Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
2014 1LE front splitter

So does anyone know if the 2014 1LE front splitter is just a black plastic trim piece or is it painted to match?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Nobody knows??
Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I've never seen a painted front splitter from factory. They are all black.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

To my knowledge all the 2014 1le splitters are satin/flat black plastic. I do have someone trying to convince me otherwise, he is claiming that the OEM splitter is actually painted.

I just wanted to get 100% confirmation on this.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
I believe it is painted satin black like the spoiler.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I put a little scrape in mine on the bottom, and I believe it is a molded piece in the color you see, no paint.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
BLK1LE

Drives: 2014 Black 1LE SS
They are painted. Ask me know I know. New ones come in primer. $700 form the dealers.
BLK1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
BLK1LE

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369716
Old 07-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I put a little scrape in mine on the bottom, and I believe it is a molded piece in the color you see, no paint.
I was thinking the same thing. Im almost positive that splitters from the factory are not painted. I have seen a damaged one and there were no signs of it having paint on it, It looked like some tough mate plastic material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK1LE View Post
They are painted. Ask me know I know. New ones come in primer. $700 form the dealers.
Do tell, how do you know? Im guessing you damaged yours? Any pics?

I think that when dealers replace them, they are just using a cheaper primered/painted alternative.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
BLK1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Im almost positive that splitters from the factory are not painted. I have seen a damaged one and there were no signs of it having paint on it, It looked like some tough mate plastic material.

Do tell, how do you know? Im guessing you damaged yours? Any pics?

I think that when dealers replace them, they are just using a cheaper primered/painted alternative.
Mine had suffs on it and I was promised a new one. So they ordered it for me. Like I said its $700 from gm, I know it's cheaper from discount places but it's under warranty so I could care less. I also thought it was plastic until I took the 2 hr drive to the dealer which pre inspected it to ensure there were no flaws and when I asked to see it and they removed it from the box and the cover it was in. It was primer. He re looked up the part and it comes paint to match. I guess it was dark when the looked at it to ensure it was ok so I had to stay at the dealer for 5 hr, they did give me a car to drive around In though even though I had no idea where I was, for them to paint it and bake it and put it on half ass and strip screws and not put in plastic rivets where the were before. I didn't see all that till the next day though since I was in a rush to leave and they were closing. I'm so negative to dealers because of bad experiences and this proves again. All they kept saying is they work on corvettes there. They are the second biggest corvette dealer in the USA. But that means shit they couldn't even get my simple job correct. I started the the thread I posted in the link I showed you and the person who replied they talked to the person who was involved with the 1le and got the paint code from him. So If it was black plastic there would be no paint code like the splitter on the ZL1. That would have made my life so much easier.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #11
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK1LE View Post
Mine had suffs on it and I was promised a new one. So they ordered it for me. Like I said its $700 from gm, I know it's cheaper from discount places but it's under warranty so I could care less. I also thought it was plastic until I took the 2 hr drive to the dealer which pre inspected it to ensure there were no flaws and when I asked to see it and they removed it from the box and the cover it was in. It was primer. He re looked up the part and it comes paint to match. I guess it was dark when the looked at it to ensure it was ok so I had to stay at the dealer for 5 hr, they did give me a car to drive around In though even though I had no idea where I was, for them to paint it and bake it and put it on half ass and strip screws and not put in plastic rivets where the were before. I didn't see all that till the next day though since I was in a rush to leave and they were closing. I'm so negative to dealers because of bad experiences and this proves again. All they kept saying is they work on corvettes there. They are the second biggest corvette dealer in the USA. But that means shit they couldn't even get my simple job correct. I started the the thread I posted in the link I showed you and the person who replied they talked to the person who was involved with the 1le and got the paint code from him. So If it was black plastic there would be no paint code like the splitter on the ZL1. That would have made my life so much easier.
So when you bought your car brand new, it came with the splitter scuffed up?

Damn, thats pretty crappy.

The only reason I doubt that info is because I have seen the splitter scuffed and it showed absolutely no signs of paint, it just looked like marred hard plastic. There were no paint smears, chips or flakes as if the splitter was originally painted unless they had managed to "fuse" the paint to the plastic.

I saw your thread but not sure if I trust the info from the guy that chimed in since the topic was not only about the splitter but also the spoiler as well. I know the spoiler is painted so it is possible that the info got mixed up and both of the items got paired up into that paint code.

Do you have any pics of your damaged splitter? Would be interesting to see.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
theitalianflip

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1le Summit White
I am 100% sure that its molded plastic that was formed to have a flat texture. (it doesn't have any paint)

The reason why I know this, is because my dog chewed on mine when it was in the garage. :( I have a 2014 1LE, so i don't know if they may have changed it from the 2013's or not. (I know the splitter is a little different from the center)
I had a few body shops look at it to see if they can fix it, and they said its best to replace it with a new one. They said if they paint it, the paint will start to flake from being so low to the ground and hitting all the little rocks.

hope this helps.

2014 2SS 1LE summit white
theitalianflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theitalianflip View Post
I am 100% sure that its molded plastic that was formed to have a flat texture. (it doesn't have any paint)

The reason why I know this, is because my dog chewed on mine when it was in the garage. :( I have a 2014 1LE, so i don't know if they may have changed it from the 2013's or not. (I know the splitter is a little different from the center)
I had a few body shops look at it to see if they can fix it, and they said its best to replace it with a new one. They said if they paint it, the paint will start to flake from being so low to the ground and hitting all the little rocks.

hope this helps.
This is exactly what I am thinking as well. I think that chevy or the dealers are actually offering a cheaper primered piece that has to be PTM, when they have to replace it.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Amazing how a molded piece of plastic can be so expensive. What a rip off.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote