Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Height Adjustable Coilovers?

From the recent spyshots of the Z28, many have concluded that there's a very good possibility that coilovers are included as a suspension upgrade based on the stance of the vehicle. If that's the case, the most likely supplier would be Pedders because of their close involvement with GM.

My question is, if the Z28 does come with coilovers stock, do you believe that they will be ride height adjustable like pretty much any other aftermarket coilover, including Pedders? Ride height/stance is extremely important to me from a looks standpoint and if we don't have to throw any money on upgraded components to achieve the ride height of our choice, that would be a huge benefit. It would save me thousands as this would be one of my first upgrades.

What do you think?
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
not gonna happen.
i wish as well, but if you have coilovers on a car yoiu know not many could/would use them, and even if they did they would screw them up.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I don't think they would for liability. To me, there might be a potential liability if the customer sets the car up wrong and GM somehow be found liable. I don't remember where I read something about that, but I do recall that being a potential problem.

I wish they would give us some coil overs though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I don't see a company like GM bolting on and warrantying an aftermarket part.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I don't see a company like GM bolting on and warrantying an aftermarket part.
Lets see if remember, But is Hurst not a company that that GM is bolting on and warrantying an aftermarket part. I can go on but will stop there.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Lets see if remember, But is Hurst not a company that that GM is bolting on and warrantying an aftermarket part. I can go on but will stop there.
I get what your saying but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Coil overs would be a different ballgame than a shifter.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy

You are right, with the cost of coil overs they will probably not include that in the Z28, But if you went to SEMA last year all the cars at the GM booth had the pedders coil overs on them, (almost all the camares at the show had them on) So lets hope for the 50K this car will cost we get some good components.

One last thing Going with a coil over get them a good amount of wight of the car.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
what's wrong with them installing coil overs? make them sign a waiver at time of buying if it's a liability issue. hell they make people buying a ZR1 take a class. so what the difference?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
what's wrong with them installing coil overs? make them sign a waiver at time of buying if it's a liability issue. hell they make people buying a ZR1 take a class. so what the difference?
The difference is that the class is for driving skill, and not technical ability. People can't 'adjust' the ZR1 and kill themselves because of it. And waivers are a good idea, but they'd never work...what about the guy who buys the car from the guy who signed the waiver? And think of the PR backlash!!

I'm curious why a low-stance HAS to be coilovers? A lower ride height can't just indicate a modified suspension system? Lower Springs?

IF there were coilovers on the car -- they would be preset and NON-adjustable. If the car did have adjustable suspension, it'd be in the flavor of Magnetic Ride Control, and the adjustment would be preset electronically: Soft or Stiff. Too many dangers to do otherwise...
Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The difference is that the class is for driving skill, and not technical ability. People can't 'adjust' the ZR1 and kill themselves because of it. And waivers are a good idea, but they'd never work...what about the guy who buys the car from the guy who signed the waiver? And think of the PR backlash!!

I'm curious why a low-stance HAS to be coilovers? A lower ride height can't just indicate a modified suspension system? Lower Springs?

IF there were coilovers on the car -- they would be preset and NON-adjustable. If the car did have adjustable suspension, it'd be in the flavor of Magnetic Ride Control, and the adjustment would be preset electronically: Soft or Stiff. Too many dangers to do otherwise...

true about the second buyer. but we as a people need to start taking responsibility for our own actions. setting up any car in a non manufactured way has it's consequences. is it hypertechs fault that I blew the engine in my camaro. because I had open exhaust LT headers ls6 intake. . .no. it's mine. but that's a different discussion all together.

I would love the Z to have adjustable suspension. . .seeing how I love racing and road carving. that would benefit me more then a stock non-adjustable car.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
true about the second buyer. but we as a people need to start taking responsibility for our own actions. setting up any car in a non manufactured way has it's consequences. is it hypertechs fault that I blew the engine in my camaro. because I had open exhaust LT headers ls6 intake. . .no. it's mine. but that's a different discussion all together.
Agreed on all points.

Quote:
I would love the Z to have adjustable suspension. . .seeing how I love racing and road carving. that would benefit me more then a stock non-adjustable car.
Me, too! But you have to figure, too...even if it was adjustable...the range would probably be limited compared to the aftermarket...
Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Agreed on all points.

Me, too! But you have to figure, too...even if it was adjustable...the range would probably be limited compared to the aftermarket...
yes but still available. . .and something is better then nothing. for all we know it has the magnetic ride.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
...for all we know it has the magnetic ride.
God, I hope so....
Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Why don't we ask pedders, i think if you told them that you will band them from posting any more we can get the info out of them.