Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Ciscovet
CiscoVet

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS/6mt Black
Best Portable Nav system?Questions on mounting.

Hey guys I actually have two questions. First, what do you think is the best portable Nav system in the $100-200 range?

Secondly, I drive a 1SS and the location of the cigarette lighter recepticle looks to be a perfect place to mount the Nav unit with some sort of Nav mount. Although the A/C cluster might get in the way, it might fit with a small enough mount. Has anyone attached their NAV unit to this location? And if so, what mount did you use?
Ciscovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
I've used the Garmins before and really liked them, but I just use my Droid now for navigation. I've used a TomTom once and it was alright, but it was an older version so i'm not sure what they're like now.

as for install, check this out. A couple good ideas in there. I liked the one that had it mounted to the left side and had it hard wired in.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=gps+mount
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I have an XL series Tom Tom, I LOVE IT. bigger screen, lots of options, works like a champ! I personally use the standard windshield mount most of the time depending on which car I am in. however there are quite a few mounts that will work on Ebay, just depends on which GPS you are using.

and not to mention, in my Tom Tom, I can put ANY CAR I WANT in as the car image. If you decide on a Tom Tom, go to this link for the DIY I made on putting a picture of YOUR car in your Tom Tom.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91620
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I was thinking of getting Stillen's pillar mount and then DiabloSport's Pillar insert and attaching a portable GPS to that You can wire it all behind the pillar mount...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote