Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #71
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur

Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
The only legitmate reason I can come up with and was mentioned above, is brake noise. Adding a small amount of mass to the caliper could do wonders for unwanted brake noise. Its a total jackoff fix if that is in fact what it is for, but I can't think of anything else.

Its certainly not going to damage anything to remove them and if they were on my car I would have removed them already.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #72
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
So if I just knocked the weights off, that would void the break warranty?

It's so absurd I almost believe it.....

But I don't think the spare would fit over the brembos even without the weights. Also, if it was a last minute fix, it doesn't add up. The spare tire thing was decided long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I looked it up in the service manual and those are the brake shunts.
Am I supposed to know what a brake shunt is or did these just escape from the trunk?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #73
oldsmobile

Drives: '98 Olds Aurora
Ok Teleplayer. If what you say is true how do they determine if the brakes were abused on other cars that do not have the lead weights?
oldsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #74
delius
David Hayter

Drives: F-body
OMG...FINALLY...THE CHICK MAGNET HAS BEEN DISCOVERED

I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #75
Rally Sport

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT
the only thing i can think is some kind of mass damper for an NVH issue, however that would be a piss poor way to fix a problem on a production car.....

2LT RS CGM 6M on order
Rally Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #76
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Sport View Post
the only thing i can think is some kind of mass damper for an NVH issue, however that would be a piss poor way to fix a problem on a production car.....
Whatever the reason, it screams ghetto. If there's not some really good reason, I'll be knocking them off mine.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #77
Mark Lew

Drives: 02 TrailBlazer, 10 Camaro SS
Question carliper height ?????

ha,, I think ,, is for anti-vib,, just something dum or try to fool us !
Mark Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #78
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
This may be the best urban legend ever created. I'm not saying your wrong but lead melts at 621.43 °F. I really don't think stopping at 140MPH would create that type of heat. Even if it did get that hot there would be no need for the lead because all kinds of other stuff would be melted for sure...

For the real answer look at my post, its 3 up....
nice drawing lol

and what about the adhesive that holds them on wouldn't that melt or come off well before those temps?
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #79
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
nice drawing lol

and what about the adhesive that holds them on wouldn't that melt or come off well before those temps?
I would say they will all eventually fall off. I'm starting to wonder if this thread is all a big joke. If so, haha good one.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #80
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Wierd...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #81
Jonmalibuss

Drives: 2005 Silverado VHO
Send a message via AIM to Jonmalibuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
nice drawing lol

I would have to agree! I'm sure the adhesive will fail and they will fall off with continuous heating and cooling cycles along with water, dirt, and anything else that will come in contact with them. If anything I would have to guess and this is far fetched but this is my best guess. I think this might be a way of "tuning" the suspension, I have seen testing done where they "jounce" the cars suspension on a machine to test dampening properties. I would guess those are atleast 1/2oz weights which would mean there is right around 1/2lb of weight on the caliper. I don't know if they would go to this extreme but for the handeling characteristics, WHO KNOWS? I think adjustable shocks would do the same job but then cost goes way up!!!

2005 Silverado VHO: Outlaw intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Belltech drop, 4.11 gears with Eaton LSD, Baer brakes 15" up front with 6 piston calipers, drum to disk 14" conversion for the rear, IForged 22"x10" 2 piece wheels, probably many more mods which I have missed...
Soon to be 2010-2011 Camaro SS/RS This is if the truck is worth trading in or I get it paid off!
Jonmalibuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #82
Teleplayer

Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
There will probably be a future recall to replace all the calipers with a revised version. There is no other reason I can possibly think of except to change the vibration characteristics of the setup. Basically you lower the resonant frequency when you add mass. So in certain braking conditions they must squeal, squeak, chatter or "ring" badly enough to require this band-aid.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #83
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
There will probably be a future recall to replace all the calipers with a revised version. There is no other reason I can possibly think of except to change the vibration characteristics of the setup. Basically you lower the resonant frequency when you add mass. So in certain braking conditions they must squeal, squeak, chatter or "ring" badly enough to require this band-aid.
The breaks don't move/rotate to have a resonant frequency. Also, it's only on the fronts apparently.

What happened to your previous proclamation of Brembo requiring it for some stupid warranty agreement? Quit trolling.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #84
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
There is a slight possibility that this is true.. sad, but true.. Only way to find out is to remove them..