Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Question to those with BBS. (Broken Bow Syndrome)

I noticed today while driving with the windows down the rear window really is disturbed by the air entering the car to a point where the vibrations are pretty serious. When I noticed this I rolled the windows up.
Those of you with broken bows, did you drive much at speeds over 40mph with just the windows down?
I was just wondering if this buffeting could contribute to metal fatigue causing the bow to break.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
Mine was broken when I got it home from picking it up.
Ran the top down and up when it was in the prep area the day it arrived at the dealership, picked it up a week later after painted stripes were done and drove home in the rain, windows up :(
I then noticed the rubber gasket wasn't sitting right and had them check it when I took it back for clear coating the stripes. Adjusted the top, but when checking out the dealership owners car we determined that something was wrong, and that something turned out to be the fifth bow.
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I never drive with the top up and rear windows down and mine still broke so I don't think that causes the problem.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Thanks guys, I was wondering but obviously it must have been a alignment problem or something putting stress on the frame.
So far mine looks good.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
My understanding is that the original water management bag was smaller and would cause stress on Bow #5 as it was lowering into the bag (it would also often tear the bag reasulting in back seat flooding). If you have the newer (post April 2012 I believe) water management bag, this shouldn't be an issue... At least I've had 0 problems on my 13 with 7k miles.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowVert View Post
My understanding is that the original water management bag was smaller and would cause stress on Bow #5 as it was lowering into the bag (it would also often tear the bag reasulting in back seat flooding). If you have the newer (post April 2012 I believe) water management bag, this shouldn't be an issue... At least I've had 0 problems on my 13 with 7k miles.
Mine has the original water bag, mine was built in September 2011. No problems so far with several hundred top cycles.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Mine was an early build 2/11. Replaced the water management bag twice before they finally gave me the larger design in 4/12. I was a test for the new design and it has work great since then. The bow break can be traced to the water management bag.
Since the Top & water management replacement with one off the production line in april 2012, the top has functioned great and the permagrin is alive and well. If I didn't feel the top was finally fixed I would never have invested in the IPF supercharger installed this fall.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Mine was an early build 2/11. Replaced the water management bag twice before they finally gave me the larger design in 4/12. I was a test for the new design and it has work great since then. The bow break can be traced to the water management bag.
Since the Top & water management replacement with one off the production line in april 2012, the top has functioned great and the permagrin is alive and well. If I didn't feel the top was finally fixed I would never have invested in the IPF supercharger installed this fall.
Did you get the complete top assembly (frame and cloth) or just the cloth portion. Glad to hear you got your problem solved.
When your top was down before you got your water bag replaced was the water bag tight like it was being stretched by the top or still baggy?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
I don't see how you can have the top up and windows down without causing the top to pump slightly with all the air movement in and out of the car. However, I don't like seeing it either, so I usually don't do it at higher speeds. It's causing stress most likely on the seams, or something somewhere, so why aggravate it.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
I don't see how you can have the top up and windows down without causing the top to pump slightly with all the air movement in and out of the car. However, I don't like seeing it either, so I usually don't do it at higher speeds. It's causing stress most likely on the seams, or something somewhere, so why aggravate it.
That's how I felt when I saw it vibrating like that. My other three convertibles I have owned either didn't do it at all or just slightly. But they had much smaller tops on them.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
All I know, is that I would not enjoy being an engineer responsible for designing a convertible top. Can't be easy. Especially when they are long like the one's on the Camaro. A lot of people on here keep comparing the Corvette top to this one and they are two totally different beasts. Maybe that comment deserves it's own thread...lol!
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
basecar

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red RS
I agree with SSTOKED two totally different tops. The only thing I think is after the first year GM should have gotten the top problems corrected, which I guess they are still working on. So far on my 13, no problems or leaks. I think the top looks of the camaro conv is what makes it so desired by many.
basecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Mine has the original water bag, mine was built in September 2011. No problems so far with several hundred top cycles.
My vert was also built in Sept '11. So far, knock on wood, no problems.

Like you, the vibration of the back window with the top up and the windows all the way down causes some degree of concern about the long term affects this has on the top. I typically don't drive with the top up and the windows all the way down. I'll lower the driver or passenger window maybe an inch or two. If the inside temp is still uncomfortable, the windows go all the way up and the AC comes on. I look at it as one of the many quirks to owning a ragtop.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
My top was a complete replacement, frame and cloth along with the updated water bag. My top was taken off the assembly line.
The original water bag was hard to see if it was tight with the top down but where you can see it it looked ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Did you get the complete top assembly (frame and cloth) or just the cloth portion. Glad to hear you got your problem solved.
When your top was down before you got your water bag replaced was the water bag tight like it was being stretched by the top or still baggy?