Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Getting Started on Cobalt Upgrades Question

This is a very newbie-ish question to be asking, and I'm a little embarrassed to be asking it, given how long I've been around here, but I'll admit I'm clueless on the particulars of a situation like this.

Here's the scenario: I've pretty much decided to keep my current Cobalt LS and buy a Camaro (maybe used) as well maybe a year or so from now. The Camaro will be a weekend fun car and ongoing project, and I want to keep my Cobalt as a daily driver. 30+ mpg, low insurance, easy parking/maneuverability, cheap maintenance, and 72 month, 0% interest loan = perfect daily driver and I don't want to give that up. The rub is, my Cobalt is a lowly LS, with soft suspension, no brakes, stereo with no satellite radio or ipod hookups and poor sound, and basic cloth upholstery. It does have aftermarket wheels and tires, power windows and locks, and spoiler installed as part of a dealer dress-up when bought new. Since this will be my daily driver for the next few years, and I like carving up the mountain roads but my Camaro won't be here for some time, I want to make some upgrades. I have an audio-phile friend who will help with the stereo setup, and I'm thinking Katzkin for the upholstery, but the suspension and brakes are where I hit an embarrassing problem.

I've never done any performance upgrades on a car before. I can't do any work myself, as my apartment has a "no wrenching in the parking lot" policy. The apartment manager really likes us and gives us a small break on rent, so I respect the rule to remain in her good graces. I have to get someone else to do this for me, and I simply don't know where to start. This isn't going to be a big project. I just want a few very simple suspension and brake upgrades so my car is at least decently fun in the curves. I just have no idea how to find a good shop, and what to do once I find one. Can someone walk me through the whole process?

Thanks in advance for any help. This may seem a common sense question to most of you, but no one else in my family and none of my friends are into cars, so I have absolutely zero background in modifications. Any walkthroughs and other advice is greatly appreciated.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Not sure on the suspension portion, as I've never looked into it....but that may run you in the $1000's, and you might want to put that towards the Camaro instead.

I do want to recommend a K&N air filter 1000%. The thing boosted my mileage ~3mpg when I drive "normally" (which isn't babying it, I assure you). I went from 29.5-30.5 mostly highway to 33-34 mostly highway. It was roughly double the cost of a normal air filter, but I'll never need to replace it again...just clean and maintain it.

For a daily driver, I feel the mpg, and replacement benefits alone are worth investigating. Check it out.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
stovt001

I know the suspension stuff will be a bit pricey, but right now the car just rides waaaaaaaaay too high for my taste, and I'm not at all into slamming the car. Normally I wouldn't consider a drop, but I've never seen a compact car with such a tall ride height, and such a huge wheel-fender gap. I sometimes wonder if it is defective because it is so ridiculous. I'd also like to control body roll a bit. I'm not looking to race the car or go past 7/10ths on Glendora Mountain Road. That's what the Camaro project is for. In the meantime, until I get the Camaro I'd just like something that I could drive on GMR without feeling like I was going to scrape the side mirrors on the pavement, you know? The brakes also need serious work, as the fade going down the mountain just about makes me wet my pants. So advice on how to do this/where to go for low coin is the emphasis here.

Just a dream away
Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
No wrenching in the parking lot?

Thats retarded. I could understand if people didn't clean up their fluid messes though.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
stovt001

It's quite common. I know of many people in apartment complexes with the same rule. Some of the residents break the rule all the time, and for the most part they keep things clean. I could probably get away with it on minor stuff, but messing with the suspension is definitely pushing it, to say the least. I'm more than happy to play by the rules, as the apartment manager has really cut us some breaks and treated us well. Give a little, get a little...

Just a dream away
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
I think you're going to have to look for bigger tires as well. Cobalt LS is what, 16" wheels? You are going to need bigger, wider wheels, like the 19" Pirelli/Toyo's on mine. Unfortunately this might require completing your suspension upgrades first. Tires are key, but soft 19" wheels and tires are going to run you a LOT of money. Don't make any upgrades. Either trade in your Cobalt for a Cobalt SS Supercharged or Turbocharged, and then start saving your pennies for your Camaro weekend driver. You're better off spending some extra money on an upgraded Cobalt first before spending money on all the parts you'd need to upgrade what you already have existing. My Cobalt SS/SC is my everyday driver, and I love it, but my Camaro is my true weekender. Hope this helps you!
Attached Images

DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
stovt001

I already have 17 inch wheels and nitto tires, part of a dealer dress-up.

The goal is also to have an automatic for a daily driver, due to a bad left knee.

And finally, I have a really good loan (72 months, 0% interest) on my Cobalt, and I hate to give that up.

Just a dream away
Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
I hear ya. Didn't know about the knee. Sorry man. Not sure how much tighter you'll be able to make your current ride. In my experience, tires were everything. My wife leased a Toyota Camry, borrom of the barrel, and because the body of the car was so huge, the 4 cylinder engine and 17 inch wheels were totally inappropriate. Handling and turning at relatively high speeds made control challenging. Wish I could help your further man.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Save the money so you can get a Camaro quicker?

( I have an auto G5 with a 2.4 litre motor, so I speak from experience when I say, you can't polish a turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
stovt001

Yeah, I think you guys are right. Upgrading the suspension and brakes is more trouble than it is worth. I'm definitely upgrading the sound system, or at least the head unit to one with an ipod hookup, as my FM transmitter just won't cut it in Southern California. (If there is an empty station, a new Mariachi or rap station pops up in under 24 hours.) If I have the money, a full sound system upgrade would be nice. Also if I have money, I want to go for a Katzkin interior. The prices are pretty reasonable, and it would make the car feel a little more premium inside. After that, it is simple all about saving up for project Camaro.

Just a dream away
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
i would say spending money on performace for a Cobalt is just stupid. I would spend your money on the stereo and interior of the car.

Its a Cobalt.......it does not need performance. Save that money for a down payment on camaro.
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah, I think you guys are right. Upgrading the suspension and brakes is more trouble than it is worth. I'm definitely upgrading the sound system, or at least the head unit to one with an ipod hookup, as my FM transmitter just won't cut it in Southern California. (If there is an empty station, a new Mariachi or rap station pops up in under 24 hours.) If I have the money, a full sound system upgrade would be nice. Also if I have money, I want to go for a Katzkin interior. The prices are pretty reasonable, and it would make the car feel a little more premium inside. After that, it is simple all about saving up for project Camaro.
yeah FM transmitters suck in my opinion. my mustang has the aux audio jack inside the center console and i use it for my ZUNE. its awesome.
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote