Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Duke1

Drives: 2013 Camero 2LT RS
Cold weather

My son tried to open the convertible top on my 2012 camaro today when the temperature was about 34 degrees. He said when the top started going up he heard a popping noise. Now when the top is in the down position there are a number of wrinkles, especially in the back below the window. It looks like the bar below the window has come up a little from where it use to be. Both sides of the top are pulled in. What has happened? What is entailed in getting it fixed? What is the cost in getting it fixed? Thanks for the help.
Duke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
This sounds like a fifth bow broke. Thought that problem was fixed long ago. Warrantee issue
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Duke1

Is a fifth bow one of the support rods?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Check the back window. Is it cracked? I have been told the window and/ or water bag can be damaged under freezing conditions. It sounds like the fifth bow made contact with a frozen water bag.

The manual says what the safe temperature range is for operation. I think it's 40 or above. That said it shouldn't allow operation when it is too cold.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
If you have pics of it, post em up and we can see if there is anything abnormal showing...

... or let me know and I can meet ya and take a look at it ... I just got back from Franklin (was at Cool Springs) and am not all that far away from ya!

Shoot me a PM.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
IIRC, GM doesn't want you raising or lowering the top if the tem is below 40 f.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Sounds like 5th bow broke, should be a warranty fix
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke1 View Post
My son tried to open the convertible top on my 2012 camaro today when the temperature was about 34 degrees. He said when the top started going up he heard a popping noise. Now when the top is in the down position there are a number of wrinkles, especially in the back below the window. It looks like the bar below the window has come up a little from where it use to be. Both sides of the top are pulled in. What has happened? What is entailed in getting it fixed? What is the cost in getting it fixed? Thanks for the help.
It sounds like you may be under the new warranty that comes with the vehicle. If you could please send me your VIN, I can check it for any applicable recalls or programs. Also I would recommend taking it to a dealership to see if they can diagnose the issue for you.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
i smell a troll........
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
The owner's manual tells you "THE TOP WILL NOT OPERATE IN TEMPS AT OR NEAR 32 DEGREES". Are you folks training for the Polar Bear Club or something? :(

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
got adrenalin?
Cameo "Cammy" Car Camaro

Drives: 2LT/RS 45th 2012 Limited Escape
Ground your son for touching your car ... now put your car in a warm garage ... put top up as best as you can and have your wife report the damage using her sweetest voice and smile when it gets warmer out .. just a thought ....
got adrenalin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke1 View Post

Your 2012 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Manual- 2-18 & 5-32 are a few rules you should probably go by.
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger View Post
i smell a troll........
He is not a troll. I spoke with him on the phone last night and then met him to take a look at the car to help him out.

Sure enough after a quick look, the 5th bow was broken. He also is experiencing the "wave" on both sides and slightly on the top, though is hard to tell if some may be due to the slack from the bow break.

He took it in to the dealership and they confirmed 5th bow broken and have ordered replacement bow, but are not planning to replace the entire top at this time.

I showed him the areas of the top to watch out for issues (demonstrating by showing the issues as they appear on mine)... and we chatted for about an hour and a half out in the cold. The OP is a super nice guy and hoping that he will become active in the Music City Camaro Club so we can meet up more in the future!

He has a nice, '12 2LT Yellow vert (early production ... trying to remember, but think it was built 8/29/12?). Nice car that he seems to be really enjoying (with the exception to the current borken 5ht bow).

And I don't for a moment think that this was due to "cool" weather. The broken bow issue is a design issue, nothing more ... and GM will cover it under warranty for him.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
Duke1

GynaTek,

Thank you for your kind words and coming to my defense. Originally, I was just trying to get some advice on what may be wrong with my broken roof from some other individuals with similar interests. I do not even know what the fellow meant by saying "I smell a Troll, but I do not believe it was positive. It certainly was not the best way to introduce a new person to the camaro forum. I will know better next time.