the problems being posted, hopefully you can help those of us in need!
Thank you for being welcoming. I am available via PM or via the message boards. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me. Are you having any current concerns with your vehicle?

Brandon