Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
It's never good to bring her home on a flatbed!

I took it out today for a quick highway ride. When I got off the highway near my house and stopped at a light I noticed the engine was ticking when at idle and the exhaust sounded different. I proceeded home driving gentle when the engine shut itself down and would not start. Coasted to a parking lot and called AAA. Now she sits in my driveway.
Attached Images

Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Macky

Drives: 2016 1SS, Garnet Red Tintcoat
What was your oil pressure reading?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Thanks guys. I knew what I signed up for. I check the oil regularly and checked the oil level about 40 minutes after it shut down and the level was normal.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
Thanks guys. I knew what I signed up for. I check the oil regularly and checked the oil level about 40 minutes after it shut down and the level was normal.
Bummer, my brother....automatic?...might be those AFM lifters or whatever...good luck...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Bummer, my brother....automatic?...might be those AFM lifters or whatever...good luck...
No it's a standard.

Thanks

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Let's not turn this thread into a pissing match

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Oil pump fail?
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
I took it out today for a quick highway ride. When I got off the highway near my house and stopped at a light I noticed the engine was ticking when at idle and the exhaust sounded different. I proceeded home driving gentle when the engine shut itself down and would not start. Coasted to a parking lot and called AAA. Now she sits in my driveway.
Fuel pumps go haywire...tick, cause funky things...even with a quarter tank...they get hot, etc...might not be all that serious...
Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Soonerfan

Drives: 2013 Ash Grey Camaro
Damn....I hope she feels better soon..
Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
CHVY-2SS

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Do you work on your own vehicle? Not sure why you would tow it home and not to the dealership.
CHVY-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVY-2SS View Post
Do you work on your own vehicle? Not sure why you would tow it home and not to the dealership.
Because there is no warranty.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
...and it's Sunday...lol...AAA will tow it again for him Monday, if need be...
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
We have a winner.

It was 1/2 mile from my house.

The codes indicate it was a sensor issue. Doesn't like any major damage. But we will see.

Can't play with the big dogs if you pissing like a puppy.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...and it's Sunday...lol...AAA will tow it again for him Monday, if need be...
Exactly. I upgraded to the premium level of AAA after so know I get 200 miles of towing instead of 100.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE