Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
HokieERVet

Drives: SIM/2LT/RS/Black/Manual
Engine cover painting question

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere- I read a few dozen threads on everyone's awesome painted engine covers but did not see this answered...

I contacted my dealer today to see if I could get a quote from their body shop about painting my engine cover SIM. He said the paint guys are not sure it would work due to the amount of heat that is generated by the engine. He said that the ones that come pre-done from GM are color impregnated plastic.

I mentioned all the painted engine covers I see on here and he said they are probably just show cars that are not driven that much...now I know some of you guys are driving the hell outta these cars.

SO......my question is- is there a special paint or process that I need to do to make the cover "heat safe"? or will any base/clearcoat system work? (I plan to drive the hell outta it once I get it )
HokieERVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
I painted mine with rustoloeum high heat paint it comes in a silver color that matches well with the SIM heres a pic of it and the paint from home depot

I've since added to the engine with chrome
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
no, I have a painted engine cover from GM and definitely looks like it is painted on and not a colored plastic.

Last edited by ffrcobra_65; 10-21-2009 at 05:23 PM.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
HokieERVet

Drives: SIM/2LT/RS/Black/Manual
Yeah...it seems everyone is using a 2 coat system and I find it hard to believe all those people are not driving their cars.

glambert1- thanks for the info- I think I just may do the DIY option...more money for other mods then!
HokieERVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
fastdoc436

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,35thLE/SS,30thAE/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
no, I have a painted engine cover from GM and definitely looks like it is painted on and not a colored plastic.
I accidently dropped my painted cover and it scratched some black paint off...it is definitely NOT impregnated plastic. Your dealer is an idiot!! I simply touched it up with GM universal black paint and then buffed it out. You can't tell the difference! If you paint your cover, I would use engine enamel paint (Duplicolor is one brand) then you don't have to worry about engine bay heat.
fastdoc436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
there is more to it than just spraying paint on your stock cover. If you want it to last, do it right. Prep the area to be painted by roughing up the surface with fine grade sand paper, clean/degrease thoroughly, apply paint adhesion promoter, paint with your color choice, let dry, apply another coat, clear coat (not necessary).
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote