Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
You got beat by a giiiiiirrl (said in a whiny voice) !!!!!!!!!

Sorry IRQ I couldnt resist......they will get a fix soon.
Like I said, I'm not blaming. I'm sure they'll fix it.

It's funny, this morning Bonnie said, "give me the key to the office cause I'll obviously beat you there".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Any update Scott?
Hey, pharmd, did you test your car before the mods? I'd be curious what you started with. You may well have got even better times if your car started with our problem.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
My L99 feels like it was tuned by the Cadalic division
During the Q&A session at Carlisle, I praised the GM team for a job well done , and mentioning some of the things I really liked about the car, but then opened up into a question about my poor dyno run for my L99, and if I was seeing expected numbers or something outside the expected parameters. . Al came back and asked me what the numbers were (I did not initially mention the specifics as I did not want to seem bashing to an otherwise fine car in a public session) . I told them it was a conservative dyno (Superflow) but it only made 305 WRHP on its best pull. http://http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=613731&postcount=14
They did not have a lot of suggestions, and I did not want to back them into a corner, so I just praised the car and moved on. At least they were all there to hear my concern (Scott Settlemire, Cheryl Pilcher, John Fitzpatrick, Al Oppenheiser and John Cox ) as well as hundreds of others. Later (after the public session) I showed AL my dyno sheet. I mentioned that my dyno operator had run a LS3 car a few days before mine and had said the timing curve on the L99 was more conservative than the LS3. Al appeared to concur that the setting were less aggressive on the L99.
Al did say that he attends a teleconference each week with the dealers where issues are brought up that seem to be occurring regularly. He suggested I have my dealer look at it, and that if they have concerns that they bring it up during the call. (He also suggested I run in sport mode more, and although it des not seem to help in Engine performance, transmission shifting is somewhat better)
I plan to take the car to the dealer and mention they look at this avenue.
Scott what was your dealer specifically going to try and do?
I spoke to Al a bit about the limitations of the DOD, but there was a lot going on around us and we did not have the time to get into detail about it. I did get the impression that some of the tuning is there to help with the reliability of the AFM (DOD). I wish I had had a chance to explore that subject in greater detail, as well as Torque Management. Al said there is always the chance of updates to the computer tune, and that the performance parts group would likely offer performance tunes (I hope to hear more about that).
I hope to get mine to the track with 2 other guys (another L99, and an LS3). And hopefully run them all together and have some more data to compare.

The pic is with Al and myself... real smart guy!. (note rolled up dyno print outs in my hand). BTW - He brought his teenage son, boy, thats one lucky kid.
Attached Images

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2

Last edited by PatrickfromMD; 06-30-2009 at 04:49 PM.
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
During the Q&A session at Carlisle, I praised the GM team for a job well done , and mentioning some of the things I really liked about it, but then opened up into a question about my poor dyno run for the L99, and if I was seeing expected numbers of something outside the normal parameters. . They came back and asked me what the numbers were (I did mention the specifics as I did not want to seem bashing to an otherwise fine car in a public session) . I told them it was a conservative dyno (Superflow) but it only made 305 on its best pull. http://http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=613731&postcount=14
They did not have a lot of suggestions, and I did not want to back them into a corner, so I just praised the car and moved on. At least they were all there to hear my concern (Scott Settlemire, Cheryl Pilcher, John Fitzpatrick, Al Oppenheiser and John Cox ) as well as hundreds of others. Later I showed AL my dyno sheet. I mentioned that my dyno operator had run a LS3 car a few days before mine and had said the timing curve on the L99 was more conservative than the LS3. Al appeared to concur that the setting were less aggressive on the L99.
Al did say that he attends a teleconference each week with the dealers where issues are brought up that seem to be occurring regularly. He suggested I have my dealer look at it, and that if they have concerns that they bring it up during the call. (He also suggested I run in sport mode more, and although it des not seem to help in Engine performance, transmission shifting is somewhat better)
I spoke to Al a bit about the limitations of the DOD, but there was a lot going on around us and we did not have the time to get into detail about it. I did get the impression that some of the tuning is there to help with the reliability of the AFM (DOD). I wish I had had a chance to explore that subject in greater detail, as well as Torque Management. Al said there is always the chance of updates to the computer tune, and that the performance parts group would likely offer performance tunes (I hope to hear more about that).
I hope to get mine to the track with 2 other guys (another L99, and an LS3). And hopefully run them all together and have some more data to compare.
Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Let's hope a fix comes in real soon as this shouldn't be happening..

In a race between Patrick, IRPQ Scott, and a turtle, who do you think would win? That would be a fun race to watch..
Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It sounds like things are slowly getting to the people who can make some decisions.
The news of performance tunes for the L99's also sounds promissing. I've never heard of GM offering anything like that for the LS1's, LS2's or current
LS3's.

