Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Macamaro

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Here is how I installed my Valentine 1 with some closer pics.

I used a Fuse Tap from Radioshack but had to trim and shape it a little to fit easier into the fuse slot. This thin piece of metal is easily shaped and clipped to fit. It looks like this:

The end of the fuse tap easily connects to a wire via a quick connect terminal shown here:

I started by connecting the ground wire to the frame and putting the velcro strip for the V1 connector on. Ground wire location and velcro location shown here:

This is what the V1 power outlet looks like (Red wire for + black for -. I've also got it connected here):

Once the shaping of the fuse tap was done and the ground wire connected, I put the fuse in the fuse tap and then put them both in the F17 slot which if you read previously controls the console. Shown here:

A couple of minutes later (zip ties and clean up) I came out looking like this:

This method tucks the wire neatly under the head liner and runs the cord down to the fuse box. And thats it! Now my detector only comes on with the key.
Macamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
LightningSS

Drives: WAS '10 SS IBM, NOW '14 BRM ZL1
Well written instl! Great step by step pics too. I don't know a monkey wrench from a trunk monkey, but I think I could follow this...

By the way, how do you like that LMR CAI? I'm leaning towards it too.
LightningSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Great write up
Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Aaron1121

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Dude.....

That was a good write up, but a ton of work.

Don't take this the wrong way......

I put my detector in the exact same place as you, except I just tucked the cord into the edge of the headliner, put in inside the drivers side pilliar, and into the fusebox on the drivers side of the dash. Total time was less than 5 minutes, and needs no tools......

Last edited by Aaron1121; 07-30-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1121 View Post
Dude.....

That was a good write up, but a ton of work.

Don't take this the wrong way......

I put my detector in the exact same place as you, except I just tucked the cord into the edge of the headliner, put in inside the drivers side pilliar, and into the fusebox on the drivers side of the dash. Total time was less than 5 minutes, and needs no tools......
Wasn't a 'ton' of work. Once I figured out how the pieces came apart, the whole job(with the instructions I gave) could be completed in 10-15 minutes.

Personally I prefer a 'clean' installation as opposed to just 'tucking' wires in...but that's me...

I encourage you to share how you tapped into the fuse box...I'm sure others would be interested.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Aaron1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post

I encourage you to share how you tapped into the fuse box...I'm sure others would be interested.
Sure.

The fuse box on this car is super easy to get to.

- Open the drivers door.

- Look at the dash. The panel that faces the door when you open it pops right off, the fusebox is inside.

- Grab the bottom of the panel and pull. Three clips hold the cover, and the cover pops right off. The inside of the cover has a chart of all of the fuses. The two accessory ones are right in the middle.

- There are 5 spots labeled as spare locations in the fusebox. I checked them with a multi-meter. Unfortunately, 2 of them are not live at all. The other 3 are on all the time, which is not ideal for a radar detector. So, the spare locations will not work. You want the detector to come on when the car is on, and go off when the ignition is off so it won't drain the battery.

I had a couple of piggyback fuses in my garage, so I installed one of them into the existing accessory fuse slot for the hot wire. (One of the two in the middle) You can get them at autozone or at radioshack for about $3.

The fuse box has a upper and lower screw on the outside of the box that are both grounded. My radar detector a had loop already installed on the ground wire, so I just unscrewed the top existing screw, put the loop on it, and screwed in back in.

I will post some pics, but it was dark in my garage, so they aren't very clear. If you guys want, I can go and take some more.

(This is an easy install. Seriously..... It just took me longer to post this than to do the work...)

BTW-

2 Interesting things. The dash ABL connector is right above the fusebox behind the panel. It is ready to go, just not plugged in. I had my multimeter out, and verified that the connector works with the ABL dimmer switch. (Where are our vendors with aftermarket kits for the dash lighting. It should be plug and play!!)

When you open the cover to the fusebox, the Onstar fuse is there. There was some question about how to disable it. I didn't try it out, but I believe this would be the place.

Last edited by Aaron1121; 07-30-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Aaron1121

Fusebox location, Fusebox Cover, Piggy back fuse.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
A+ to you.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Great DIY's guys.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Aaron1121

I really wish we could get a vendor to make a radar bracket specific to the Camaro! I hate the suction cups on the window. I really prefer a bracket that puts the detector a couple of inches back from the window. It makes it more incognito..... and less of a chance of someone spotting it and stealing it.

These work great in the C5 and C6 Vettes....

WE NEED A VENDOR TO MAKE ONE FOR THE CAMARO!

http://www.vettemods.com/radarbracket-c6.htm

I've tried contacting these guys via email and phone, but never heard anything back.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
I really wish we could get a vendor to make a radar bracket specific to the Camaro! I hate the suction cups on the window. I really prefer a bracket that puts the detector a couple of inches back from the window. It makes it more incognito..... and less of a chance of someone spotting it and stealing it.

These work great in the C5 and C6 Vettes....

WE NEED A VENDOR TO MAKE ONE FOR THE CAMARO!

http://www.vettemods.com/radarbracket-c6.htm

I've tried contacting these guys via email and phone, but never heard anything back.
you and I think alike! I've been looking for something similar and really like this idea. The suction cups still allow the radar detector to 'bounce'. I've looked at other solutions that mount on the rearview mirror..but we don't have the 'visibility' real estate to give up there....

I might order one of the corvette brackets and see if it works...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
you and I think alike! I've been looking for something similar and really like this idea. The suction cups still allow the radar detector to 'bounce'. I've looked at other solutions that mount on the rearview mirror..but we don't have the 'visibility' real estate to give up there....

I might order one of the corvette brackets and see if it works...
Check here -
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...680#post742680
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Fusebox location, Fusebox Cover, Piggy back fuse.
Much thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
stirthepot

Drives: 2010
themossman - just curious, dont you find it hard to read the display of the detector over there? I ask because I have the same detector, and the same car ;-), and I actually had it there and moved it to the driver's side for better visibility and easier access to the buttons.
stirthepot is offline   Reply With Quote