Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
SSteve
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Problems w/ Pfadt Coilovers Resolved

Guys, I'm new around here, so I hope this question isn't a newbie mistake. I searched the forum but didn't find anything relevant.

Anyway, I took my Camaro out for it's first autox race this weekend and detected a couple severe issues with the Pfadt coilovers (I think it's the coilovers at least).

The first issue I noticed is that the front coilovers are bottoming out. The car isn't hitting the ground but the max compression on the coilovers is being reached and reached hard. I have them set to 1.5" lower than stock, but regardless I would not expect them to bottom out. The track I was running on had a slight dip heading into one of the curves and every time over that spot the car slammed the coilovers. The coilovers were all set at the midrange setting of "10" just so I could get a feel for which way to adjust them. The bottoming out was so bad we didn't even bother trying to adjust them.

Also, there's a bunch of popping noise coming from the coilovers, particularly when turning the wheels while at a standstill. This got 10X worse after the race, so we put it up on the lift to make sure everything is tight. All the bolts and nuts were still torqued to specs. So I'm thinking the front coilovers are now toast

My question is, has anyone else experienced this with the Pfadt coilovers and if so, how did you resolve it? My car sounds like a rusty pickup truck with no leaf spring bushings at this point :(

Last edited by SSteve; 08-23-2010 at 10:22 PM.
SSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
Guys, I'm new around here, so I hope this question isn't a newbie mistake. I searched the forum but didn't find anything relevant.

Anyway, I took my Camaro out for it's first autox race this weekend and detected a couple severe issues with the Pfadt coilovers (I think it's the coilovers at least).

The first issue I noticed is that the front coilovers are bottoming out. The car isn't hitting the ground but the max compression on the coilovers is being reached and reached hard. I have them set to just 1" lower than stock, but regardless I would not expect them to bottom out. The track I was running on had a slight dip heading into one of the curves and every time over that spot the car slammed the coilovers. The coilovers were all set at the midrange setting of "10" just so I could get a feel for which way to adjust them. The bottoming out was so bad we didn't even bother trying to adjust them.

Also, there's a bunch of popping noise coming from the coilovers, particularly when turning the wheels while at a standstill. This got 10X worse after the race, so we put it up on the lift to make sure everything is tight. All the bolts and nuts were still torqued to specs. So I'm thinking the front coilovers are now toast

My question is, has anyone else experienced this with the Pfadt coilovers and if so, how did you resolve it? My car sounds like a rusty pickup truck with no leaf spring bushings at this point :(
I suggest contacting Pfadt directly for technical assistance at 888-972-2464. They will be able to help you a lot better than some of the internet "experts" will.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
SSteve
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I suggest contacting Pfadt directly for technical assistance at 888-972-2464. They will be able to help you a lot better than some of the internet "experts" will.
I plan to tomorrow, I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. I followed their installation instructions, so I'm sure they're installed right.

It seems that the springs on the coilovers are not strong enough or their "travel" is limited. Hope I'm wrong though
Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Spring rates, seals, I'm sure they will correct.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
VRMMMM

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
If it is the coilovers I am sure PFADT will fix you up. I bet they have a shop in Florida you can bring it to and check out what is going on. Good luck and welcome to the forum
Detroit Speed springs and Sway bars, MGW short shifter, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR bushings, Roto-Fab intake, Magnaflow exhaust, MTX factory sub, painted stripes, blacked out, recessed tail lights, Pedders sub frame bushings, more on the way
VRMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Just call them direct and ask for Aron. I have them and didn't have any issues last weekend a t road atl for the first time.
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
When you installed them did you cut the rubber bump stops? I'm no expert, but I have a California Duster!!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
I plan to tomorrow, I just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this. I followed their installation instructions, so I'm sure they're installed right.

It seems that the springs on the coilovers are not strong enough or their "travel" is limited. Hope I'm wrong though
I have never had an issue w/any Pfadt application so I suspect it is in the intial settings. What part of FL are you in?
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
SSteve
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
When you installed them did you cut the rubber bump stops? I'm no expert, but I have a California Duster!!
Hmmm, no I didn't cut any bump stops as I don't recall that being in the instructions. I'll double check that though, thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
SSteve
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
I have never had an issue w/any Pfadt application so I suspect it is in the intial settings. What part of FL are you in?
Ponte Vedra Beach, about 25 miles south east of Jacksonville
Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
SSteve
Account Suspended

I've researched this problem allot today and discovered a couple of things. There are two coilover designs for height adjustment, one repositions the the spring perch, the other repositions the entire coilover by allowing it to to be slid/screwed in/out of the lower mounting bracket. The latter design does not reduce the amount of travel when the height is adjusted.

I found this description for the Pedders coilovers: "Height adjustment is achieved by turning the entire coilover into the lower clevis. The 2mm preload on the coil remains the same regardless of height. The range of travel remains the same regardless of the installed height. As the spring perch is not the source of height adjustment and the spring preload remains the same, ride quality is identical at minimum drop and maximum drop."

Seems that I should have bought the Pedders instead of the Pfadt; I've only had the coilovers for about a month so I'm hoping the company I bought them from will take an exchange.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Yeah, all we have in this area are salesmen and little kids
Quote:
Hmmm, no I didn't cut any bump stops as I don't recall that being in the instructions. I'll double check that though, thanks!
Bumpstop cutting is just for spring changes, not coilovers... You have coilovers, right?

You might mark the piston and try again, drive it hard then see how much of your mark wears off. Exactly how low did you screw them down? If you didn't keep the measurements, measure your remaining threads.

The pfadt coilovers do reduce the compression effective distance when you crank them down, but they claim it isn't an issue.... And to be fair, yours is the first complaint I've seen of bottoming out. It COULD be something else causing the problem.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
SSteve
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Yeah, all we have in this thread are salesmen and little kids

Bumpstop cutting is just for spring changes, not coilovers... You have coilovers, right?

You might mark the piston and try again, drive it hard then see how much of your mark wears off. Exactly how low did you screw them down? If you didn't keep the measurements, measure your remaining threads.

The pfadt coilovers do reduce the compression effective distance when you crank them down, but they claim it isn't an issue.... And to be fair, yours is the first complaint I've seen of bottoming out issues.
Yea, I have coilovers. Earlier I said I had them lowered by 1" but it's more like 1.5" from stock.

I was talking to a guy at the track with a Camaro too, he was running KW coilovers and said he had a similar issue with them and had to crank up the compression adjustment to keep them from bottoming out. IMO that's not the proper solution as it could negatively effect how the car handles on other parts of the track.

Anyway, I'm thinking coilovers that relocate the spring perch for height adjustment are prone to this problem. It seems I should have done my homework before dropping over $2K on coilovers that bottom out on the track :(
Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Yea, I have coilovers. Earlier I said I had them lowered by 1" but it's more like 1.5" from stock.

I was talking to a guy at the track with a Camaro too, he was running KW coilovers and said he had a similar issue with them and had to crank up the compression adjustment to keep them from bottoming out. IMO that's not the proper solution as it could negatively effect how the car handles on other parts of the track.

Anyway, I'm thinking coilovers that relocate the spring perch for height adjustment are prone to this problem. It seems I should have done my homework before dropping over $2K on coilovers that bottom out on the track :(
I prefer pedders solution also, but give the pfadt boys a chance to make it right since you already have them. They get on here occasionally, and, like Chase said, give them a call. That's one thing I don't fault pedders or pfadt on, they're here with help after the sale