Maybe they already know something and they're making plans on correcting it?
(99 Cobra comes to mind).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
#230 came to a stop and a box turtle pulled and scratched its claws. #230 turned around a drove away with her head hanging low in shame.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Getting beat by subpar cars. In the same weather and road conditions. There is NO WAY Bonnies car should be beating me like she has. Right now my car is slower than the V6 Camaro. If I wanted the performance of an LT, I would have ordered one and saved about 8k
what kind of car is she in?? that appears to be one of the newer model lexus' in your sig, and if it is i beat one in my truck(it was a friends car) to about 85 and they got side by side and couldn't pass me. my truck is no speed demon, so something must be up man.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
#230 came to a stop and a box turtle pulled and scratched its claws. #230 turned around a drove away with her head hanging low in shame.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
what kind of car is she in?? that appears to be one of the newer model lexus' in your sig, and if it is i beat one in my truck(it was a friends car) to about 85 and they got side by side and couldn't pass me. my truck is no speed demon, so something must be up man.
It looks like a Lexus IS.
They come with two engines (204hp and 306hp - 09 models). You probably raced the 204hp model in your truck.
The 306hp Lexus IS is a quick car.

But his Camaro SS shouldn't have much trouble beating it.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #23
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
They come with two engines (204hp and 306hp - 09 models). You probably raced the 204hp model in your truck.

all she told me was that it was a v6. lol. i know nothing about lexus, so idk, but EITHER WAY, like the man said your ss should walk her lexus.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #24
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
During the Q&A session at Carlisle, I praised the GM team for a job well done , and mentioning some of the things I really liked about the car, but then opened up into a question about my poor dyno run for my L99, and if I was seeing expected numbers or something outside the expected parameters. . Al came back and asked me what the numbers were (I did not initially mention the specifics as I did not want to seem bashing to an otherwise fine car in a public session) . I told them it was a conservative dyno (Superflow) but it only made 305 WRHP on its best pull. http://http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=613731&postcount=14
They did not have a lot of suggestions, and I did not want to back them into a corner, so I just praised the car and moved on. At least they were all there to hear my concern (Scott Settlemire, Cheryl Pilcher, John Fitzpatrick, Al Oppenheiser and John Cox ) as well as hundreds of others. Later (after the public session) I showed AL my dyno sheet. I mentioned that my dyno operator had run a LS3 car a few days before mine and had said the timing curve on the L99 was more conservative than the LS3. Al appeared to concur that the setting were less aggressive on the L99.

The pic is with Al and myself... real smart guy!. (note rolled up dyno print outs in my hand). BTW - He brought his teenage son, boy, thats one lucky kid.
I find it strange that the dealers, this exeutive from GM etc are acting like nothing is wrong with these cars, come on this is appauling. These cars have a serious problem. Additionally how did the test cars run so fast and ours are slow as a 72 Pinto?
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #25
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
I find it strange that the dealers, this exeutive from GM etc are acting like nothing is wrong with these cars, come on this is appauling. These cars have a serious problem. Additionally how did the test cars run so fast and ours are slow as a 72 Pinto?
That is called bait and switch... If the times were advertised as being slower than the V6 at 0-60, the auto SS would not sell.. Obviously they did no such thing, however it could be taken to court as such a case as the owner would have a compelling argument as to one of the main reasons to purchase the SS over the V6 Maro is because of the extra speed.. I don't understand what is taking GM so long to do something about this embarrassing situation. It's almost as bad as Obama taking a couple weeks to acknowledge the Iranian protesters existed. GM should learn from others mistakes..
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #26
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
wasnt this why all the quality checks and holds were done? they still can't get it together?
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #27
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Like I said, I'm not blaming. I'm sure they'll fix it.

It's funny, this morning Bonnie said, "give me the key to the office cause I'll obviously beat you there".

Hey, pharmd, did you test your car before the mods? I'd be curious what you started with. You may well have got even better times if your car started with our problem.
I ran 13.9 @ 102 2.21 60' DA +3000 bone stock, the stock dyno's were
317 rwhp/329rwtq (first pull), 321rwhp/332rwtq (2nd/final pull).

When I used the correction factor for my DA, it suggested I would have run
Altitude (in feet) Elapsed Time Factor MPH Factor
3000 .9640 1.0381

My corrected time...13.39/106.09

When I saw my times I was disappointed, I wanted a 13.6 @ 104-105, but considering the weather I didn't feel they were that far off, so when I calculated the correction times, I knew they were within reason of GM claims.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #28
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post

I ran my BMW 335i (which we traded in on the SS) at the track the week before we traded it in...the weather was comparable to what I ran the SS in, it ran 13.9 @ 102....it is rated at 300hp.

You guys need to check your trap speeds...if other cars are trapping the same or more mph than yours, that is a pretty good indicator they are making as much or more power than you are, and suggests that if you were to get into a highway run, you'd get pulled at higher mph's.

I certainly don't condone street/hwy racing, but lets be honest, we know it happens. Having said that 0-60, and 1/4 mile times even don't tell the whole story...

I saw a thread on camaro vs challenger...some guys are getting the challenger into the low 13's @ like 104ish, most of the camaro auto's that are running low 13's/high 12's are trapping like 108 or something...you get these cars on the hwy and the camaro will put a beating on the challenger the higher the speeds climb. A manual tranny car will make this even worse.

Don't be so suprised if you are stock, to have cars that you wouldn't expect to keep up with you, hang in there.

You guys that are having problems keep us updated, and GOOD LUCK!! I certainly hope the dealers are fair with you guys.