Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
ZL1 Shifter.

Thanks to a fellow camaro5 member radrace19, I was able to get my hands on not only the shift knob and boot parts numbers, but the shifter assembly as well for the ZL1. I figured for those of you interested in the factory Hurst shifter this would interest you as well. Its also doesn't have the ridiculous price tag of the hurst unit. It is a short throw shifter but I'm not sure how short. I would say near or the same as the factory hurst as a guess. Reviews have said that its leaps and bounds better than the stock. It also gives those of you wonder whether or not your current shifter will fit a ZL1.
Attached Images

Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
inquiring about the zl1 suede shift knob and boot i have the factory hurst short throw if i buy the zl1 suede boot and knob wit it fit over what i have now and work??
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
That pretty suede shifter over a few thousand miles will become a sweaty smelling funky looking piece of leather along with that suede steering wheel.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
That pretty suede shifter over a few thousand miles will become a sweaty smelling funky looking piece of leather along with that suede steering wheel.
It might help to stop eating the pastrami sandwich and fries in your car, or you could wear ventilated driving gloves. (but make sure when you drink your Chardonnay to hold your little pinky out)
Old 03-26-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
You wil probably be changing the hurst unit out over time anyway. The two littel hex screws connecting the shift lever to the upper shift attachment will be a problem in the future.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
soooo, i dont get sweaty hands, i dont eat in my car, and my shifter has been fine so far..... if i bought the zl1 shift knob and boot would it fit my factory hurst shifter and just push right on like the factory piece??
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce0387 View Post
soooo, i dont get sweaty hands, i dont eat in my car, and my shifter has been fine so far..... if i bought the zl1 shift knob and boot would it fit my factory hurst shifter and just push right on like the factory piece??
I'd like to say yes but no one actually has a ZL1 yet to confirm. I would assume just because it wouldn't really be cost effective to change the knob mount just because it was the ZL1.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolgripcopo1 View Post
You wil probably be changing the hurst unit out over time anyway. The two littel hex screws connecting the shift lever to the upper shift attachment will be a problem in the future.
This has been EXACTLY the same way almost all Hurst manual shifters have been constructed since the early 60's. And hasn't been a problem for close to 50 years. Many Hurst shifters run an upper stick that is several feet in length and with all that leverage still no problems. Any first gen Camaro owners having problems with the stick connecting bolts on their Hurst shifter?...

... didn't think so.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
djwilson

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Despite the unappetizing imagery, I was thinking essentially the same thing. I was a kid when Hush Puppies shoes first became popular (yeah, I'm old), and I really wanted a pair. I remember how unhappy I was after a few months, when the nice suede didn't look so nice anymore, due to normal usage and wear. Even if other posts make fun, I believe your point is valid. I'd want to see how the ZL1 shift knobs and steering wheel look after a year or two of serious use.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilson View Post
Despite the unappetizing imagery, I was thinking essentially the same thing. I was a kid when Hush Puppies shoes first became popular (yeah, I'm old), and I really wanted a pair. I remember how unhappy I was after a few months, when the nice suede didn't look so nice anymore, due to normal usage and wear. Even if other posts make fun, I believe your point is valid. I'd want to see how the ZL1 shift knobs and steering wheel look after a year or two of serious use.
That's why they have suede cleaning kits, and this stuff the call suede protector. I think is humorous that most of you complain about how it might look it a year, but none of you seem to care to clean and protect the suede. Do you clean and condition your leather seats? Well you have to do the same for suede. Don't make ignorant comments about Chevrolet's decision to add suede as an option if your not going to take care of it.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Any reviews regarding the ZL1 shifter after install ? Does it bolt on straight forwards ?

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Got to try out this shifter installed in an SS last night... Man, it's nice... I was able to sit down in it and instantly speed shift through 1-4 w/o missing a single point, forcing it, putting much effort in it at all.. Very nice upgrade to my SS OE shifter...
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Got to try out this shifter installed in an SS last night... Man, it's nice... I was able to sit down in it and instantly speed shift through 1-4 w/o missing a single point, forcing it, putting much effort in it at all.. Very nice upgrade to my SS OE shifter...
I've read several good reviews on this shifter, and I pulled the trigger a little while ago. Can't wait to get it! Funny thing is the ZL1 shifter is cheaper than an SS shifter... You'd think it would cost more?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote